Taxi's in Kuwait - Single Ladies beware

Gals and Guys,

Firstly, hope everyone is having a great day and enjoying themselves. There will be a nice vacation in two weeks time (starting could be thursday afternoon - 23rd Feb) and would most likely carry on until monday the 27th of Feb. If you have a chance to get out, take a break and head out :)

Now, most of you are already here, and hence its not a matter of selling Kuwait to u. we are all adults, and have taken the decision to be here for whatever period of time. it is good to watch out for one another, and provide assistance wherever possible.

there is a disturbing trend that is happening around Kuwait, and that is the abduction of single (as in riding alone) women by taxi drivers who sell them off into prostitution.

The problem is Kuwait has had a sharp increase in roaming taxis, and unfortunately a corrupt few use this as a means to earn extra income by selling women into sexual slavery.

Yes, it happens in Kuwait - they mostly target Asian women, but no single woman is spared.

As a word of caution to our female contingents, please, please, please exercise EXTREME caution when using taxi's. there are call taxis - i.e taxis u have to call to come and pick u up. their rates are fixed, they are viewed as more expensive however they are much SAFER because dispatch knows where you are and is informed when u arrive at your destination.

also, if that is not the case, and western expats can help here, most taxi drivers that are honest establish a rapport with their favorite customers who in turn get their numbers and call them when they need a lift. if any expat on the forum has such numbers for RELIABLE taxi drivers, please do share them. as it is always better to ride with someone you know.

the latest story that was in the newspaper a couple of days ago was a Bangladeshi driver picked up a Filipina and as we was speaking to his handler on the phone to arrange the selling off of his "customer", she understood every word he said and jumped out of the car. shes in the ICU.

these cases unfortunately do happen in Kuwait, with proper caution however, they will not happen to you or anyone you know.

That is all.

I will not use the cliche of today and say have a great Valentines day, as those of you in love should know its not an emotion you show only once a year, nor is it signified by Hallmark cards or red teddy bears. So guys, strive to have perpetual Valentines where you show your ladies love on a daily basis.

Peace & Love.

Thanks for the info legacy.

Whenever I do need to ride a taxi, I always go for the reliable call taxis because of two main reason: they speak understandable English and they're a registered company. The minimum fare is only around 750 fils-1KD depending on the destination.

If you ever need their number you can PM me.

back in the 90s/early 2000 when i was in school, Kuwait did not have roaming taxis at all. u couldnt just flag a taxi in the street and get in, u had to call their operator and he'd send u the taxi to ur location. safer times back then.

Thanks for the info legacy. This scenario happened to me in Saudi Arabia, i literally jump out of the taxi. My knee hurts... but i'm safe...is it safe to ride in a minni bus  even in the night?

so long as u are in a group, do not worry - yes. i believe it is safe to ride the minibus at night - the minibus concept is also fairly new here.

That is sad that this happens.

@iamme: Jumping out of a car is insane. But in a life or probably death situation like that you can probably scream for help and get people's attention  or have the car pull to a stop and immediately call a trusted friend for help.

As long as you're not alone, I guess it is. Try to always be with a company.