Import duties-motorcycles

help! i've hit an informational brick wall. i ride and collect antique/old motorcycles and scooters, to the point where i haven't owned a car in about 4yrs now. i have found the belize website that covers cars, vans, trucks. but nothing on motorcycles or scooters. having to sell some of them would be heartbreaking, having to sell all of them would be a deal breaker. anyone have any info, ideas or experience with this?

you will need to get a broker to do a formal entery on them.
duty rate is very high for vehicle and customs determines the value of each one and they use the blue book value too (which ever one that they can charge you more in duty). we brought our older motor home with us and they just made up the value because it was too old and it wasnt in the book. ypu can contact oour broker kuylen brokerage email [email protected] they were great to deal with and they can help you with the costs involve with your import. good luck

is it possible for a private individual to ship things like vehicles, etc. into the country-or can it only be done by a shipping agent. If so, any clue as to how much they charge? If/when I come over, i'll being doing it on a very shoestring budget.

you can arrange you own shipping .. how were you wanting to ship? ocean or ground? you will need a broker to do the import of your goods into belize regardless of how you ship the goods here. They will be import duty to pay if the goods are to be here perm.You can bring your own goods with you into belize but still need to import (customs Clearance) them into the country using a customs broker.

well thats one part of the puzzle solved, however i'm still trying to find any listings of import duties ( or guidelines ). some countries go by size of the motorcycle, how new/old, etc.

duty 37.25% of the blue book value  or a authentic bill of sale vale
broker fee  75.00 bz.per entry

I read somewhere that if you are bringing in a truck/service vehicle that the duty would be like 12%.  Is this true?

no it is not true
here is the link to the customs duty for cars/trucks
http://www.customs.gov.bz/rate_motor_vehicles.html

Yes I imported a 3 wheel new tuk tuk.  They wanted duty for a car.  The best thing I found from the broker is to have a bill of sale notorized with you if they do not know the price.  Also they seem to have this  strange thing about if you bought this in 1954 to still charge you duty for what you paid for it on that date.  So adjust accordingly.  I paid $2,800. bz. duty on my tuk tuk.  as a car.  If they had done it as a motor like they should have it would have been a lot less.  But I was desperate for a cheap ride.  200 cc Kawasaki eng. 70 miles to the gal.  Hope this helps.  If not and you need more info.  e-mail me at [email protected]

Hi LoveBelize,

Please note that this topic is from 2012.

Thank you,

David.