Driving in Libya

Driving in Libya is not for the faint-hearted!

Lane discipline and road manners do not exist (with the very rare exception) and accidents are common, especially end-to-end shunts and minor scrapes.

All drivers must carry an original Libyan driving licence with them in the car, along with the insurance and car registration documents.

It is compulsory to wear seat belts in the front seats, but not in the back, and it is common to see kids scrambling all over the front and back seats without restraints.

What to do if you are stopped by the police?

The chances of being stopped by the police are higher if you are driving a foreign owned car (identified by the blue numbers on the registration plates), as they see foreigners as an easy target.

Common reasons for being pulled over are:

- Having a dirty car;

- Driving too slowly;

- Keeping in the correct lane at the lights (instead of following the other idiots all over the place);

- Signalling too soon before turning.

I $hit you not...

You'll be expected to hand over your licence and car documents for inspection and your licence will be confistcated by the cop. Usually they will write you a ticket and hand you a copy - give this to your company PR / facilitator to sort out. If it's the weekend or close to a public holiday, the cop may request a "charitable donation" to make your problem go away. Don't give them money, they are all after some extra cash to take their girlfriend/boyfriend out.

If you are really unlucky, you'll be stopped by another cop 1 minute down the road from the first one - it's not unheard of for them to set up drivers like this.

If you are not carrying your documents, you're liable to be arrested and have to drive (with the cop) to the local station, where they will impound the car.

Will it be better to use a driver - can an expat employ a driver if your company only allows for one for 3 months + Are women hassled more by the police?

I'm driving in South Africa and would prefer to drive myself.. 

Thanks

For anyone not used to driving [moderated: keep that kind of comment for you], a driver is your best option.

Either buy a car yourself and hire a driver, or you can hire a car which comes complete with driver/servicing/fuel etc for around 1,000Lyd a month

hi Sandman (and all)

Out of interest what does a 1000lyd a month get you in terms of useage. What hours are they availble? Are there limits on distance or number of trips etc?

Cheers

Gibraltar

My husband is coming to  Libya to work in September,he would like to know the best place to lease a 4x4 and what would the price would be.

Gibraltar wrote:

hi Sandman (and all)

Out of interest what does a 1000lyd a month get you in terms of useage. What hours are they availble? Are there limits on distance or number of trips etc?

Cheers

Gibraltar

The wife of a work colleague uses a guy who drives a good condition Corolla (or similar Jap hatch), AC and all the other stuff works.

He works as required, which is normally Sun - Thurs 8.30am till 5, sometimes later.

The only extra she dashes the driver is if they are out really late (ha ha I wish...) or if she does an all day trip out to Leptis or some other ruin. A tank of fuel is only 10 Lyd :D No limits on distance or number of trips.

No contract to sign either, it's all done around Sharia business code :rolleyes:

sandyt wrote:

My husband is coming to  Libya to work in September,he would like to know the best place to lease a 4x4 and what would the price would be.

How long does he want to lease for? Short-term 1 month or so, try Avis. Most other companies will hit you for a minimum 12 month contract.

BEWARE

The driver of any vehicle which he doesn't own, MUST carry a letter of authorisation from the owner (in Arabic of course)!

Thank you for your reply.I also took your advise on reading the information on here for advise on life in Libya.

hi all,

we are still quite new to the country, what other companies exept Avis are providing  car leasing services? and how much does it cost to lease a modest car (e.g. hyudnai) for 12 month? Has anybody tried it?

and what to do with minor scratches and ent-to-ends (during a year in this country they are a must, I believe ;))? how does the car leasing company react? I'm aware about the insurance, but how does it work? are you to stay in place and wait for the police? or what?

Driving regulations in Libya http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=43527

Be warned - New law for expat drivers http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25481

Country codes for the blue foreigner car registration plates
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=46419

Wow, MoEl. You're just pathetic. Stop spamming old threads just to get your post count up.

Not spamming. See CCC for the expatriate in Libya.

Okay... although I suppose I can see what you're trying to do, I have to question why the heck you see posting links at the end of threads like this as more logical than grouping links to all related subjects in one place (your thread)?

Thebigtuna wrote:

Okay... although I suppose I can see what you're trying to do, I have to question why the heck you see posting links at the end of threads like this as more logical than grouping links to all related subjects in one place (your thread)?

It would've taken longer.

How about when any newbie to the Forum posts a question we all now has been answered about 20 times before, we just post a reply: Pls send PM to Mo ?
:D