Making the Jump to CR!

Hi everyone! 

Hoping to gain some insight from all of you on this site.

My husband and I are seriously considering (planning for now) a relocation to Costa Rica.

We currently live in Texas by way of California central coast.  We miss the surfing and weather but have always dreamed of living outside of the US.

There are of course some concerns (Here is where I need some assistance)  :)

1.  We have a 3 year old son.  I am concerned a bit about this but honestly it is one of the main reasons we are opting to relocate.  We are hoping to give him a different experience and show him a different world.  But is this a safe move?  Are there any other expats here that have moved with young children?  Schools?

2.  It is my understanding that one can not work for the first few years until residency can be changed?  How does one make a living?  We could bring enough money I suppose to draw from for those years but it is concerning.  I will just be finished with my associates degree in Web Design and will be completing my bs (all online) in computer science.  I was hoping to do work on the side - is this legal?  My husband and I currently own a personal training studio and we do a lot of work online as well.  The goal was to continue the online work while in Costa Rica (nutrition etc) and perhaps train clients in gyms located within our neighborhood.

Thanks for your help in this!  :)  Jealous of all of you already there!

Sondra

Sondra:

Hey I have been here since 2001. Live in the San Jose area. Costa Rica is a great place for your child and yes there are private schools that are bilingual, particularly Country Day in Escazu (a wealthy San Jose suburb), but it's not cheap.  You cannot legally work without a residency and even with one you probably cannot do so...depends on the type of residency.  What you can do, however, is own and manage a business and draw income from it. I have been doing that since 2004 with my business Package Costa Rica, a travel agency.  Lots of expats "work" as real estate agents as well, without any kind of residency.  Hope that helps.

Scott

www.packagecostarica.com

Hi Sondra -

My husband and I have been splitting our time between California and Costa Rica for 3 1/2 years now.  We are rentistas, and can't legally work.  But after 3 years w/ this type of residency, we can convert to permanent, then we could work. (There is a possible law-change coming up that might change this to 5 years before you can convert.)
However, if you are talking about working over the wire, that is a different story.  If you work for a USA company (for example), you can work while living in Costa Rica - you are not working for a Costa Rican company, taking jobs from Costa Ricans, you are working over the wire for a USA company. Many people do this, and it is legal.
Training clients physically in Costa Rica would not be legal.  But you could hire and train Ticos to do that, and still own the business.
It can be tempting once you are here to do a little work here and there on the side, but you risk being deported - very suddenly, and with no ability to return for up to 10 years.

re children - I have several friends who have young children here - some homeschool, some use the private schools, and some use the public schools.  Your decision on which to use would probably be based on the same criteria you would use in the states.  Ticos love children!

general - suggest that when you come (for a visit or move), plan on attending an ARCR seminar - they are the last thurs/fri of each month except December.  Lots of info, lots of people around who can help w/ specific concerns.  They know the residency laws; a large part of their charter is to work w/ the CR government to help us expats :).

good luck! (you can read my blog if you like; it also has links to other CR blogs, some who have children - JulieAndRickInCostaRica.blogspot.com)

Julie

packagecr wrote:

Sondra:

Hey I have been here since 2001. Live in the San Jose area. Costa Rica is a great place for your child and yes there are private schools that are bilingual, particularly Country Day in Escazu (a wealthy San Jose suburb), but it's not cheap.  You cannot legally work without a residency and even with one you probably cannot do so...depends on the type of residency.  What you can do, however, is own and manage a business and draw income from it. I have been doing that since 2004 with my business Package Costa Rica, a travel agency.  Lots of expats "work" as real estate agents as well, without any kind of residency.  Hope that helps.

Scott

www.packagecostarica.com

Hi Scott!

Awesome site~ wondering if you also assist with rentals in the area?

I have looked into Escazu - but from what I know of it I think it is going to be expensive.  A great reason for our move is to allow for a much less hurried life and enjoy the little one more.  We are going to check it out on our "investigative trip"  :)

How do you like it?  What spurred your move to CR?

Sondra

JulieH wrote:

Hi Sondra -

My husband and I have been splitting our time between California and Costa Rica for 3 1/2 years now.  We are rentistas, and can't legally work.  But after 3 years w/ this type of residency, we can convert to permanent, then we could work. (There is a possible law-change coming up that might change this to 5 years before you can convert.)
However, if you are talking about working over the wire, that is a different story.  If you work for a USA company (for example), you can work while living in Costa Rica - you are not working for a Costa Rican company, taking jobs from Costa Ricans, you are working over the wire for a USA company. Many people do this, and it is legal.
Training clients physically in Costa Rica would not be legal.  But you could hire and train Ticos to do that, and still own the business.
It can be tempting once you are here to do a little work here and there on the side, but you risk being deported - very suddenly, and with no ability to return for up to 10 years.

re children - I have several friends who have young children here - some homeschool, some use the private schools, and some use the public schools.  Your decision on which to use would probably be based on the same criteria you would use in the states.  Ticos love children!

general - suggest that when you come (for a visit or move), plan on attending an ARCR seminar - they are the last thurs/fri of each month except December.  Lots of info, lots of people around who can help w/ specific concerns.  They know the residency laws; a large part of their charter is to work w/ the CR government to help us expats :).

good luck! (you can read my blog if you like; it also has links to other CR blogs, some who have children - JulieAndRickInCostaRica.blogspot.com)

Julie

Hi Julie!

Thanks for the info on the little ones!  Wonder if he needs to be a citizen to be allowed to enter a public school?

Looks like we will most likely keep the work online - and perhaps start a business once we are there.

I believe we need to place $60k in an account to do so right?

I can't wait to read your blog and find out more about your experiences!

Sondra

Just went to make reservations for late November (we have the week of Thanksgiving off) and WOW!  It was much more expensive than I expected.  I thought I would be able to find a more affordable option since we were avoiding the high season. 

(Also thought the rain would be a reality check for us all ;)

Are there better times to fly?  Does the airport matter?

Sondra:

I actually would not recommend Escazu, only mentioned it due to the school, Country Day. I would not live there even if they paid me to...only half-kidding. I do go there occassionaly for dinner. I am currently living in Heredia.... Santo Domingo to be exact and it is a wonderful tranquil place...a little hard to get in and out of though if you need to go into San Jose. If you want to be "in town" I would recommend areas around the park, Sabana Park that is, like Rohrmoser. They have been building condo towers all around the park like crazy these days and if you like condo style living, then that could be a great option. I would not be the slightest bit reluctant to visit in November, it is a great time to come. I first came on business in 2001 and the rest, as they say, is history and a long and sordid one at that. I have gone over it many times in various posts to my blog, 365 Reasons, if interested. But suffice it to say, I will never leave. Shoot me an email ([email protected]) or call anytime and yes, we can help with any aspect of traveling here, including rentals. Our toll free is 1-866-424-6439.

Pura Vida,

Scott

You should fly into San Jose (SJO) unless you want to check out Guanacaste for some reason. I would focus first on the Central Valley, though, if you are seriously considering living, as opposed to just vacationing, here.

Scott

Wow thanks Scott!  We have actually been looking into Heredia.  I too don't understand the Escazu (think that is it) point.  Seems like it would be moving home to another country instead of making my home in another country.  :)  To each his own.  :)

We will def want to live near the ocean.  My husband is a surfer and dreams of our son becoming one as well.  We miss the ocean from California (lived a block from it for years).

I will keep in close contact with you as October approaches - we will visit then vs Nov to make it easier on the budget.

I see there is a huge range in regards to rentals.  Seems like if they are geared to americans they are very high???

Have ANOTHER question!  :)

I have been looking for rentals online in Costa Rica - not sure if we are set on an area as of yet, but one thing is blatantly clear ~ Prices on the net are def geared to Americans.  ???

How does one find a rental in Costa Rica without actually being in Costa Rica?  Do most expats simply fly in to CR - then stay in hotels until they find a place?

Just the first of many signs that this is going to be a CRAZY experience.  Can't wait!~

Ok one other thing~  My husband and I would like very much to do some type of charity in our new home.  I was thinking about creating a fund that would allow Tico children to be funded while enrolling in a higher degree of education?  Have not worked out the kinks of course, but thought I would run it by a few of you that live there currently and might have a better view of the needs of the country.

We initially thought fundings for supplies for public schools (uniforms, books, educators salary etc) but it hit us that what may be a biproduct of the expat movement would be the higher cost of living.  (Expats most likely will spend more freely and drive up the cost of housing etc).  Then I thought about the inability to apply to universities outside of Costa Rica for those who have gone through the public education system (goes thru 11th grade only) and thought it might be best to invest in the future of x number of students per year enrolled in one of the many bilingual/private schools in Costa Rica.

??? On the right track?  Anyone have some other ideas?

Thanks!

How long are you planning on staying for this first investigatory trip??  I think we should talk on the phone..call me at 1-866-424-6439. If you want to move around and experience various parts of the country, it makes no sense to have a long-term rental in, say, San Jose.  It all depends on what you want to do.

Scott

what worked best for us was to stay in either
- a bed and breakfast
- a hostel
- a family/homestay (easy to find via Spanish schools)

then while there, start looking
- Walk around and ask *everyone*
- look for flyers/posts in cafes, internet cafes, pulperias/grocery stores, ICE offices, etc.
- enlist your hosts help
- ask at other hostels
- look for "for rent" signs (but these are often left up even when the place is already rented)
- try craig's list
- get the paper La Nacion

when you ask, make sure to ask about "unoccupied" houses or apartments.  When you ask for one "for rent," you will get pointed to places that are rentals, but often already rented out.

you can get a better deal if you sign a 1-yr lease.  But I don't recommend that until you know in what area you really want to live.

keep in mind that even if you sign a short (e.g., 2-month) lease, you can extend it for 3 years w/ no change of terms (there is a cap on rental increases, but I don't remember what it is).

you can check my blog for more - click on the "home" or "house" label in the right column.

:D  Thanks Julie!

Love your blog!  So fun to hear all about your experience!  I will look into the tips you gave.  Staying with a host family sounds interesting!  I wonder if they are kid friendly?  ;)

Thanks so much for your help!  You have no idea!

Sondra

Hi Scott!

Thanks for the message!  I will call this week!  Sorry for the delay in response, been crazy here.

My number is 830-431-1272!

Sondra

For rent definitely www.economicos.com is the best. The only thing is you must understand a little Spanish. Most of the owners speak poor English or not speak English at all. It helped me to find apartments in 3 days. Even faster, if you want, but not recommend it, especially with the child.

Ask people here or ones you meet (I got very good help from guys in the hostel I lived) to find proper neighborhood because some are dangerous at night especially in San Jose (like in all parts of the world).
Before I found the apartment I have been staying in the hostel Gaudys. They even have private bathroom rooms. No A/C, which is good because I got cold each time I used A/C in any hotel here. Nice, Clean, very friendly for foreigners, listed in Hostelworld.com.

Just remembered, I've found nice condo with fully furnished apartments for rent nearby Sala Garbo cinema in San Jose near downtown. Next door to the cinema is small English speaking theater making plays from classic Shakespeare to 'One flew above cockoo's nest'.

Hope my info will be usefull.

Regards,
Andrey

Thank you Andreym!  I will take a look at that site NOW! 

Thanks so much!