Pregnancy/giving birth in Ghana

Hi,

I am Esi, married to a Ghanaian and we will be relocating to Ghana Takoradi for the following 2 years. We are thinking of having kids but I am concerned with the health facilities available. Do you have experience with being pregnant and delivering in Ghana and what would be your advice?

I am not so much concerned with being pregnant in Ghana (I know that there are good health facilities available), it is giving birth in Ghana that is putting me of (cultural differences). I am more leaning towards returning to my home country (Belgium) to give birth, it remains to be seen if that can be organized with my job.

Thanks for your input!

Dear Esi,
I am in the same situation as you are..
I know in Accra there is one german lady gynecologist.
But for giving birth I will go to Belgium.

is better you give birth in belgium than in Ghana

please help me to understand - are there private facilities at the hospital or is it only public?  is there rreally just one foreign gynecologist?

Thanks for the response!

@ Belgium could you please send me the details of that gynacologist by personal message? Is it the one you are visiting during your pregnancy in Ghana? Thanks!

Felicity,

This is the only foreign gynaecologist I know in Accra,
but you have a good private hospital as well, the Lister hospital in Accra.

thank you very much.  can someone give me an idea of how easy/ difficult it might be for a Caribbean resident to be accepted for work in Ghana

Hi Empress Felicity,

You should start a new topic on the Ghana forum. Thank you.

go back to give birth, make sure the kid gets the belgian nationality as well.....

anything else is crazy...