How to live and possibly work in Rome?

Hello everyone,

I am a U.S. born citizen.

I just finished my Masters in Electrical Engineering and am now looking to move and work in Rome, Italy. Is there any way I can get a long term visa without first securing a job in Rome? I'm currently unemployed and do not have a lot of money saved in the bank. However, I do have friends that will allow me to stay with them for as long as I need.

I spent 90 days previously and I am waiting to enter after 180 days have past since when I first entered. I'd like to stay longer than 90 days; I'd like to stay for years, but I want to do this legally.

Can anyone offer any advice or recommend anything? I am willing to take almost any job, provided that the work and hours are respectable. I've considered teaching Mathematics and Science in the past, but I do not have any certifications to teach. My undergraduate degree was in Electrical Engineering with a Minor in Mathematics.

Grazie Mille

Hello Hawkings and welcome to Expat.com!

Have you taken a look at the articles in our participative guide? This may help.

Do not hesitate to browse through the forum too.

I wish you all the best,
Harmonie.

Hello,

Yes, I've looked at through the articles and the forum's. I have not found anything yet that will help me. I'm not sure how to get a long term visa with out proof of steady income and/or a large amount in my bank account.

I was hoping to find someone on this site that maybe can offer me advice or that have contacts in Rome and could set me up with a job so that I can get a visa. I'm open to any job.