Info Bank account, plugs, money exchange & Sim Card

Hi everyone! In few days I will fly to Maldives for work. Could you tell me which is the best bank, what is the procedure, which documents I will need and how long it will take to open a bank account? Do I need to exchange euros to dollars before flying or i will be ok to exchange my euros directly at the airport? I will need a Sim card. Can I buy it at the airport? WHere else could I find it? I would like to specify that I will go to work  in Alifu Atoll

Thanks for all your help

Roxy

Hi Roxy and welcome to Expat.com!

I invite you to take a look at this thread > https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=112479.;)

Harmonie.

Thank you Harmonie. That was helpful.
I am a little bit confused about local currency. The Maldivian currency is the Rufiyaa, but checking the websites, it looks like resorts accept only dollars....Would like to know if, for a person who will live in the Maldives, it is necessary and convenient to Exchange Euros to dollars or to Rufiyaa?

Thank you Harmonie

hi roxy

Could you tell me which is the best bank,
i will recommend bank of maldives

what is the procedure,
you will need to get your work permit card and the procedure iw very simple, once you have the documents it will take less than 1 hour to open the account

which documents I will need and how long it will take to open a bank account?
passport original and a copy,
   work permit card and a copy,
   letter from the employer
   your emploer normally do this for you, they will help you open a bank account

Do I need to exchange euros to dollars before flying or i will be ok to exchange my euros directly at the airport?
highly recommend that you exchange it before you arrive as you get better exchange rates for dollars then euros in maldives

I will need a Sim card. Can I buy it at the airport? WHere else could I find it?
yes from the dhiraagu or wataniya counter at airport you can buy it, you will need your passport to get this, it will take about 10 minutes, most of the time someone at the your hotel will lend you a sim till you go to male and get one, hence no worries,

cheers
mooch

the resort will accept Euros, Dollars rufiyaas and other major currencies,

i highly recommend that you bring dollars with you so that you can get a better x-rate,

cheers
mooch

Thank you Mooch for giving me a detailed and clear reply! See you soon in Male!