NEED AN EXPERT ADVICE REGARDING MOVING TO OMAN

Good day folks,

I am currently in vacation here in the Philippines as i just ended my work contract in Doha, Qatar.

My employer still wants me to go back and work for them but I am considering to work on another country.

I had an offer from Oman to work in a studio for i am a video editor and Audio-Video Technician.

The salary that they were offering is lesser than what i get from doha but they will give me Overtime Pay and additional pay per outdoor job which i do not get from my current company.

everything is the same they will give free accommodation and transportation. they will issue a Family visa for me so i can bring my wife eventually they even offer a secluded room for me so my wife could stay at the same accommodation.

the problem is I do not have any idea what lies in Oman.
these are my questions

1. is it also tax free?
2. is it an open country? liquor, bar, etc.
3. is it boring?
4. is the labor law being followed by the employers?
5. is it ok to move jobs from one to another?
6. will there be available job for my wife if i bring her? she in sales and retail.
7. how was the cost of living? how much is the basic budget for a month?
8. does the employer holds your passport same in doha?

any answer will be very much appreciated. sorry for the numbers of questions i just really need to analyze things. . .

thanks you.

Hi chase0103,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I hope other members will be able to help you.

I wish you good luck,

All the best,
Christine

thanks Christine. .

1. is it also tax free? depends on your nationality. For Americans it is up to the max allowed by the IRS.
2. is it an open country? liquor, bar, etc. Yes and NO. You can get a liquor license and you can buy I think 2 twelve packs of beer and one or two bottles of liquor (not sure on those figures). There are some licensed bars and restaurants you can openly drink at. Drinking in public areas, like in Qatar, is against the law. There are nice coffee shops and restaurants along the beach. The Chedi and other upscale hotels have restaurants serving liquor on the beach.
3. is it boring? if you are into outdoor activities like camping, swimming, hiking, kite boarding, scuba diving or boating, it is wonderful.
4. is the labor law being followed by the employers? i would suggest you retain a lawyer and have him/her review your contract before you accept the job here. I can refer a couple to you if you like.
5. is it ok to move jobs from one to another? the visa process can complicate things. Your current sponsor would have to release you and then the new sponsor would have to get you a new visa OR you have to leave the country to cancel your current visa and then the new employer would ask you to enter on their visa.
6. will there be available job for my wife if i bring her? she in sales and retail. most of the sales and retails positions here are held by nationals and Asians. If you are a Western expat, British, American, South African, European, etc... it would be hard to find a retail position in a shop. Some jobs are completely Omanized.
7. how was the cost of living? how much is the basic budget for a month? depends on your lifestyle. if you are more specific then I can estimate for you. Tell me if you eat out a lot and if you do is is fast food or high quality food. Do you own your own car? Will you have company housing or will you have an allowance? Do you have children or pets? Do you do a lot of shopping? Do you tend to eat a lot of imported products from your home country?
8. does the employer holds your passport same in doha? varies from one employer to another. Officially it is against the law.

Hope that helps. Best of luck.