From Malaysia - to work in Angola

Hi all,
I was  offered a job in Angola as a rig medic.The company provide accommodation,transport service,free healthcare service and insurance scheme.
The problem is I dont know anyone in Angola.A lot of things give doubts to my mind as this is the first time I will travel outside my my country.
Please advise.

I had been to Angola 3 years ago and stayed there (Lobito) for nearly six months. Angola is quite safe place compared to neighbouring Nigeria where Kidnapping of expats takes place now and then. As for as Angola you may walk on the main road with your friends or alone till evening. Going out late in the evening is not adviceable not only in Angola but most of the African countries. Many of colleagues got mugged as they were returning from friends place o or pubs late in the evening. Apart from that langiage would be another problem. General public, Government Staff or Airport staff does not speak English. Since you are going to work as a "Rig Medic' you probably would be staying offshore where it is completely safe. All the Best.

Do not worry at all on the rig all speak english and your contact with Angola is limited as following: airport -helicopter-rig -helicopter than plane back home
very seldom one night in hotel.
Dan

+1 with what dantrinca said. The company will look after you and your exposure to Angola will be limited.

After 2 years in the place believe me, the least you are exposed to it the better. Agree though not as bad as Nigeria but I have talked to others who believe Nigeria is better. Personally I don't see it.

You will see a lot of changes in a short period of time as they rebuild. The changes are mostly for the better. That alone makes it better than Nigeria.

Hi small guy!

I received the same offer from [email protected]. I cannot verify if it is a scam or not. Are they asking you payments or anything? Be wary because there are a lot of scams online. And take note, employers do not ask money in advance, in fact, they will do everything for your for "FREE" just to get you on board. I once worked in Angola, but I am currently working in a different offshore assignment.

small guy wrote:

Hi all,
I was  offered a job in Angola as a rig medic.The company provide accommodation,transport service,free healthcare service and insurance scheme.
The problem is I dont know anyone in Angola.A lot of things give doubts to my mind as this is the first time I will travel outside my my country.
Please advise.

Hi small guy, I am also from Malaysia and I am moving to Angola for a field job. Seeing the date of your post, I assume you are in Angola already by now? Hope to get in touch and share your experiences! :)

Hi dejavu88 & small guy, we are neighbours back in Asia and now we are in the same country. Hope to meet up one of these good days. Cheers

That is just great! The world is
really getting smaller...

I worked in KL for 9 years and
5 years in Singapore.

Now, I am in Luanda... will be good
to meet with Asian neighbors and
everybody else.

Best regards,
Jun

nowaname wrote:

5 years in Singapore.

everybody else.

Best regards,
Jun

Hi nowaname, welcome to our smaller world, lolx.

I will be making another assignment in a couple of weeks to Luanda before finally settling down later in April for the next few years .... hopefully. CYA

Hi Diver7up,
I will still be around in Luanda
when you return. Next year is still
a long way to go. Plenty of time to
enjoy what Luanda has to offer... if
I can manage to get out from my
job for a day or two.

Cheers!

Jun

diver7up wrote:
nowaname wrote:

5 years in Singapore.

everybody else.

Best regards,
Jun

I will be making another assignment in a couple of weeks to Luanda before finally settling down later in April for the next few years .... hopefully. CYA

nowaname wrote:

Hi Diver7up,
I will still be around in Luanda
when you return. Next year is still
a long way to go. Plenty of time to
enjoy what Luanda has to offer... if
I can manage to get out from my
job for a day or two.

Cheers!

Jun

diver7up wrote:
nowaname wrote:

5 years in Singapore.

everybody else.

Best regards,
Jun

Not really, I shall be coming up in March for another assignment and thereafter, I may relocate,probably from April or May, to Luanda for the next few years .... and yes, plenty of time to enjoy my new country. Cheers

Hi all!

I'm a malAysian and I'm on my way to Luanda.

It'll be great to meet up with fellow Malaysians there and share some pointers.