Another newcomer:)

Hi all,
I am Ian and currently settling into life in Israel.  What brought me here from London? Well my wife is Israeli and we are happy to try and experience life here.
Scheduled to start in Ulpan Gordon in Feb 13th so until then just enjoying myself and meeting new people!
Ian

Hi Ian!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Hi Ian,
Welcome to Israel!
I made aliyah, also from London and also with an Israeli partner, 25 years ago. And I survived!
I don't know how well you know the country or the people and how prepared you are for the differences.
As with every society, there are both good and bad elements.
If you ever feel a bit down or regretful, just watch Sky News every day, or read the Daily Mail on line.
They will show you what you are missing, and for sure will toughen up your desire not to return to the UK.
Good Luck

Andyboy

Hi Andy,
Thanks for your email.
In truth, I haven't really missed my old job or London specifically since coming. Been so focused on settling in and looking to the future.
As with London, Tel Aviv can feel quite daunting at first - in that everyone is busy and it is not as if everyone is speaking to each other on the streets!
Will be getting into a routine and getting out there soon to meet people so pretty positive.
All the best,
Ian

Hi! I've recently made Aliyah from Chicago for my Israeli partner as well. Seems to be a very common story :) I've definitely thought that there needs to be some FB group or what-not connecting those of us with similar stories. That's the one thing I've found so far about being here: finding a community has proved to be quite hard! I think there is a major lack of programing/ organizations for expats unaffiliated with a particular program, university, or such. If you find anything, share please :)

I also go to Ulpan Gordon. It's a great place!
Ashley

Hi Ashley,
Yes it very common that people have moved here for spouse/partner. More than I thought it would be! There are a few things going on for expats I think. Private message me if interested - I attended an event a few weeks back in Tel Aviv.
What class are you in in Ulpan? I am in Alef++.
Ian

Hi Ian!

I was also in alef+ and will be starting alef++ on the first of May! Very excited to keep going... this long Passover break is already killing me!

What kind of events have you found?
Ashley

Hi guys, I am also pretty new here and came for my partner, like everyone else ;-)
Should you be keen on organizing a get together with everyone interested, let me know, could be fun :-)
Cheers,

Lilian

I would love to organize something! After 8 months here, I am anxious to meet some people to have fun with! I would love to host something, but I live out in Ness Ziona. I don't know how keen everyone would be to come out here? Otherwise we can just plan a beach picnic or something nice like that?

Let me know! Shabbat Shalom!

Hi Ashley, a picnic on the beach sounds great...I am in TLV so we should definitely speak about it in more details :-)
Shabbat Shalom

Shalom!

I decided to a create a Facebook group for us all to join so we can easily plan things and communicate. There are so many different threads on this topic and another thread I'm in on another board and I'd like us all to join forces! Here's the link. Request to join and I'll approve you :) This way we can meet up easily!

facebook.com/groups/333997326654396

Ashley, this is great....I will join right away :-)
Toda raba

Great idea Ashley,
I will also join the Facebook group.
Thanks
P.S. Hope the return to Ulpan after hofesh was not too difficult!