Affordable hotels in dammam for weekend!!

My fam and I would like to spend a wknd in dammam / khobar (we've never been that side yet)
We'll be driving from Riyadh with our two small boys. Where would we be able to find nice, affordable accommodation preferably at the beach.
And with regards to travelling, is there anything in specific that we need to know about the road??
Thanks in advance!!

Be very cautious while driving. There are certain highway "rules" between drivers that you need to be aware of. Never drive on the left most lane unless you are faster than the cars behind you. You'll find some crazy drivers on the left lane, driving as fast as 180-200 KM/h. Stay away from them. If you need to pass the car infront of you, do it, but only when the left lane is clear, and you know it's clear. I'd also avoid traveling at night.

Don't exceed 120KM/h to be safe (speed limit), as there are some hidden high-speed cameras on the road. A friend of mine over the course of a couple of months had a balance of 9k SR of unpaid tickets. He didn't even know he had them. He has business in Dammam so he goes back and forth.

There's also the option of taking the train to the eastern province. Safe and cheap if you don't mind renting a car once you get there, or taking taxis.

Stay safe.

Very helpful indeed!! Thanks so much!!
Do u perhaps know of affordable hotels??

The Park Inn hotel in khobar is new, nice and only a few km's from the corniche.
..not sure what you consieder affordable but it's about sar600 per night.

As for driving, sure you need to keep your wits about you but it's pretty easy during the day time. Just remember to fill up on the way out of Riyadh and should be able to do it on a single tank of gas in under 4 hours.

Thanks a lot! Your help is greatly appreciated!!