Making the move to SA no idea about visas please help!

Hey

I am hoping to move to SA this year and just need a bit of advise, finding it difficult to get information about visas online.

So i am a registered adult nurse and have been qualified and working for 2 years now in the UK. My boyfriend is South African and we have been dating for 3 years.  Last year we moved to Canada to live together for a year.  Now we are both in our own coutries and i am looking at getting a visa to live in SA and work.

Does anyone know what type of visa would be best a LPP or a temporary work visa.  Also if it is difficult to get nursing work in SA?

Thanks any help would be much appreciated!! little bit lost with it all!

Cheers

Hi.

I would contact the SA consulate in you country and get them to send you the requirements for both visas, that way you can see what will be the best visa for you.

If applying for a work visa you have to have a job offer (that can be difficult to get while not in SA) If you are applying for a LPP you will have to prove that you cohabitate with your BF and that you share financial responsibility. That can also be difficult if you do not live together at the moment. Also if you want to work on your LPP you need a work endorsement, a job offer + some other stuff, that can be added to the LPP at a later stage, but the application process is very long (Im waiting for my  LPP since august) While you are waiting for the application you might not be allowed to work.
Yo, this is all so negative... Shame if you want to make it happen you can, you must just be patient.

On a slightly more positive side, there is huge skill shortage in SA, so it should not be too difficult for you to get a job, if your qualifications are good. However remember salaries are very low in SA compared to Europe.

Good Luck to you

Sarah

Hi

I know what you mean about the Visa situation being confusing, my boyfriend and I had the same problem trying to find any kind of answer online.  In the end we went to an agency called Global Visas who manage your case for you for a fee!  On the plus side they explain everything you need and will go through all the paperwork required before submitting it to the SA High Commission.  My boyfriend has relatives in SA including his father, mother, brother, uncle and cousins so we are applying for a Relatives Visa which means that one of his relatives has to sponsor our application to live in SA to gain permanent residency.  We have been told the whole Visa process is taking about 18 months from start to finish at the moment.  You can probably get your boyfriend to sponsor you as he is an SA citizen but don't take my word for it as I am still learning the process myself.  Everyone seems to have to have medical and a chest x-ray report with their application as well as a police check.  Since we are not married we have to agree to support each other too!  I did suggest it was easier to get married but he declined the offer!! :) Anyway, I hope this has been of some help and I will continue with my pile of paperwork for my Visa application.  Good luck!!

Hi JC. You might like to try http://www.homecomingrevolution.co.za/.  They might be in a position to help. 

Your bf declined the offer! What??? Anyway, as far as I know,(but don't count me in on this, try to find out the facts yourself) there is what they call 'common law' just like it is in the UK where couples who are not married the 'traditional' way but live together and provided that they can prove that they have been doing that and for a while, then you can get the same status of being legally married. This is my understanding. Due to so many cultural groups within SA, there is not just one way of getting married.  You might also like to try http://www.home-affairs.gov.za/ and click on 'Immigration Services'and browse there for any info you might be looking for. Hope this helps in some small way. Why don't you ask your bf to inquire on your behalf?