JOB

Hi All

I have been applying for jobs in Malta for a few months without success.  It looks like I am being made redundant in the next few months.

My question is will I find it easier to get a job in malta if I move over?  i think the reason I am having no luck is the fact that I am in the UK.

Any help & advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Jo

Hi bibbles,

it certainly is easier to get a job if you are already in Malta.

But the question is whether you are not getting any response because you are not in Malta or because there are no jobs that fit your qualifications.

Most job agencies have a lot of potential employees on their lists and like to interview but don't have many jobs to offer unless you have the highest qualifications. So it wouldn't be worthwhile for you to come over to Malta just for an interview that puts you on a list without actual job offers.

What kind of work are you looking for?

Cheers
Ricky

In part I do agree with Ricky.

I got interview over the phone with a company, then flew to Malta (Twice) for formal interviews and between the formal ones also had another Skype interview.

I then started with the company and after 2 months was told that they are changing how they do things and that my role was no longer going to be available.... Horror .... but due to my other PM skills after a week they called me back and offered me a Project Leader role.... which i accepted... although in the meantime i had managed to secure in 1 week 4 interviews with different companies....

I think what I am trying to say is that yes you can look from UK, and really the agencies do try and find work for you but it is easier if you are on the spot to go to an interview immediatley.

Obviously if you have enough to live here and survive then it would be easier being in Malta (It took 4 months to actually get the position that I initially came for, probrably spent more on flights than if i had been here)

Julian

Hi

I currently work for a bank as an Orders Team Analyst.

Role that I have been applying for are customer service roles in offices

I have applied for things in offices that I have never done but have the skills to do

I am willing to do anything really & my husband is also now starting to apply for stuff.  He has his PCV so ideally would like to work for Arriva or would like any driving job

Thanks for the replies

cheers
Jo

Hi Jo ,

Arriva as a bus driver is a safe bet if he learns Maltese although the pay is only average ( 1200€/month with a lot of hours).

Most customer service jobs in Malta ( HSBC and others) are being scrapped unless you speak several non-English languages.

Malta has just been downgraded to A- which is just above junk so don't expect too much . IF you have UK money (GBP) keep it in the UK.
Cost of living in Malta for a foreigner is more expensive than in his/(her home country. Unless you are talking about London or Paris but you can't compare !

Cheers
Ricky

Hiya

Any idea what agencies I could register with please

Thanks
Jo

Jo,

There are quite a few, most have the same jobs on offer..

www.castilleresources.com - Financial and IT
www.konnekt.com - Fincial, Legal, IT & some general
www.muovo.eu - Igaming, Financial, & IT
www.reedglobal.com.mt - General
www.keepmeposted.com - General Not Agency but Direct contact with advertiser
www.vacancycentre.com - General Not Agency
www.etc.gov.mt - Malta Job centre

This is not a complete list and maybe if someone would like and has the time they could possibly create a Sticky in the Work Forum to include all agencies...

By the Way I DO NOT WORK FOR ANY OF THEM ;)

Julian

thanks

they are pretty much all the ones that i have been looking at

my husband wants me to be brave and move with no job ....

dont think i am that brave :(

To tell you the truth, if you have some money to live on then it would be no problem, especially this time of year when all the summer Jobs are coming up...

i.e. work in a bar or resturant and look for more skilled work when you are here.. he should quite easily get a job as the Brits were actually driving the buses out here for a bit ... although the wage isnt brilliant its a start

Good Luck what ever you decide

Julian

thanks Julian

might just bite the bullet & come over!!

ricky wrote:

Malta has just been downgraded to A- which is just above junk so don't expect too much .

A- is 4 grades above junk

"Cost of living in Malta for a foreigner is more expensive than in his/(her home country. Unless you are talking about London or Paris" - I reckon its still 25% cheaper than the UK - a big part of this is the lack of council tax compared to UK

ricky, that's interesting that you say it is more expensive than the UK.I would have thought that the cost of housing alone would have outweighed any upward difference in other fields.granted I have only been using the internet to compare but,using the Maltasupermaket .com site to compare my weekly shopping that alone is 12% cheaper. I shall be over on Tuesday so I will be able to find out if I have been living in cloud cuckoo land!
Hope to run in to some of you in the next few weeks. Cheers!

Hi,

I look forward to hearing your up-to-date comparison on the cost of living between Malta and the UK . I just got back from Germany yesterday evening with AirMalta and must say ..... Germany is much cheaper ....and the salaries are twice as high ...or more !

We meet every Wednesday at Surfside in Sliema  at 7 pm! Just come along for a beer and a chat -))

Cheers
Ricky

as much as i usually agree with Ricky..this time i have to disagree - utiltiies here are much cheaper for a kick off - and theres no tv licence now (i think) and there is no council tax that immediately makes it cheaper, fags and booze is cheaper too....i think what makes the groceries bill cheaper in uk and maybe germany ( not that i know anything about germany) is probably that there is more choice in terms of major supermarkets. certainly Uks asda tesco sainsbury and morrsions are defintiely cheaper than anything and everything here. I know we have Lidl but its not enough - we need true competition and the sooner these big stores make in roads to malta (even online) (oh how is wish that would happen but id bet theyd be blackballed by the corporate entities here)

good luck to you when you get here and hope that you enjoy it no matter what the outcome.

agree, other than TV licence - its still in place for 2012, and given there is an election coming, no certainty will go - even so, its about 25% of UK licence fee

renting property is FAR cheaper than the UK - what could you get in the UK for £300-350 a month ? Here you can get a furnised 3 bed apartment with seaviews

yes wages are generally lower than the UK, and the chances are your lower coast of living is balanced by the lower wages.

as TA says

fags and alcohol are around 50-75% of UK prices

georgeingozo wrote:

agree, other than TV licence - its still in place for 2012, and given there is an election coming, no certainty will go - even so, its about 25% of UK licence fee

wasnt 100% sure George just read somehwre recently there was a big hoo-ha over renewals and that someone had said it was abolished from jan 2012. even if its still in place i think its still considerably cheaper than a uk tv licence  - uk currently £145.50 and i think the malta one is less than 60 euros for upto three sets.

georgeingozo wrote:

as TA says

fags and alcohol are around 50-75% of UK prices

fags are considerably cheaper between 3.50 and 4.30euros here for a box of 20...whereas the equivalents are between £5.50 and £7.50 for the same box of 20.....in the uk.

as for booze a pint here is about 3 euros for cisk, draught can be had for 2.50 euros, 500ml cans of strong lager (5%) can be had for as little as a euro and upto about 1.80 euros...canned beers such as john smiths and worthingtons are about 2.75 euros.

Note theres not a lot of draught beers here mainly bottled or canned.

you can get a small range of quality english bottled beers (eg Hobgoblin) for about € 18 for 12 500ml bottles - thats delivered to your door prices

a reasonable selection of Belgian proper beers as well eg Duvel, Maredsous

Hello in there maybe this will help you. we have been in Malta since September Luckily my wife got a good job prior to coming here through a UK recruitment agency I think it was called reeds.I was working for Siemens Energy in Scotland as a service planner for the largest onshore wind farm in Europe. So in order for us to move i had to resign my position and take the chance of finding work here. so far i have been unsuccesfull. I have had 1 interview for a driver which i was over qualified !!!  although the interviewer was helpfull and regogonised this he thought it would help to start the interview process in Malta as he had had a similar experience living abroad.

The second job i went for was driving a 30 tonne crane wich i got but packed it in 2 days later as i considered it unsafe !!! no health and safety here at least not on the construction side of things. so i,m still applying for work on a daily basis through the Malta ETC.You can sign up to this from the UK and they will  e mail jobs to you on  a daily basis. this will give you an idea of whats available.Sometimes the information can be a bit vague as in exactly what qualifications are required and what wage will be paid(Thats another thing dont be expecting the same type of wages as you have in the UK. I BELEIVE THE AVERAGE EARNING ARE AROUND £15000 p/a.)Anyway i have found the ETC to be quite helpfull indeed they have now signed me up for a city and guilds course at College on Health and Safety at no cost. I will continue to re educate myself by this means until i find the right job.Here are the contact details have a look on the website and sign up anyway even if its just to have a look, I hope this helps you or someone in someway and if anyone has any other information on getting work here please let me know.

Employment and Training Corporation (ETC)
Head Office,
Hal Far,
BBG 3000,
Malta
T: (+356) 222-01-221\3
E: [email protected]

http://www.etc.gov.mt/Index.aspx

Hi weesmiler

Thanks for the post...I have been looking at that particular website for a while now

I will have another look in more detail

Good luck with thw job hunting!!

Cheers
Jo

i think you are being a rather large bit optimistic at £15000 being the average salary here - more like 12-14k euros.

Many Maltese earn far less than this and work at two or three jobs to make ends meet...

You could be right there. I suppose it depends on who you speak to, makes you wonder though. as i find it quite expensive here. but you do see a lot of Maltese driving around in big flashy cars !!!

weesmiler wrote:

You could be right there. I suppose it depends on who you speak to, makes you wonder though. as i find it quite expensive here. but you do see a lot of Maltese driving around in big flashy cars !!!

if they are younfthe cars are likely to have been bought and paid for by their parents and the insurance too - my son had to pay over 1000 euros for insurance hes 22....fully comp tho on a 10 year
old fiat....

looking to move to Malta later this year to be with my partner who is resident and in full time employment in Malta.  Problem for me is the work situation. Have worked in UK for 22 with civil service dealing with uk tax which is not a lot of help for work in Malta, on the positive side spent 12 years with London transport so also looking at Arriva.
But finding work prior to moving is not easy and dont want to move without some (any) type of work.

weesmiler wrote:

fair bit of drugs money...

Hi,

I am currently working at a contractor company as a quantity surveyor in london, but have a desire to move to a better place to live,Malta - and surprisingly spotted an add, BAYSWATER CONTRACTING CO LTD is recruiting QS- does anyone know this company
Any info would be great as its website is down for maintenance. 

cheers

Hi Xemex,

welcome to the forum.

This is part of their description that you can find on the www:

http://www.made-in-china.com/traderoom/ … -Ltd-.html

'Bayswater Group is formed by Bayswater Contracting Co Ltd & Bayswater International Co Ltd. Since 1989, when Bayswater Contracting Co Ltd was founded as Bayswater Engineering Co Ltd, Bayswater Group has flourished into an achieving team of professionals and skilled men. Bayswater Group has offered different services through its existence, including Man-Power Supply & Turn-Key Projects as the two main services of the Group. Our clienteles have always been praising and satisfied with our final product set to the finest standards. Bayswater Group is always keep its self up-to-date to new technologies, techniques & systems to ensure the finest quality of our product'.

As typical for Malta the use of the English language is not really professional but I'm not sure who wrote the promotion text - Bayswater themselves or somebody else.

I've never heard or seen of them here in Malta.

I wish you luck with your job application.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Thx for your reply.
I am not pretty sure it is the same company.
If you have time, could you please have a glimpse at the vacancy -the link was pasted here.

http://www.youth.org.mt/?m=vacancies&a=list&id=239242

Thx in advance

Hi Xemex,

it is the same company as the address in Siggiewi is the same and the contact person is the same (Joe Vassallo). Vassallo a name known in the building industry in Malta.

If you get more details , in particular about the salary, feel free to ask.

If your current job is well paid and safe I would be cautious. Life in Malta is best when you are earning enough money to afford it . Sadly the average income is around 12.000 €/year and not many earn upwards of 20.000 €/year which is a comfortable income.

Cheers
Ricky