Buying a car (new or used)

Hi all

I will be moving to tripoli soon, infact on 8th August.
my company will provide me car for first 3 months after which i need to manage my own.
there is very little info on net about car buying/selling in libya.
the only site which gives you an idea is carlibya.com

my observation is that prices vary a lot among the dealers for the same brand/year/model.

has any one experienced buying cars from dealers?
do they bargain? if yes then by how much %?

i read sandman6 suggestion to buy vehicle from leaving expat which seems like a reasonable idea but in case you are not lucky and need to goto dealer, is there any advice?

Your inputs are welcome
and see u all soon

Rgds
Waqas

I have been mulling over buying a car since I got here in Feb this year, I think I have visited most dealers in Tripoli, the hot spots for car sales are Ashwani Road (called swaney road by ex pats) but excuse the spelling, the other most popular street is 11th June street, there are lots of dealers there, but you don't get any warranty. They only typically drop around 500 lyd off the price if you are lucky, but watch out for ex-pat prices, I have got to know what some models sell for, so if I can help ask away.

If you want brand new with a warranty, your choicen is either Kia Motors on Gargareshb road, or Suzuki on Sal a Eiden Road, there is a chevie dealer accross and up the road approx 2 km from the Suzuki dealer, he also offers a warranty.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Geoff

Hi there I'm looking for a good second hand car what could I get for 3000 pounds? In Libya .
Regards
Donna

Thanks Geoff for your reply.
I understand you work for Waha, do they offer a interest free loan for car. i will be joining Zueitina Oil on 10th August.
so there are no dealers for cars like toyota/honda/BMW/etc.
i noticed dealers sell all sort of cars so they can not be authorized dealres.
have u succeeded in making up your mind?
whats your feeling, dealers try to exploit expats? means is price of a car different for local as compared to expat.
i am just afraid if the 2009 new cars from the dealers are not tempered(with odometer).
so only suzuki/chevy and kia have authorized dealerships?
hmmm...buying car would be fun....

good luck with your efforts and i will join u soon...

rgds
waqas zafar

donnatellah wrote:

Hi there I'm looking for a good second hand car what could I get for 3000 pounds? In Libya .
Regards
Donna

I think you can get Kia Kalos, Hyundai accent / year 2004 or 2005, you may need to add some more, just be careful when buying the car as you may come cross a cowboy or something, if you know a local friend, it'd be great as he will show you around and get the lowest price possible.

I hope you the very best

Salim

to Mr. Waqas:

There is a BMW/Toyota Dealers in Libya. the thing that if you go to 11th of June Street, these are not official dealers.

about car finance, I think local oil companies will not offer u one coz u're a new worker, minimum 2 years I think.

regards
salim

waqas wrote:

Thanks Geoff for your reply.
I understand you work for Waha, do they offer a interest free loan for car. i will be joining Zueitina Oil on 10th August.
so there are no dealers for cars like toyota/honda/BMW/etc.
i noticed dealers sell all sort of cars so they can not be authorized dealres.
have u succeeded in making up your mind?
whats your feeling, dealers try to exploit expats? means is price of a car different for local as compared to expat.
i am just afraid if the 2009 new cars from the dealers are not tempered(with odometer).
so only suzuki/chevy and kia have authorized dealerships?
hmmm...buying car would be fun....

good luck with your efforts and i will join u soon...

rgds
waqas zafar