Relocating to Belize from Canada

Hi all,

I too am considering a move to Belize, and could use any and all help to find information to make my decision.
I too have dogs, and am curious about vets, pet foods available etc.
We are also planning on driving down, when we come. Driving through Mexico with my dogs worries me some, I have to admit. Has anyone driven, was it easy or did you encounter problems?

Things about rental homes and areas better to live than others and internet and all that good stuff. Any info anyone is willing to share will be welcome.

Look forward to meeting some new people(friends)

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Hi Klassic043! Pet food is not that hard to find, but variety can be challenging sometimes. Vets really depends on the area you choose to move to - some have better options than others (hint: the bigger the town you move to, the more access to specialized services like that you will find).

For instance, in San Pedro on the island of Ambergris Caye and here in San Ignacio Town in the Cayo District, there are good vets. But keep in mind, animals are not a priority in Belize and generally are treated very poorly.

If you\'re worried about driving through Mexico with your dogs, most airlines make it quite easy to fly with them, even if they\'re large - but it will cost you a few hundred dollars when you\'re all said and done (per animal).

I own a property management company and some of my rentals for the Cayo District are in the classified section of this website for you to check out. I love Cayo - it\'s affordable, very nice people, not too crowded but access to all the goods and services I need.  Internet is not a problem in Belize - widely available through the local company and/or satellite.

Good luck! Sharon Hiebing

For frequently updated info about driving through Mexico check the largest ? Mexico forum Mexconnect.com.

Thanks for sharing that, BasiaAlm! Cool site.

Hi all, Planing to caravan from southern texas to Belize sometime in the next year or two. I will have a 42ft rv with a 22 ft enclosed trailer. The trailer will have my stand up tool box, golf cart and my street legal car. Does any one have info on the boarder crossing permits for this big a rig? The online info is all about cars. Not rv's. any help and info appriciated. Thanks'
Doc Page

hello there i am looking for a home to rent dec 2012 to april 2013 this will give us time to search out a purchase, if anyone ownes or knows someone who may not be using their place next winter i would love their contact info. just my wife and i we are not high maintaince and can do handy work or remodeling if required

Can anyone tell me which is the safest good vibe beach to surf, dive & enjoy life at on the coast of Belize? I'm single & looking to find a good ex pat community city/town that I could relocate to.
Thanks & look forward to any advise/assistance.
Yvonne

Hi yvonne.glazer,

Welcome to Expat.com!

You may start a new topic on the Belize forum as well for better visibility.

Hi Everyone,
  We also are hoping to relocate to Belize next winter. Planning to run a small inn renting rooms, offering meals, etc. Is there any permits or licenses required to earn income? How hard is it to acquire a liquor license?
   After traveling through a couple years ago we fell in love with it, and are seriously looking to buy near PG Town.
   Thanks for any info.