Australia expat guide online!

Hello!

The Australia Expat guide is online! Find useful information about how to find a job, open a bank account or study in Australia and share your experience by adding an article! Everybody can participate!

To add an article, simply click on the "write an article" box in the right hand menu. It's simple and easy!

What are income taxes like in Australia...really?
I've heard "47%", but about deductions, exemptions for the little kids at home and all?
Also, what do you actually get for the tax dollars taken? Is college/university paid for?
Does the public health care system actually work? Is Private Healthcare expensive?
Sorry...I know, way too many questions for one post...

Hi edeckard,

did you have a look to the Australia guide?

edekard,

I went online and read through the ATO (australian tax office) webpage and found the same info you quote.... 47%.  However we've been told that temporary residednts (foreigners with 103 years residency) pay a lower rate.  I've not been able to verify as of yet.  Please post info on this as you find it.

47! wow thats amazingly high.

WAAAiiitt.

I just read thatthe structure of the tax is progressive (as ofc I thouught) and from 0 to 6k there is no tax on income, and then the scale goes up from 12 percent to 45 percent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_in_Australia

We consulted with a tax pro in Australia referred to him by the company that offered husband a job.  Applying credits for being expat (can't remember the name of the credit) our effective tax rate drops to about 25%.  Do-able.

we only pay about 25% tax on our income I think anything over $85,000 goes to a higher rate but no where near 45%. Alot of tax benefits here compared to NZ:D

You can ask an accountant here to give you a tax estimate based on your expected earnings here.  Select ones can give you a really good estimate and take care of the US taxes (yes, Uncle Sam wants your doug even if you didn't earn it there).  It is a progressive tax scale so it isn't as bad as 47%.

On the flip side, the government debt is low here so you have to dig deep to figure out if taxes are really "too high".  It is higher than the US no matter what.

You can find names of accountants via the US consulate website.

John