Hi there. Considering moving to Costa Rica

My wife and I are retired and thinking about moving to Costa Rica.  Planning on a 3 week vacation and living as a Tico as best we can in that short period of time.  If things feel right we'll give it a 3 month try.  We love to be near the water, ocean first, lakes/rivers second.  Given that we also love mountains and forests I guess we need to travel around.  Just looking for some info on "non touresty" places.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You can try it with Tamarindo, here you have a good international community and very nice ocean.
Visit La Fortuna, I recommend you the Arenal Oasis Ecolodge - arenaloasis.com the best place in La Fortuna, quiet and with a lot of nature and animals
Good to see Monteverde and Palo Verde when you come in the dry season.

I would suggest that you spend some time looking around.  We purchased property in November of 2010 and the climate was a HUGE factor for us.  Finding the right climate was high on our list and it took some time.  Just a couple of examples:
Monteverde - yearly mean temperature is a low of 61 and a high of 64 degrees Fahrenheit (16-18 Celsius)
Samara - January mean temperature is a low of 65 and a high of 83 degrees Fahrenheit (18-28) Celsius.

These are two extremes but it gives you an idea considering there are twelve micro climates in Costa Rica.  Our criteria for choosing our new home included; an elevation of two thousand to three thousand feet above sea level, close proximity to medical and shopping facilities, reasonable access to an international airport, a small acreage, a Canada/U.S.A. influence within the local culture, and most importantly a solid sustainable infrastructure. We found this 17 km from the city of Santiago de Puriscal.  Good luck on your adventure!!!
Cheers .... Terry

Our favorite places are San Isidro de General in the Southern zone and San Ramon in the north.  We spent time in San Vito but it's too hot and remote.  Monteverde was VERY touristy.  We haven't been to Arenal yet but hear good things about it.  The road from Grecia to the La Paz Waterfall Garden took us through some really lovely places.  We don't want to be too close to the coast so can't speak to that at all.  We want to be around 3,000 ft for the best climate for us.  Don't be afraid to rent a car and drive around.  Just not at night!

We just got back from a week of touring . We rented a 4x4 and did San Ramon, Atenas, Colon, Miramar, Puriscal and the changes in temperature is very apparent. One thng for sure, the scenery is awesome no matter where you are!

From a personal standpoint, we found that an altitude of 3000ft, the evenings are a little too chilly but the days are perfect. Atenas is a little lower but we didn't stay long enough to feel the night temps. Miramar is down almost at sea level near Punterenas and it was quite hot (80-85F) during the day. So I think we'll need something in the 2000ft area.

Like most people seem to suggest, rent a car and drive. You'll get a good feel for the villages and the temperatures. Then rent there to see if you "fit" in.

Either way, its a great adventure.

Pura Vida!
Richard

Hi there Highstepper, we live here at the beach and it's beautiful! we love it. The Mt's are nice however since we are beach lovers we knew we had to be here. The water is an amazing 80 degrees. Check out areas in the Central Pacific Region Like Esterillos, Playa Bejuco, Palo Seco and to the south Playa Uvita. All beautiful non-tourist ridden areas. These are where You'll find isolated beaches and beautiful scenery like monkeys in the trees while you stroll on the beach. Pretty amazing to wake up to. Let us know if you have any questions we are happy to help! Cheers!

Hi Mike and Diana,
Thanks for your message. After our trip, we did purchase a lovely plot of land near Puriscal. It is up in the mountains but the view is awesome. Seems like Costa Rica has something for everybody.

Seeing you're down at the beach, I have heard that there are more bugs, mosquitoes, humidity, etc. Can you set the record straight for me on that?

Thanks,
Richard

Hello, everyone - I just discovered this blog. I live in Dallas, TX and am planning my move to CR next year. In the past year, I have visited Cartago, San Ramon, Quepos and Platanillo (7 miles up from Playa Dominical). I lived for a month in Quepos (hot!) and 3 months in Platanillo, which was a bit cooler than Dominical due to the elevation. I went down to Dominical many times, and can attest to the humidity, heat and bugs! It is downright sweltering there. My next trip is coming up soon - I am staying for the month of November 17 km south of Puriscal. In fact, I think one of the other posters on this blog may live in the community! Climate is very important to me as well.

Hello,

I have heard Grecia is one of the best places to be for American expats as there is a nice mix of welcoming Ticos and some Americans there also.  It is located in the Central Valley, in between the Paciific Ocean and San Jose for convenience. 30-45 mins either way ?  I think....I so wish I could go!  But I am single and looking for someone to go with me....everyone thinks I am kinda crazy for wanting to explore a place to live out of USA.....whereas I feel they are the crazy ones...LOL....

ps:  Everyone is differnt in their climate preference....Grecia is supposed to be moderate, not too hot...

Hope this helps,

Hanna

HappyHanna wrote:

Hello,

I have heard Grecia is one of the best places to be for American expats as there is a nice mix of welcoming Ticos and some Americans there also.  It is located in the Central Valley, in between the Paciific Ocean and San Jose for convenience. 30-45 mins either way ?  I think....I so wish I could go!  But I am single and looking for someone to go with me....everyone thinks I am kinda crazy for wanting to explore a place to live out of USA.....whereas I feel they are the crazy ones...LOL....

ps:  Everyone is differnt in their climate preference....Grecia is supposed to be moderate, not too hot...

Hope this helps,

Hanna

Hanna, I share your sentiment - but, don't let being a single woman stop you from visiting or living in CR! I did it by my lonesome for the most part for 4 months in the past year. I have also heard Grecia has wonderful temperatures. I've never been up to the Caribbean side, assume it is hot. One place I would love to visit is Arenal.

Good day folks, I am from a farm outside of Edmonton,  Alberta & have spent months in CR over the last 3 -4 years.  Love Playa Carillo with many Canadians & gorgeous beaches in a friendly little non touristy community. Also recommend Sarchi & Puriscal for wonderful weather & rural settings. Hope all are healthy & happy in a charming country.

Hey - not sure if you saw.  This thread died a peaceful death 9 years ago.