Burger King

Look who's in town:

youtube.com/watch?v=FJSbdGw5Nxs&noredirect=1

bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-12/burger-king-opens-first-two-restaurants-in-vietnam-at-airport.html

vietnamfranmart.com/d4986-burger-king-comes-to-vietnam.aspx

A day late and .99 cents short!  They've missed out on some golden days here, from an economic standpoint.

From a health and cultural standpoint, I don't like seeing these places popping up. I didn't come to Vietnam to go to America and eat fast food!

Do any Vietnamese here know what KFC, or any of the other American fast food restaurants pay their new employees?  I'd love to know.

Maybe they use meat that meets with VN food standards, at least HCMC food standards.

McBarf is 'all beef', nostrils, lips, ears, blood vessels/veins and, yes - USDA approved, bone and fecal matter. Guess McBarf standards are too extreme even for HCMC food standards. Could it be the 48% water that Quarter Pounders have?

KFC uses chickens raised by an Australian Vietnamese subsidiary using Australian type chickens rather than those skinny, runt like Vietnamese chickens. The 11 herbs and spices are applied in the stores and cooked fresh which accounts for the improved taste difference with the U.S. product.

America's answer to 'coffee', Starbucks, is threatening to come to VietNam and show them what 'coffee' is. Of course that's before their shares went south. They have already registered their VN web page (www.Starbucks.VN) and they have copyrighted their logo under VN laws.

Surprise, surprise... There is Jaitch making more references about evil America. Have you ever posted anything where you are not complaining about the US?

I guess you are one of those food snobs that "never" eats that junk. Or you only drink the finest of coffees. Not that junk from Starbucks. You say Starbucks has been threatening to come to Vietnam to what coffee really is (your words which I doubt anybody in their organization ever said). But I guess you don't need to be shown because you must be an expert on all things everything.

Try an lay off the constant ranting about America. You don't see anybody ranting about Canada (must be because it is such a utopian society). As an American I don't appreciate the constant criticism. Seems most commonly dished out by Canadians by the way.

BR

sonet_sg:

I'll bite. Kind of thin-skinned and defensive for an American.

In my earlier post I did not use evil, America, junk, Canada. Neither did I complain about the U.S. All this is from you.

Starbucks announced it was looking at VietNam in 2010 April - hence it's domain and copyright registrations.

Starbucks data from SEC filings and Bloomberg (love SBUX use of the English language: “Some of these partners are being offered opportunity for redeployment and others will be separated from the company.”) McBarf data from USDA meat regulations and documents filed in court proceedings.

Really what you do and don'r appreciate doesn't really interest me.

Funny you didn't carry on about someone saying: "I have more freedom in Vietnam than I have in America ..."

Since I've in VN for 20 years my perspective is more centred here than in North America.

Need to hear something nice about the States? Without a doubt the U.S. is one of the most generous countries and often first on the spot when a disaster occurs.

P.S. I carry a U.S. passport, too.

Jaitch

You'll bite, eh? Sure, I am fishing. I don't usually post a lot of stuff on this forum and very rarely argue with anybody. But I do read some of the posts that are up here and I have seen you post a lot. And just about every one of your posts has a little dig in there about America.

You can play it off that I am just a sensitive American or whatever you want to think. I have also spent a fair share of time overseas (not only Vietnam) and have run into many Canadians that love to tell me every terrible thing America has done, is doing and will do, Sometimes maliciously and sometimes jokingly. Either way it is always the same and I always know what they are going to say before they say it.

As far as your comment about “more freedom in Vietnam than America”, I am not sure if you think I should be agreeing with that or not. I guess you would think that I am a “typical American” in your mind that loves “freedom”. The truth is there does seem to be more freedom here for me. But that is only because I am allowed to be more irresponsible here. Back in the States I have to own my decisions a little more and there are certainly more consequences for bad choices.

Anyway, I didn't get into this with you to argue for the sake of arguing. I was actually wondering what it is exactly that you Canadians hate so much about us? But then, I bet there are sometimes (when it is convenient) that you take out that US passport and claim American. So I am not sure if you are Canadian, American or Vietnamese.

This is my last post. I won't waste any more time on this.

BR

I was at the airport last night. I didn't see it.

Methinks many Canadians don't like their big brother, the USA...

To be fair, I fired the opening salvo on American fast food in this thread.  He's trying to get a rise out of the Americans here, particularly me.  Being an ex-pat, he's barking up the wrong tree.

America is always firs on the scene because we have "acquired" a lot of land worldwide.  It makes us better suited to respond quickly, knowing that more land has just become available.  Do you agree or disagree? Why?

Alright gang,

Has anyone tried the Whopper here yet?  I don't know...  KFC still doesn't taste the same to me.  The chickens taste different and the ketchup too, it tastes kind of weird, watered down somehow.  I really hope Burger King will do better.

@Fordy7 - Hmmm....I was at the airport on 1st Jan and 8 Jan 2012 and ate the burger twice.

I believe it's in the arrival level at the front, the beginning side of the traffic. It's a standalone setup just outside the building.

Hi Michael,

How was it?  Was the Whopper a Whopper, or was it like Whupper, much like KEC tastes here?

Peace!! Cheers Guys!!! talking of Coffee!! Love Tim Hortons and Starbucks..lol!!(hmmnnn..can mmake my own excellent coffee  than them actually)

Thanks Michael. I heard a few days ago its inside. Have to be a passenger to get to it.

So guys,  please where is it? Inside or outside? Sure don't want to make a run up there for nothing.

There is a video on youtube showing it outside. I was just told it was inside when I asked some mates. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJSbdGw5Nxs&noredirect=1

Burger King is on the right side if you are facing the entrance of the departure area of Tan Son Nhat International Airport.They are open until 11:30pm.Don't know if they will open branches in the CBD.

Ah! Departure. Not Arrival as mentioned earlier.

Taste-wise. Depends, seems ok to me. Though different from where I come from.

Not sure about US though as I am a Wendy's die-hard. My choice... Wendy's, BK and then McDonald.