Getting electricity hooked up-help!

After a long and tedious year of planning, I arrive on February 8th with two frightened cats in tow....

I have tried calling PREPA.  Everything this forum warned about is true, you can't contact that company using fax or phone....I'd like to get the electricity order in, but no one has responded to to the documents I mailed in.

Suggestions?  Do I have to wait and go to the Ponce De Leon office in person next week?

Hi Chuck,

It's been my experience that if you need anything taken care of, i.e., power, water, cable, internet, etc. you have join the rest of the population and go there in person, take a number and wait. Sometimes you have to wait a very long time. But if you catch it on the right day it's not too bad. Quite a few things here will be slower than you are used to. One nice thing about waiting is that people here are more prone to strike up a conversation with you to help pass the time. A lot of services aren't always updated  but once you get your utilities taken care of you can pay them online. Also you can pay your bills at most farmacias. A lot of little things we take for granted won't be found here. It's all part of adjusting to life on the island.

Gregg

As I suspected, thanks.  I hope it doesn't take a week or longer to get the lights on tho, I'll be literally burning the midnight oil.

You should be OK. We live in Moca and got our power turned on the same day we applied. Go early. Water might take a couple of days. Internet and cable a little longer.

Welcome to PR!

I believe that it is standard practise (at least highly recommended) to visit the local AEE office in person *along with* the previous tenant / owner.

This will help insure the previous is closed out and not added to your statement. Also, a $100 deposit is required from the new AEE customer to be paid at that time.

Same for the water company (AAA) if you will have your own meter.

Done!