Vehicle Auctions

I want to sell my LDV Convoy van, it is RHD but I think it should be possible to sell it here, no doubt somewhat cheaper than a LHD equivalent. I have met some Hungarian market traders who buy their vans in UK because they are cheaper than in Hungary. At present my Hungarian is not good enough for me to take telephone enquiries if I advertise the van so I wondered if it is possible to take it to an auction? I don't mind driving it to Budapest if necessary. Has anyone come across any vehicle auctions (apart from online ones like Vatera)?

You can get a vague estimate of what similar cars cost at hasznaltauto.hu by looking at current ads.
You say you had contact with used car dealers specializing in UK imports, why not talk to them?

I'd recommend teaming up with a Hungarian speaking neighbor or relative you trust to answer the phone calls for you. Maybe the local mechanic if there is one?

Selling it to a non-friend dealer is likely to get  you the least amount of money, but should also be hassle-free.

No, they are not car dealers. The vans were for their own use, selling goods at the Sunday morning market and presumably at other venues. They did not speak Engish but when I saw them I wasa with a friend who speaks Hungarian.
I have emailed an auction firm in Vienna so I might take it there.

fidobsa wrote:

.....I have emailed an auction firm in Vienna so I might take it there.

You could try advertising it on http://www.virtualvienna.net/main/ as there are quite a few people going backwards and forwards to the UK there.

You might also want to look further East, perhaps through these blogs or Ebay, like Bulgaria. They take UK vans there as I see them driving on the motorway. I sold one of my British car to an expat who came from  Sofia. Might work.

Thanks fluffy. I have just tried to register with the site you suggested but there's a problem with activating my membership at present. I could offer to take goods from Vienna to UK as that would subsidise a return trip where I could sell the van easier.
Bulgaria might be a possibility but quite a costly trip in a big thirsty van. I actually drove from Hungary to Bulgaria last spring to sort out a new accountant for my limited company there. The roads in Romania are very bad and the 800 mile trip  took a total of about 24 hours driving, not including breaks!

fidobsa wrote:

.....Bulgaria might be a possibility but quite a costly trip in a big thirsty van. I actually drove from Hungary to Bulgaria last spring to sort out a new accountant for my limited company there. The roads in Romania are very bad and the 800 mile trip  took a total of about 24 hours driving, not including breaks!

Oh, don't I know about the roads out that way. Last time I drove to Bucharest and to Bulgaria (Varna), it seemed to take days. I think things must be improving - couldn't be worse. They were going to extend the motorway up towards the Hungarian border (as they have to do as part of their EU obligations). It was an atrocious road, full of hazards. In fact, all of Romania was full of hazards - bikes and vehicles without lights, animals, tractors, people drunk, poor signage, sharp corners and giant pot holes. There's one place where you can get stopped while they blow up bits of a quarry! On a main road too! An unlikely hazard.

Anyway, I sold my car on Ebay to an expat. He flew into Budapest and drove it away back to Bulgaria. I didn't have to do anything other than pick the fella up at the airport, take the cash and wave him goodbye. I certainly did not pay his fuel.