Anyone Living/Recently visited in Ethiopia (Addis Ababa) ?

Thanks for filling me in.

I move in August and have a place to live. I  will be teaching.

Really looking forward to it.

I will be back there sometime this fall.  I'll let you know, if you are interested.  My husband is working for Ethiopian Airlines and I travel back and forth to the States.  I think you will like it.  Only the most opened minded get along there, though!

Do you know what the situation is regarding buying a washing machine? Also are there many stores in general?

Thanks

Yes, you can buy a washing machine.  I would suggest you make friends with a local cab driver.  They tend to know where everything is!  I can give you our friend's name and number if you would like.  He is great, although he does charge 50 Birr an hour, which is WAY too much.  But in the beginning he may be worth it.  He speaks and understands good English and is trustworthy and honest.  There are a lot of stores to buy almost anything you want.  But it's all kinda pricey because of the import/duty taxes.

Hey..

I got a job in Addis Ababa My plan is to come there in a week

Please Provide the basic information about AA this days.

Aslo Give me the idea about Standard of living..

If I have 9000 Birr Per Month .. Then its enough to live there for almost 2 person ( Me & my wife)

If i come there with my wife then hows the environment there??

I am in hurry please guide me..

regards..

DD

AA is a safe place, in my opinion.  I walk just about anywhere and have even started taking the blue taxi vans!  The weather is gorgeous but the rainy season starts about now and will last until mid Sept.  You will need a good, sturdy umbrella because it can be windy, too.  9000 birr is a lot of money here!  Do you have a place to live already?  There are a LOT of very nice houses to rent and you can have a gardener and cook/housekeeper live on site for little money!  Unless you have a generator you will have days of no power and some days of no water.  IT's a PAIN!  So get a generator for about $200, I hear.  Now sure what else you want to know.  Look at my other posts!  nj

Hi there,

Thanks so much for such useful info! I was struggling to find what I needed - so this thread has been great.

One thing from a previous post worries me a bit - the mention of the need for Security. In SA, where I'm from, the security situation isn't great, but even there I didn't have to have 2xguards if I lived in a 'house'. Is it really necessary to have security guards day and night?

Any advice on this please, would be most welcome. So too any info to help me budget for buying a vehicle while I'm there (my husband is thinking a Toyota 4x4 bakkie / truck might be good, but what will it cost me?).

Wild child
:)

might help on finding a job in Addis as a teacher.

Hi,
it is true that crime or violent crime is very rare in Ethiopia,including the capital.
But as you know the present leadership in the country is very unpopular,actually it is called puppet of the Anglo-Americans. Those who were in Addis Ababa in May 2005 really know how unpopular it is,and people compare the regime with the former apartheid regime in South Africa for two reasons:
1.Bantustanization
2.and dictatorial rule by a minority ethnic group(Tigre, about 6 %)

As whites in apartheid South Africa the Tigres control all key areas in the country.
For example some 94 % of the most senior command posts of the Defense Ministry are occupied by ethnic Tigres
( check: http://nazret.com/blog/index.php?blog=1 … &tb=1&pb=1 ).

So because the West supports such an unpopular regime there is some kind of hostility toward Westerners.And the Americans for example fear that their citizens could be targeted by opposition groups,and have taken very high security measures,which includes employing guards.

So the violence the Americans are afraid of is the politically motivated one.That is difference.

born_to_be_wild wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks so much for such useful info! I was struggling to find what I needed - so this thread has been great.

One thing from a previous post worries me a bit - the mention of the need for Security. In SA, where I'm from, the security situation isn't great, but even there I didn't have to have 2xguards if I lived in a 'house'. Is it really necessary to have security guards day and night?

Any advice on this please, would be most welcome. So too any info to help me budget for buying a vehicle while I'm there (my husband is thinking a Toyota 4x4 bakkie / truck might be good, but what will it cost me?).

Wild child
:)

Thanks cherkos.

That's useful to know.

Ok, so now all I need to figure out is how to get around long-term in Addis / Ethiopia. What is the second hand car market like and how can one go about looking for wheels? What type of car is best - I'm not mad keen on the idea of a gas guzzling 4x4 but am realistic enough to know that many of the roads are best taken using higher clearance vehicles.

Any advice anyone?

njmushtare wrote:

AA is a safe place, in my opinion.  I walk just about anywhere and have even started taking the blue taxi vans!  The weather is gorgeous but the rainy season starts about now and will last until mid Sept.  You will need a good, sturdy umbrella because it can be windy, too.  9000 birr is a lot of money here!  Do you have a place to live already?  There are a LOT of very nice houses to rent and you can have a gardener and cook/housekeeper live on site for little money!  Unless you have a generator you will have days of no power and some days of no water.  IT's a PAIN!  So get a generator for about $200, I hear.  Now sure what else you want to know.  Look at my other posts!  nj

Hi!

Can you help me out with info on

Guesthouse: any website
Salary & daily allowance: 250birr a day is enough or less
Food: what is the cost??
Travel: what is cost by private taxi??

Is it safe for family???

Tina
India

I don't have any ideas about guesthouses except that there are a lot of them.  How long will you be here? We have friend that lives in one but he is always worried theft so I won't recommend it. 

250 birr should be plenty per day.

Some food is inexpensive, some pricey.  Depending on whether it was exported or is from Ethiopia.  Bambi's  grocery caters to expats and is expensive but sometimes you have to go there for certain items.  Not all stores carry the same things so it's best to keep looking if you don't find it.

We won't pay more than 60 birr for private taxi and that is a rip off!  We used to pay 50 but the price of gas has def increased so they won't 60 from us ferengi now.

I do feel safe here, even as a white ferengi.  Most people don't mind us here.  Very few are ferengi haters, but you get racism anywhere in the world!

How long will you be here?  Permanently?  The weather has turned GORGEOUS with low humidity days, slightly breezy and mild temps for the day and cool at night.  I love it!  If you come now it will spoil you!

Thanks a lot

more queries:

- (Expat) tax for indians who re on projects (duration 1 month to 2 yrs)

- any indian guesthouse

ur inputs have put me on ease'

:-))

Glad I can help!  I don't know of any Indian guest houses.  Be sure to post that question.  Its highly possible.  BTW, the BEST Indian food in town is on Bole Road, Sangam!  I hope you think so, too.

i have moved from australia to Ethiopia am Ethiopian but know  living here in addis for the last 2years if you need help I will do my best to help out on any topics you may need in ethiopia to all australian.

I live in Ethiopia and Ethiopian. For your Q's, I know where you can rent a SIM card or cellphone, the name is called Red Zebra around Bole Road.
I got it by googling

Hello Regina,

I am an English language teacher, may be if that is your area, you can try our school.

Regards

regijasana wrote:

Hi! My name is Regina. I will be traveling to Ethiopia after graduation in December 2008 and would like to make a few contacts before I enter the country. I have never been away from the United States, and am a bit hesitant about the trip to Addis Ababa. I've read the entries above, and feel more confident about my choice to teach in Addis Ababa, but would still feel much better if I were to meet a few people who knwo a little about the area.

Any information and/or suggestions will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ms. Regina Butler

I've lived in Addis Abeba for 2 months. I find it very difficult to find a decent house for a single, European standards. Almost all are not furnished, so it is difficult if you think you are staying a few months. So now I went back to Italy for Christmas holiday and still I don't have any accomodation. I teach at the Italian school.

Hallow treesloth, I am interested in moving to addis with my wife and 2 children and I have three questions I would like to ask.

1.What paperwork do I need to file in order to make a successful         migration?
2.Is it hard to find a job in Addis Ababa?
3.What is the average income in Addis?

Hello thomas1979.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Have you read the above thread yet? There are lots of infos which may help you.

Thanks.

Karen :)

just go man    get a guide and eat clean food no indian and no ethiopian rest.  visit yemeni restuarants only

[moderated: off topic]

[Moderated: pls send a private message with you personal details]

[Moderated: avoid free ads pls]

Am very much interested to help u inbox me

You do not have to worry about any issues with Somalia, I would pay careful attention to the international news,  and check with your embassy before you intend to leave. Also register your trip with them. Eyes and ears open. Do not make friends with anyone quickly.

Hello
I am living in Addis Ababa but working by traveling through out the country if you decided to come every thing in Addis going ell and it welcome you any time you decided. dont hesitate to come.

Hi newbies, l've visited Addis twice in the past year. It's a good place to go as the people are very friendly. Just curious because l'm white! I am going to live there in a few months. The only thing you need be concerned about is transport. They have 15 seater minibuses that take 20. They tend to stop anywhere and you haven't a clue where they are going. I'm lucky as I am staying with an Ethiopian,and I won't go anywhere without him. Taxis?  You'll be lucky to find one that isn't falling apart. Watch out for pickpockets. Other than that it's great, cheap beer!!

Hi

My first visit to Ethiopia May 2016. My next visit was Feb 2017 to April 2017. My latest visit May 2017 to June 2017.

I left Addis Ababa on the 9th June 2017.  I stayed at the Hilton Hotel for safety reasons and to have access to all government departments.  The Hilton Hotel provide tour guides, Ethiopian airlines onsite, gym, jacuzzi, sauna, steam, warm natural spring water pools and many other tourist facilities.

I also stayed at the Ghihon Hotel. That was OK but still recommend the Hilton Hotel.

I spent most of my time in Shashamene due to being a Twelve Tribes of Israel member.  I usually stay at the Lilly of the valley hotel. They provide an excellent restaurant onsite called 'Puupaa Restaurant'.  Main menu oxtail with vege and rice or fish.  The restaurant also provides freshly squeezed mango, papaya, Sorel sop, or pineapple juice. The entire vacinity has 24/7 security.  I do love a place that provides excellent security.

I''ve learnt along the way how to adapt and to respect God's land, God's people.  To save myself the hassle of being pick pocket and the hustling and bustling, I usually contract vehicles to drive me from Addis Ababa to Shashamene.  Otherwise I would catch a plane from Hawassa to Addis Ababa.

I've noticed that every time I return prices increase by 500 birr.  I think the next time I visit Ethiopia I will hire a vehicle. And GPRS works in Ethiopia. I tested it from Addis Ababa to Shashamene.

I will be returning August 2017 to stay for as long as the government allows me to. 

Hope this helps.  God bless.

All the best on your journey.

Regards from
Helen

Hi Zu

I am English, living in Devon and my wife and son live in Addis ababa  ( they are Ethiopian)

If you want to know anything I am quite happy to email you or you can call me

Good luck

J

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

have u ever seen Gondor, Harar, axum....???

Good morning, I am planning a trip to Addis Ababa in the near future. You mentioned your Hilton experience and that's where I plan to stay. Do you feel like the security at the hotel was enough? Did you hire security for your day-to-day excursions? Did you eat at local restaurants? Did you get the yellow fever shot and the malaria pills? Would you recommend places to visit to make the experience memorable?

I know a lot of questions, but I appreciated your post and wanted to gain more knowledge for my trip. Thanks in advance.

helen.fuataha wrote:

Hi

My first visit to Ethiopia May 2016. My next visit was Feb 2017 to April 2017. My latest visit May 2017 to June 2017.

I left Addis Ababa on the 9th June 2017.  I stayed at the Hilton Hotel for safety reasons and to have access to all government departments.  The Hilton Hotel provide tour guides, Ethiopian airlines onsite, gym, jacuzzi, sauna, steam, warm natural spring water pools and many other tourist facilities.

I also stayed at the Ghihon Hotel. That was OK but still recommend the Hilton Hotel.

I spent most of my time in Shashamene due to being a Twelve Tribes of Israel member.  I usually stay at the Lilly of the valley hotel. They provide an excellent restaurant onsite called 'Puupaa Restaurant'.  Main menu oxtail with vege and rice or fish.  The restaurant also provides freshly squeezed mango, papaya, Sorel sop, or pineapple juice. The entire vacinity has 24/7 security.  I do love a place that provides excellent security.

I''ve learnt along the way how to adapt and to respect God's land, God's people.  To save myself the hassle of being pick pocket and the hustling and bustling, I usually contract vehicles to drive me from Addis Ababa to Shashamene.  Otherwise I would catch a plane from Hawassa to Addis Ababa.

I've noticed that every time I return prices increase by 500 birr.  I think the next time I visit Ethiopia I will hire a vehicle. And GPRS works in Ethiopia. I tested it from Addis Ababa to Shashamene.

I will be returning August 2017 to stay for as long as the government allows me to. 

Hope this helps.  God bless.

All the best on your journey.

Regards from
Helen

Good morning, I am planning a trip to Addis Ababa in the near future. You mentioned your Hilton experience and that's where I plan to stay. Do you feel like the security at the hotel was enough? Did you hire security for your day-to-day excursions? Did you eat at local restaurants? Did you get the yellow fever shot and the malaria pills? Would you recommend places to visit to make the experience memorable?

I know a lot of questions, but I appreciated your post and wanted to gain more knowledge for my trip. Thanks in advance.