Cost of living in muscat

sanath wrote:

HI all,
i got an offer to work in muscat. the salary is 700 omr. Is it enough to live for a couple in muscat. can i save something from it?

Salam Sanath,
You must be a professional in any field for ur salary Rate.
It is a good start, if foods, acomodations, & transports are also provided by ur company. :0

You migth review other forums here saying Cost of Living in Oman to have some more ideas.

sanath, @ 700 rial and no house or transport or food provided for, you would be really hard pressed every day even for a simple living. As a couple, this everyday monetary distress may even destroy your relationship with you wife.
I know quite a few people who came in similar paltry salary on the promise of golden land, and the financial shortage ended up in having marital discord in the house.

srinirajan wrote:

sanath, @ 700 rial and no house or transport or food provided for, you would be really hard pressed every day even for a simple living. As a couple, this everyday monetary distress may even destroy your relationship with you wife.

I've observed that you have a habit of fearing the people frequently. Please note that money doesn't affect the personal life, and if it does, then the people are meant to worship money only. I doubt whether you're in the same class.

I request you ... don't didtress people with the frustrated replies. Prove urself as a professional rather to be a college guy!

Hi,

This is Nethra.
I had a query like my brother has got an opportunity to go for Oman,he is a mechanical engineer.
The package offered to him is 250 Oman Rials + 30 Oman Rials as food allowance + travel expenses will be provided by company + accommodation by company.
He is a Bachelor.
Is this salary package offered to him is good? can he be able to save? can he accept this offer?
Can anyone please provide any info related to this.

Thanks in advance
Nethra

reachnethra wrote:

Hi,

This is Nethra.
I had a query like my brother has got an opportunity to go for Oman,he is a mechanical engineer.
The package offered to him is 250 Oman Rials + 30 Oman Rials as food allowance + travel expenses will be provided by company + accommodation by company.
He is a Bachelor.
Is this salary package offered to him is good? can he be able to save? can he accept this offer?
Can anyone please provide any info related to this.

Thanks in advance
Nethra

Hi Nethra!
What is the nature of job he has been offered ? Please specify.
Provided accomodation & travel expenses by the company, he can save OMR 180 per month (Or even more) from the salary you have mentioned, depending upon the lifestyle. Please be informed that Im specified to a SINGLE person.

For the details of expenses etc, you may refer to the same topic where Mr. Sumitran has replied in detailed to various new comers.

Regards,

I am got in oman my salary in 700 OMR., Accomdation is take care by company. I can save any money. we are couple with one child.

venkat

Is reading the many posts submitted by others in these forums, which are all full of very useful information regarding the cost of living here in Muscat, really such a difficult task ?!?

I think not.

Hai am mathi,from chennai in india,am civil engineer fresher,i got job offered in salahah with 315omr/month.with accomadation,tranportaion,with out food..how abt expense in salahah and climate condition in it...my work in site only,so how abt climatic condition..

i have an offer for an enginner's job in muscat for 6-8 weeks in the summer as a practicant and the offer is 150 OMR/month
will it be enough for my needs including lodging??

I got a job in oman salary in 700 OMR. Accomdation, water ,electricity and Medical family status taken care by company. we are couple with one daughter 11 years old. how is much i can save money.

Kindly advise

Venkat

Hi Sumitran,
Hope you are fine.
I go through all of your replies which are very much helpful to new comers.
I have an offer of 325 RO from an automobile sales company Oman trading Establishment. The benefits are accommodation for single & family when married, , car with fuel expense, medical, annual leaves with return ticket, incentive &  bonus, utilities bills hopefully born by company.
Right now at my existing job, i have 6 years of automobile sales experience, i am earning equal to 200 RO, with medical, bonus, TADA and my position is deputy manage marketing in multinational organization.
I have done M Phil followed by MBA marketing.
Can u please guide me is that a good offer compare to my existing job? Can i do some savings as i belongs to a middle class and don't consume tobacco or alcohol.

Mudassar Ahmad wrote:

Hi Sumitran,
Hope you are fine.
I go through all of your replies which are very much helpful to new comers.
I have an offer of 325 RO from an automobile sales company Oman trading Establishment. The benefits are accommodation for single & family when married, , car with fuel expense, medical, annual leaves with return ticket, incentive &  bonus, utilities bills hopefully born by company.
Right now at my existing job, i have 6 years of automobile sales experience, i am earning equal to 200 RO, with medical, bonus, TADA and my position is deputy manage marketing in multinational organization.
I have done M Phil followed by MBA marketing.
Can u please guide me is that a good offer compare to my existing job? Can i do some savings as i belongs to a middle class and don't consume tobacco or alcohol.

Hi Mudassar Ahmad,

OTE, belonging to the Suhail Bahwan Group, is one of Oman's well establish automotive conglomerates. So what they are offering you must be on par or even better than the industry average and must also be commensurate with your experience and in parity with the level of the position that is being offered to you.

Take up the offer if an overseas job appeals to you. And being a bachelor and given your lifestyle, you should be able to easily save about 60% - 75% of your monthly income at the barest minimum.

Best wishes !

Hi Sumitran,

Thank you so much for your kind and prompt reply.

Yes Suhail Bahwan Group is an established automotive conglomerate. They offered me position of Sr. Sales Consultant plus all benefits I already mentioned. I am in negotiation with this organization to increase my package.

I read all the discussion of this forum and found that on average 600 to 700 OR were being offered to different expats. I am 30 year old and will be getting married in few months, so do you thing this offer justify my profile (6 years experience and education)?

Regards,
Mudassar Ahmad

Mudassar Ahmad wrote:

Hi Sumitran,

Thank you so much for your kind and prompt reply.

Yes Suhail Bahwan Group is an established automotive conglomerate. They offered me position of Sr. Sales Consultant plus all benefits I already mentioned. I am in negotiation with this organization to increase my package.

I read all the discussion of this forum and found that on average 600 to 700 OR were being offered to different expats. I am 30 year old and will be getting married in few months, so do you thing this offer justify my profile (6 years experience and education)?

Regards,
Mudassar Ahmad

Hi Mudassar Ahmad,

For want of any better options open to you, you should only take it up. If you get something better then quite obviously you should opt for that.

Do bear in mind that salaries for expatriates cannot be generalised. It tends to vary from sector to sector, from employee to employee, from case to case, depending on their individual and personal educational background, work experience, expertise levels, skill sets and many other such critical factors including most importantly, from employer to employer.

You also cannot compare what has been offered to you with what others are sharing about their salaries and packages in this forum, until and unless their job profile and the organisation matches with yours down to the T.

So if you feel that this is the best deal that you can wrangle from your prospective employer then go for it. If you feel that the best is yet to come, then wait.

The choice can only be yours and nobody else's.

Good luck !

Thanks Sumitran,

I understand what you explained and felt that you have a positive indication towards this offer. Moreover, I know decision is entirely up to me.
one more thing,can i take part time lectures or teach in some Oman educational institutes as my education allow me to do so. How much is teaching jobs paid especially higher education (any guess). Is there any law which restricts me to do job only for that am hired according to my Visa?

Regards,

Hi,

My name is Vivek Raj. Presently i am an Indian Living in New Delhi and working as Asst. Manager - Product Sales in a leading HVAC company in India.I am earning 7.3 Lakhs fixed & 1.1 Lakh bonus annually.
Recently i have got an offer from Bahwan Electronics (suhail Bahwan Group) for muscat location with following details:

Basic Monthly Salary: RO.600/-  Approximately INR 84500
Basic Annual Salary: RO.7200/-  Approximately INR 10 Lacs
Accommodation: Fully Furnished Family Flat provided by company
Car : As per company scheme / rules
Ticket: Once in 2 Years for yourself & family (wife + 2 children))
Leave Salary:30 days paid leave every completed year
Mobile:SIM card will be provided, all CUG calls will be free
Grade:Sr Executive Grade
Medicals:Free Medicals at Bahwan Clinic for self & family
Position: Senior Sales Executive – AC Systems
+ Gratuity as per Oman Labour Law

I am a married person with no kid.I want to shift alone initially & in 3-4 months my wife will join me.
Please suggest on my package whether it is appropriate or not & also let me know the saving potential.Should i go ahead with this offer??

Thanks,

Vivek Raj

Vivek

Starting in oman it is ok salary.

Best regards.

venkat

Mudassar Ahmad wrote:

Thanks Sumitran,

I understand what you explained and felt that you have a positive indication towards this offer. Moreover, I know decision is entirely up to me.
one more thing,can i take part time lectures or teach in some Oman educational institutes as my education allow me to do so. How much is teaching jobs paid especially higher education (any guess). Is there any law which restricts me to do job only for that am hired according to my Visa?

Regards,

Hi Mudassar Ahmad,

Please be aware that taking up a second job is illegal here in the Sultanate.

Your education might allow you to do so, but unfortunately not the Omani Labour Laws.

So what you're employed for is exactly what you'll be allowed to do - nothing else, or more.

Best wishes.

Hi Sumitran,
I was tried to negotiate with OTE management, but they don't replied, only recruiter called and said to reconsider the package of 325 RO is just not possible. What you suggest should i join by considering it as first step and hope that will find some other good job there soon? What is tendency of getting new good job in automobile sales? Here i am working as Deputy Manager Marketing in MNC company (PKR 50,000, equal to 200 OR).
Your kind advice required.
Regards,

Mudassar Ahmad wrote:

Hi Sumitran,
I was tried to negotiate with OTE management, but they don't replied, only recruiter called and said to reconsider the package of 325 RO is just not possible. What you suggest should i join by considering it as first step and hope that will find some other good job there soon? What is tendency of getting new good job in automobile sales? Here i am working as Deputy Manager Marketing in MNC company (PKR 50,000, equal to 200 OR).
Your kind advice required.
Regards,

Hi Mudassar Ahmad,

If you're seeking overseas experience then take up the offer that you have in hand.

Salaries are normally fixed for organsiations, the level of the employee and their roles and responsibilities.

Also will usually be on par with the industry standards.

Shifting jobs within Oman is easier if you're already inside the country, rather than outside, trying to make an entry.

Good luck !

Thanks Sumitran for your guidance......

Hi sumitran,

I am working in Bangalore. I got an offer to work in Oman and They are ready to offer 50000rupees as salary(taxable)+ 1500usd(non-taxable) as onsite allowance (which is equivalent to 900 rials totally)+ accomodation, food, travel expenses. help me to decide.. can i opt this job? pls advice..!

Hi Sumitran,
Sorry, i might ask the same question from the rest. Basically cost of living at Muscat as expatriate
1. Accomodation rental per month (2 bedroom)
a) fully furnished -
b) unfurnished -
c) total cost to buy FULL furniture for unfurnished 2 bedroom -
d) utility (water, electricity, internet, tv channel & etc) -

2. Rent a car sedan permonth -
3. Average fuel price per month (office in muscat) -
4. Pre-schooling 3 yrs old kid per month -
5. Average medical cost per month per adult and per kid (<4 yrs old) -
6. Average price for supply food (if cook at home) per month -

Really appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Hi khaizwa,

I strongly suggest that you read through these various posts here, to get a grip on the cost of living in Oman.

However because you asked I'll try and respond to each of your queries as briefly as possible.

All costs are minimum. Maximum will be as much as you want them to be !

1. Accomodation rental per month (2 bedroom)
a) fully furnished - R.O. 600/-
b) unfurnished - R.O. 400/-
c) total cost to buy FULL furniture for unfurnished 2 bedroom - R.O. 2,000/-
d) utility (water, electricity, internet, tv channel & etc) - R.O. 20/- for the first 3. TV subscription and etc (whatever that means) is up to you !!

2. Rent a car sedan permonth - R.O. 80/-
3. Average fuel price per month (office in muscat) - R.O. 15/-
4. Pre-schooling 3 yrs old kid per month - R.O. 35/-
5. Average medical cost per month per adult and per kid (<4 yrs old) - All employees get mandatory Health Insurance. I can't comment on this as I do not know about your health condition !!
6. Average price for supply food (if cook at home) per month - R.O. 120/-

Please note that these figures are purely indicative ball-park estimates. Exact price ranges can be provided only if specifics are mentioned, like to quote an example, a fully furnished 2-BHK house in Madinat Al Illam would cost about R.O. 1500/-, while a flat with a similar configuration in Muttrah would cost you about R.O. 150/-.

See the difference ?

Hi sumitran,

I am working in Bangalore. I got an offer to work with a start up co in Indian & sending me to Oman(client co.,) and they are ready to offer 50000rupees as salary(taxable)+ 1500usd as onsite allowance(non-taxable)= (which is equivalent to 900 rials totally)+ accomodation, food, travel expenses.

At the same time i have another offer within India for 40000 rupees. i am helpless and confused. pls help me to decide.. pls advice..!

Hi sent100,

Firstly, U.S. $ 1,500 converts to about R.O. 575/- and not R.O. 900/- as you've mentioned.

Secondly, if your company is providing you with accommodation, food and travel then this R.O. 575/- is your nett take home, which is roughly about INR. 80,500/-.

Your advantage will be the money that you earn here in Oman is 100% tax free.

Lastly, your saving potential in this overseas assignment looks better, even if your on-site assignment is only for a limited period - but not if that limited period is only for a month or two.

If you get an assignment for at least a couple of years, then you will be able to save some decent amount. Else, it is wiser to wait for a more steady job to come by.

Good luck !

hi sumitran,

thank you so much for your valuable advice & suggestions.

Sent100!
You're mentioning your salary package as INR50000 + USD 1500 (That cud possibily makes OMR 900), but i don't understand that how come they are offering you 50K INR with TAX ? Please be informed that Oman is a TAX free country. No taxes are applicable on the salaries offered. Please re-check with your employer and confirm the same before you travel.

Rest of the things have been described by Mr. Sumitran.

Regards,
Schaz!

schaz wrote:

Sent100!
You're mentioning your salary package as INR50000 + USD 1500 (That cud possibily makes OMR 900), but i don't understand that how come they are offering you 50K INR with TAX ? Please be informed that Oman is a TAX free country. No taxes are applicable on the salaries offered. Please re-check with your employer and confirm the same before you travel.

Rest of the things have been described by Mr. Sumitran.

Regards,
Schaz!

Hi Schaz,

May I respond to your query please.

sent100's employer is in India. And they are sending him to Oman for an on-site project / assignment. So sent100 gets paid INR.50,000 as his basic salary, which is taxable by Indian laws, as it is paid to his account in Indian Rupees.

Over and above his salary, sent100 gets paid US$ 1,500 as on-site / relocation allowance which is non-taxable, as it is paid in a foreign currency.

This kind of 'outsourcing' is quite common with the Indian I.T. companies, who depute person / teams to attend to client's 'various 'on-site' projects. Usually these are for a limited period of time only. That's exactly why, I had advised sent100 to make sure that the duration of his stay in Oman would be long enough to be worthwhile. Just a month or two in Oman would not really do him any good, as far as saving money is concerned.

On completion of one assignment, the employee / team will return to their home base in India and depending on the company's other projects the employer / team / or a new team put together for a specific project could get sent to some other foreign country. The base salary would remain the same in Indian Rupees, while the on-site allowance would vary depending on the place of posting, scope of the project, duration, etc.

Trust I've clarified your concerns.

Hi Sumitran,

I must appreciate your dedication and efforts that you give a detailed explanation to almost every queries coming your way. Kudos !!

I am a CA and have got an offer from Saud Bahwan group. I have certain queries regarding the opportunity and cost of living:

I will be shifting there with my wife and will be based in Muscat.

1. How is Saud Bahwan as a group?
2. How much would be the monthly cost of utilities like Electricity, Fuel, Internet, Telephone (including international - home calling), grocery, gas charges if any, municipal tax if any, any other monthly utility payments, etc.?
3. We don't smoke or drink. No non-veg too. But we like to roam about on weekends. Going to restaurants or parks or any other place. What could be the outing cost per week for both of us? Generally we tend to spend judiciously and not extravagantly.
4. Do you have any idea about the residency of Saud Bahwan? Could you share any details about how it is, in case you are aware of it? The company is offering 2 BHK fully furnished accomodation over and above the salary, in their township.

Will really appreciate if you could help me on the above concerns.

Regards,
Urvil

Dear Mr. Sumitran!
Thanks alot for the information. I was really not aware of this scenario.

But im sure it is indeed different than what Omani companies are following about it. Like if an employee travels to other country for a project (Im specific to Oil/Gas, that too not in desert), the on-site allowance is usually paid in Omani rials, which may be converted into the local currency accordingly.

Thanks again for the info.

Urvil wrote:

Hi Sumitran,

I must appreciate your dedication and efforts that you give a detailed explanation to almost every queries coming your way. Kudos !!

I am a CA and have got an offer from Saud Bahwan group. I have certain queries regarding the opportunity and cost of living:

I will be shifting there with my wife and will be based in Muscat.

1. How is Saud Bahwan as a group?
2. How much would be the monthly cost of utilities like Electricity, Fuel, Internet, Telephone (including international - home calling), grocery, gas charges if any, municipal tax if any, any other monthly utility payments, etc.?
3. We don't smoke or drink. No non-veg too. But we like to roam about on weekends. Going to restaurants or parks or any other place. What could be the outing cost per week for both of us? Generally we tend to spend judiciously and not extravagantly.
4. Do you have any idea about the residency of Saud Bahwan? Could you share any details about how it is, in case you are aware of it? The company is offering 2 BHK fully furnished accomodation over and above the salary, in their township.

Will really appreciate if you could help me on the above concerns.

Regards,
Urvil

Hi Urvil,

Am glad that I could be of help to many who are intending to move to Muscat / Oman. Thank you.

Will give you my best answers against your queries as follows :

1. How is Saud Bahwan as a group? – It is one of Oman's oldest, largest and best known automotive business conglomerates. The systems followed in that organisation are very methodical and proper. So have no worries about the SBG. You are in safe hands.

2. How much would be the monthly cost of utilities like Electricity, Fuel, Internet, Telephone (including international - home calling), grocery, gas charges if any, municipal tax if any, any other monthly utility payments, etc.? – These are something which has been repeatedly discussed and elaborated on this forum. If you scan through the numerous posts you will find all the information (and more) that you are seeking.

3. We don't smoke or drink. No non-veg too. But we like to roam about on weekends. Going to restaurants or parks or any other place. What could be the outing cost per week for both of us? Generally we tend to spend judiciously and not extravagantly. – Given your lifestyle, your weekend costs should not be anything over R.O. 50/- on the higher side – even if you splurge all you want to !

4. Do you have any idea about the residency of Saud Bahwan? Could you share any details about how it is, in case you are aware of it? The company is offering 2 BHK fully furnished accommodation over and above the salary, in their township. – Like I mentioned earlier, SBG has, I am old, fantastic accommodation facilities. The Group owns a few residential buildings across Muscat and also in places like Sohar, which I'm informed are really very spacious and plush. So if you've been offered accommodation in one of those properties, go for it without a second thought.

Good luck !

Hi Everybody
I am getting job in Badr-AL Samaa hospital and i am getting 250+Accomodation can anbody help me out.

gazla wrote:

Hi Everybody
I am getting job in Badr-AL Samaa hospital and i am getting 250+Accomodation can anbody help me out.

If you could spend few minutes in browsing the same topic, you can find all the answers.

Hi,

I am Amit from India. I am getting opportunity to work in Muscat. Before moving going ahead i want to know how much package should one get to have average lifestyle in Muscat if accomodation, transportation, electricity is taken care by company. I am having one kid who is 3yrs old.

amittickoo wrote:

Hi,

I am Amit from India. I am getting opportunity to work in Muscat. Before moving going ahead i want to know how much package should one get to have average lifestyle in Muscat if accomodation, transportation, electricity is taken care by company. I am having one kid who is 3yrs old.

Hi amittickoo,

A good sum to star with would be R.O. 1,500/- per month, nett in hand - with the company taking care of all the essentials that you've mentioned.

For an average lifestyle even R.O. 750/- in hand would suffice.

There are many who draw much lesser (around R.O. 500/- per month) and still manage all expenses on their own, including housing and living expenses.

Similarly there are many who get paid fabulously well too ... like everything else in life there will always be those who are above you and those who are below you.

The challenge is to find the right balance.

Good luck !

Cost of living between bahrain vs oman

Kindly advise me

Venkat

venkatakrishnan wrote:

Cost of living between bahrain vs oman

Kindly advise me

Venkat

Bahrain is way cheaper than Oman.

Single line answer for your query!

I am getting job in badr al samaa hospital in muscat .They are offering me 250omr+accom.please help me out is it good salary and how much I could save from my salary

what about food expenses. accomdation and school expenses

Kindly guide me

venkat