Cairo/Egypt questions

Hi
I am considering an offer as an IT Program Manager in big company in Cairo, and have few questions.

1 - Would USD 100K + housing + schools + car allowance be a good package for this professional level.

2- Social and sports life for kids. I hear all major sporting clubs (ex. Rehab city) need a big lump sum for admission, like a USD 20K+. Is that true? Are there other options to get involved in social life or sports? And is it normal to ask for this a part of the package?

3- I will be on the Kournish El Nile office. If I live in one of the new communities like Rehab or Qatameyya, how would my commute be? and how is parking around this area of city center?

4- Should I ask for a driver as part of the package to? I am concerned how my family will get around for sports and social activities?

Thanks and appreciate your help.

Hi.

1.  100 K is an insanely high salary in Egypt.  Roughly it is 563,000 LE (Egyptian Pounds).  The average Egyptian Salary is 1,500 LE per month 18,000 LE per year or LESS.  So, yes, you can live very comfortably on that.

Housing - I heard you considering Rehab - you could rent an apartment in Rehab for as little as 1,500 LE per  month.  The villas slightly more 5,000 up to 10,000 depending on level of finishing.  (On a personal note though, Rehab is very isolated and not good for socializing or young couples who want a nightlife.)

Schools - Tuition for one child per year anywhere between $3,000 and $8,000 per year depending on what school you choose.

2.  Yes, this is true.  In order to join the clubs you have to pay a yearly fee up front.  Some (Like Wadi Degla) have 6 month packages for foreigners, but it is still pricey.

3.  To get from Rehab or New Cairo to the Nile Corniche everyday during business rush hours - you are looking at a horrendous commute.  You could be looking at spending a total of (roundtrip) 3 hours per day in the car.  Maybe more.  As the crow flies Rehab is not that far from Maadi.  During off-peak traveling hours you can drive from the Nile Corniche to Rehab in 45 minutes.  During peak rush hours 6 am to 9 am and 3 pm to 6 pm - you are looking at double - even triple the time.

4.  Absolutely.  A driver should be part of the package.  At least for your daily commute.  For social activities you can easily hire your own driver.  Just find a taxi that you like and most of the drivers carry business cards.  They will give you their number and you can arrange transportation with them directly.

Thanks 1fleetingglimpse, very informative answer.

So what would be a good community to live (and buy eventually) in if I work in around Nile Corniche? Is it Zamalek, Maadi or Dokki? Others?

I hear the big advantage of living in new communities, aside from the green spaces, is ease of parking. If I live in older ones like Zamalek or Dokki would I spend hours trying to find a parking spot (assuming I or my wife will drive ourselves)?

I also have another question, does anyone know how much taxes expats pay there? is it 25%?

Yes, Rehab has more green spaces and ample parking (but that could change).  I hate to sound biased because I live in Maadi, but I would have to reccommend Maadi for you.  Your wife would feel less isolated and be closer to shopping.  She would be able to walk easily if she decides not to drive, etc.  Zamalek is an ok neighborhood for the single 20 somethings because it is close to all the nightlife.  For couples with children Maadi is a better choice.

Here is a link I found to the Wadi Degla sporting club which is in Maadi:  http://www.wadidegla.com/

If you look at the membership page you will see the special rates for foreigners I was talking about before.  This is a nice club, I have been there once as a guest.

Sorry, I can't answer your question about the taxes.

I don't know about the taxes either, but I also would recommend living in Maadi (I live there too, so I'm biased). In addition to social activities for your wife, there are several international schools here, including Cairo American College and the British International School. If you have a driver, you won't have to worry about parking other than at home, and your boab usually can be paid to reserve a spot for you if your building doesn't have a garage.

Of course, depending on where on the Corniche your office is, you may be closer to Zamalek, which is also an expat haven, though not quite as child-friendly as Maadi. You and your wife probably would be happy there overall, but your kids might have a nasty commute to school.

Good luck!

I am looking at moving to Maadi, but my only concern is the air pollution.  My wife has asthma and I would hate to move there and have to manage the health problems after.

Hey everyone . I have a basic and simple question. I do want to move to Cairo and i ' m confident that i can get a decent job but i want to do my job hunting while i'm over there. If it took two months before i get a job , how much money would i need to have in my pocket. I am a smoker and i love my lager :):):)

thanks

@mohameda, hi i am living in rehab and yes it is a little bit isolated from social foreigners live but you have everything here and if you have a driver it will be very fine. about the air and pollution it is the best place to be in cairo honestly i went to maadi, and yes it is full of foreigners and so on but it is far from being as clean as rehab. Plus if you have a car rehab from maadi is direct in the highway 35 mins. well it is my opinion. Good luck!

Hi,
Regarding Rehab Club Admission Fees, alternatively you can use the Flat mempership Card if rent.
Save your money.
IMIG

oilpatchkid wrote:

I am looking at moving to Maadi, but my only concern is the air pollution.  My wife has asthma and I would hate to move there and have to manage the health problems after.

Don t worry too much about this problem!
Maadi is not the heart of the city, is on the edge and there are much more dusty places and areas in Cairo than Maadi. I live in Maadi at one end near auto-road and I feel it is not so bad!
And I had problems with my breath too, as well with my vocal cords and it is ok! at least now!!!  but in summer....

I find the same thing as Valibilic and don't seem to have problems with breathing.  I was diagnosed with asthma and have had breathing problems at home (damp, rain, cool of Seattle, WA area) but it completely goes away in Egypt.  My "asthma" is more of an allergic reaction to something in the Pacific Northwest air.     

valibilic wrote:
oilpatchkid wrote:

Don t worry too much about this problem!
Maadi is not the heart of the city, is on the edge and there are much more dusty places and areas in Cairo than Maadi. I live in Maadi at one end near auto-road and I feel it is not so bad!
And I had problems with my breath too, as well with my vocal cords and it is ok! at least now!!!  but in summer....