Expats willing to share information

My husband and I are planning to travel to Panama in February of 2010. We would love to hear from expats willing to share their own experiences.  More specifically, could we meet up with someone who is currently living in Panama to talk in person and get suggestions for our travel?  Our goal is to retire there in approximately two years. 

Where are the desirable places for expats to live? 

Should we try to get visas, and if so, what's the best way to go about that? 

Any information is appreciated!

PKMPHD
Virginia

Virginia,

My husband and I are relocating as well but we are planning on it within the next 5-6 months or maybe sooner. We have found a ton of useful information at internationalliving.com. The sell a book regarding moving to Panama that is worth the investment. We also purchased the Panama Guide book by lonelyplanet.com and found this to be invaluable on our recent trip to Panama this past June. Honestly, without that book, we would have been lost. We are looking at Chiriqui Province in the mountain towns of Volcan and Boquete. Both have a year round average temp of 74 degrees farenheit. Boquete is getting harder to find deals on real estate but Volcan still has plenty. These may be some areas for you to consider. They are also about an hours drive from Costa Rica which may be very conveninet depending on the type of Visa you are eligible for. My husband will qualify for the pensionado visa but his monthly pension is 29.00 shy of being enough to include me as well so I will need to go to Costa Rica every 90 days for 72 hours to renew my tourist visa.
We are seeking advice on reccomended attorneys in David and also moving company reccomendations. Feel free to stay in touch with me through the process, I may be able to throw you some reccomendations before you are ready for your move.
Good luck :o)  Don;t wait too long, you may miss out on the deals !  Elin Ray [email protected]

pkmphd wrote:

My husband and I are planning to travel to Panama in February of 2010. We would love to hear from expats willing to share their own experiences.  More specifically, could we meet up with someone who is currently living in Panama to talk in person and get suggestions for our travel?  Our goal is to retire there in approximately two years. 

Where are the desirable places for expats to live? 

Should we try to get visas, and if so, what's the best way to go about that? 

Any information is appreciated!

PKMPHD
Virginia

We are going to Boquete Aug 25, 2009. Did you receive any contacts. We would like some contact. Glen  Prescott Valley, AZ

Hello, are you by chance in Charlottesvill VA? We are in Richmond and are hoping to buy in Panama before the end of 2009. We've been working on this for some time. We could share information we have accumalated.

Sandra

Hi!

I'm looking forward to finding any information on how to travel to Panama, ground transportation, how to meet up with Expats, locating a rental (year-round) in Boquete or very close by, adjusting to a new area, the whole kit and kaboodle.

Where can we look to find updated information for citizenship, how to ship belongings, how to have our felines quarantined but to stay with us during the process,etc.

Thanks so much for whatever is shared!

I live in Arizona. My wife and I are going to Boquete this month on the 23rd and will be back home on Aug 31. I will be happy to share with you what I learn about moving there. I would prefer to communicate with you by regular email: [email protected]  If you are interested, email me.

Hello,
My husband and I have been researching Panama for about a year and a half now. We have found a ton of information at Internationalliving.com. The book on living and investing in Panama is a must have.

If you are going to Boquete, fly into David and either use a bus or rent a car for the trip to Boquete, it's about an hour or so ride form David. Worth having your own car, we rented and are sure glad we did. Driving in Panama City, not reccomended but David isn't bad and the countryside roads and driving is fine.

For your cat's all you'll need is an International Health certificate for the cats that your Vet should be able to give you. They will need to have updated rabies vac and I think the certificate has to be notarized by an Apostile which you should have at your state treasuer's office. If you fly in on a weekday, they should have a Vet on duty who can clear your animals for home quarantine. If there isn't one on duty they stay there in quarantine for two weeks.
There are a few company's out there that will ship from US to Panama. Depending on how much stuff you have, the cost will vary. We have already booked a moving co and they will load the freight connex which is 40 feet by 7 wide by 7.5 high. Our Jeep Wrangler and everything we'll take will be in that freight box, except clothes and jewlery, that I'm taking on the plane. I think our total with them loading and offloading door to door is about 8.7k. We plan on downsizing significantly,no large furniture etc. I'm only taking the antiques that were left to me, which incidentally, don't declare them as antiques because they are not exempt for the fist 10k tax free deal, a washing machine, our jeep and a trailer.
They say to move nothing and buy new there as it is so reasonable but there are some things I am not willing to part with.

We're not there yet wo can't meet up wth you. With any luck we'll be there before Christmas.

Another good information source is liveandinvestoverseas.com

It is a lot of work to make this happen but I firmly believe it will be well worth it. Have you been there yet ? We went this past June and it was great. We're also looking at  the Boquete area.

Good luck to you !

Elin Ray

zaminss wrote:

Hi!

I'm looking forward to finding any information on how to travel to Panama, ground transportation, how to meet up with Expats, locating a rental (year-round) in Boquete or very close by, adjusting to a new area, the whole kit and kaboodle.

Where can we look to find updated information for citizenship, how to ship belongings, how to have our felines quarantined but to stay with us during the process,etc.

Thanks so much for whatever is shared!

Regarding your request posted on the forum.

Tourist Pensioner - Retirees living in Panama as Permanent Residents:

The retiree or “Pensionado” residence status requires that applicant demonstrates an income on pension of only US$1,000.00 per month and an additional $300.00 for each dependent.

Another option is to purchase at least a $100,000 in Panama real estate, which reduces the lifetime monthly to $750.00.

This type of residence is expedite and the status is granted indefinitely, so there is no requirement for renewal.

It is necessary to prove to the Immigration Department on an annual basis that you continue to receive the necessary minimum income

As a Pensionado (Pensioner), you are entitled to request to the freezing of Property Taxes on your primary residence.

Best Regards
Alexander Castrellón

your best bet is to sign up with internationalliving.com, they have a ton of up to date info on the how to's of moving to Panama.
We are currently exploring Ecuador as well. It's cheaper and a little bit less legwork to get the resident visa.

good luck

I would appreciate advice regarding the treatment of Canadian taxes on Canadian pension income and no other world income while living in Panama.

We just had a guest at the Balboa Inn who left Volcan and put her house up for sale.  She told us 4 other foreigners were also selling. Reason: crime.

I would recommend any of you to first live in Panama for say 4-6 months before you buy ANYTHING AT ALL  !  !! 

And be extra critical of anything International Living plugs. They have a lot of useful info out there but they also have their own interests in many of the properties they 'recommend'.

I've lived in Panama for almost 5 years (city) and before that 18 years in Costa Rica. 

Believe me, in the current market there is NO need to hurry any purchase at all.

I love it here but experience it before you buy.

good to know, thak you. My husband and I have since decided on Ecuador. We just returned this past weekend from a week stay in the Highlands and we are hooked. Seems to be safger and cheaper.

Good luck everyone !!

For an unbiased source of information on retiring in Panama, check out the Retirement Detectives website.  It's run by a Canadian expat who retired to Panama, and he has no commercial/financial interests in any real estate development.

We are moving to Boquete this coming Feb, 2010. Do not know when we will have cell phone or internet service.
Buy the way, anybody have any recommendations for cell phone co and internet service co. Maybe thru a land line.
Glen

We live in Richmond VA and bought a condo in the Biltmore project, Malibu Beach, which is near Gorgona and Coronado.  We will take posession in Feb. 2010. We will apply for our pensionado visa then. We plan to import our car and some household goods. Our lawyer says that it takes about 6 months to get that Visa but you never have to reapply. We are very excited and are planning to spend 5 or 6 months there. I expect that you are snowed in in Charlottesville as we are in Richmond.

Sandie

Does anybody in Boquete know "Keith the car guy"? We would like to contact him or vice versa. If you know him give him our email address please. [email protected] We need his services.

Hi, You must be getting ready for your trip. My husband and I have been living part time in Panama for ten years. If you need a driver, hotel, areas to visit we can suggest. What we really love about it is that it is so friendly and  diverse with something for everyone.  The Pacific coast for fishing, the Atlantic coast for  sailing, snorkeling and diving, the mountains for year round spring like weather, city delights and country relaxation, over 900 species of birds and flowers, business opportunities galore, and the friendliest people.
Share your itinerary with us, maybe we can hook you up with instant friends.
Doug and Annemichelle

We are arriving in David on Feb 11, renting a car and driving to Boquete same day. We have rented a house and are preshipping some boxes of items to enable us to eat till the container arrives in early March. We could use a friend or two. I will not have communication until we are able to get a cell phone in Boquete or David. Got suggestions as to cell phone companies? Our contact is our realtor at Casa Solutions named Eugenio Horna. His personal cell # is 6684-8928 and you could leave your # with him and he could give it to us. He can also tell you where we live. It is close to the Tourist Center, about 1/2 mile down toward David, on a dirt road going south. You can see the house from the Hwy. It has a rock wall around the yard with a gate. If you see lights, stop by and scare the daylights out of us by honking at us. We would welcome company. Send me back your cell # if you want and your regular email address. You can contact me directly by my email, [email protected] . See you'all.
Glen Norris in Prescott Valley, AZ till Feb. 3rd.