Hotel/Hostel Downtown

I see a lot of the hotels sayn they are near the Egyptian Museum.  The museum is near the main square where the problems are happening.  Is it still ok to stay "within 5 minute walk of the Egyptian Museum" or should I look at other areas?  I would really like to walk around and see the city, I don't want to be scared off.

Any help would be appreciated.

(by the way, I know it is hot in July/August, but how bad?  They say to wear long pants and shirts, and I am usually used to shirts and short sleeve shirts...)

panther2012 wrote:

I see a lot of the hotels sayn they are near the Egyptian Museum.  The museum is near the main square where the problems are happening.  Is it still ok to stay "within 5 minute walk of the Egyptian Museum" or should I look at other areas?  I would really like to walk around and see the city, I don't want to be scared off.

Any help would be appreciated.

(by the way, I know it is hot in July/August, but how bad?  They say to wear long pants and shirts, and I am usually used to shirts and short sleeve shirts...)

It's safe don't worry ;)
and plz tell me who told u that u should wear long pants and shirts????u are free to wear what ever u want man

It is HOT here but not unbarable. I am an American expat living in Egypt and I feel safe(ish). Yes it has gotten a lot worse than in the past (ie a year ago) but its still safer than most American cities.

Long pants and shirt?!?! No way!!! Unless you are wearing a 100% cotton thin white shirt. Shorts and short sleeves are FINE!

About Tahrir Square...yes there are still some protesting, you will be FINE unless its a public holiday where there has been a big disturbance before. I go to Tahrir and feel perfectly safe and fine.

Please! Come to Egypt! Enjoy Egypt! Its a WONDERFUL and a one of a kind place! You will love your trip! (I loved mine so much I moved here just 1 1/2 months after my first trip!)