Job offer in Zug...Salary estimate

Hi,

I am a fresh MBA grad and have been offered a job with a base annual gross salary of 78,000 CHF. I am not sure where this falls in comparison with other salaries offered. I have heard that cost of living is pretty high. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Amit

If you're familiar with INR (Rupee) that estimates 4.2mill INR per year.

Which is
£54,000 (Pounds)
€64,500 (Euros)
$85,000 (Dollars)

Essentially, it seems "too good to be true".
As an MBA Grad, a base annual gross salary of 78,000 CHF is something you should grab with both hands, it's far more than enough to cover living costs in pretty much any country in the world.

Sorry, I totally disagree with Smith.

78 kCHF gross is 6.5 kCHF per month, this is almost a rip-off for an MBA graduate. As a normal Master's graduate (read: normal master, not MBA, which is arguably worth a little bit more) you would get a starting salary of 7 kCHF per month at one of the large banks or the famous electrical engineering company with the three red letters. Of course if your employer is merely an SME, than maybe 6.5 kCHF is acceptable to start with.

As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't accept anything below 7 kCHF gross per month as an MBA graduate.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies (they vary quite a bit :))
The pay is for the year as a management trainee. Also they are providing some relocation support i.e. 2 months accommodation and airfare etc., some benefits such as food coupons, transport reimbursement etc.

Thanks

Ok, that changes the equation a bit. Since this is "merely" a trainee position, the salary and perks are fair. I didn't know it was about a trainee position, as fresh MBA graduates usually start at higher levels at the two large banks or the said electrical engineering company.

Costs of living are exceptionally high in Switzerland, particularly because of the current exchange rates. Because of the financial crisis, euro, pound and US dollar have lost 20-25% against the Swiss franc in the past three years.
Therefore, a 6.5 kCHF gross salary per month is not worth as much as it would be in the USA or the UK.

Good that you'll get some help on accomodation. Accomodation costs in Zug can be astronomous. 2,000 - 2,500 CHF per month is not unusual for a one-bedroom appartment in Zug...

Hope this helps
Twan.

I've read in a forum that for a simple office job they're paying you about CHF4,000-5,000/ month. Is it true?
for example i've studied executive administration for personal assistants (private commercial greek-english college) +seminars+ 3-4languages+ 10years experience. How much they'll give me??

That's more or less correct. Don't be mistaken. 4,000 CHF gross per month looks like a lot of money, but costs of living are high in Switzerland. It is almost impossible to live on 4,000 CHF gross per month for a family with children.

At http://www.jobs.ch/de/salary?gclid=CKzg … tAod-BliJQ you can compare salaries for Switzerland. Also in English, French and Italian available.

Hope this helps,
Twan.

Yes, i assume for a family, living in S. it's almost zero.
Thank you again! :)

Hello Hadenhester,

The salary will depend not only on education, but also on the
job on offer, your experience, and the sort of company you're going
to work.
As taxes and costs of living vary around the country, salaries
may vary as well.

I made an example with the "Salary Calculator" at
lohnrechner.ch.
Research & Development, no management tasks, age 30, 5 years
of experience, 42 hours per week job. Salaries (CHF gross/month):
Lake Geneva area: 6,440-7,210
Bern area: 6,740-7,320
Basel area: 6,140-9,240
Zurich area: 6,860-8,000

Figures show the 25% and 75% segment. Example: for the Bern area, 25% of the jobs pay up till 6,740 per month, 75% pay up till 7,320 per month.
Figures will vary according to job type, hierarchy, age, experience.

Hope this helps.
Twan.

Is the field of policy and public affairs strong in Switzerland?

Yes, one could say so - though I do not know in which extent that influences salaries.
As Switzerland has a direct democracy, there are many elections and referendums, and as a consequence of that, there are a lot of campaigns, political discussions, and so on.