Room to rent on Shamian Island?

Hello everyone

Having read a lot about Guangzhou now it seems that one of the nicest parts of the city is Shamian Island. Does anyone know if it is possible to rent a room in a shared flat there? If so, how much would it cost?

Regards
Michael

I found some information on 58.com (http://gz.58.com/shamian/zufang/). It seems that the price ranges from RMB3000 to RMB5000. Some of the advertisers are agents. It means that you may need to pay an agent fee equivalent to the monthly rent or half of that. You may also check out relevant information on Soufun (www.soufun.com) and other web sites.

You may need a Chinese-speaking friend or acquaintance (ideally a colleague) to talk to the agents or landlords.

And don't forget to sign a legal contract with your landlord in the Rental Property Administrative Centre (Chu Zu Wu Guan Li Zhong Xin) under the local neighbourhood committee. Only until then you can become a legal lessee.

Hi Chym

Thanks for the advice. Seems that you have to pay a bit extra to live on Shamian island. What do you think of the place?

Michael

Shamian is a lovely and quiet place with a lot of old European-style buildings in low density, probably because it was once a foreign settlement for Britain and France. In my opinion, the place has the strongest and most genuine smack of Europe in Guangzhou. It is close to the Pearl River and Huangsha Metro Station. I heard that there are a few lovely pubs, clubs and restaurants to chill out near Shamian. But I have never been there.