People Living in Compounds! Need your Attention!

I wanted to ask you guys is it oksy for a visitor (who is allowed inside compound) to visit Recreation area,now i know every compound has a different kind of Rec area,but usually the one which holds Parties,swimming pools,Billiard,Gym,markets,restaurants etc.Would they ask you if you're a visitor or resident or once your in a compound you can.I had this doubt that these places in compounds are only for it's resident & if they think your an outsider they'll question you.Although i know you can visit with the resident.I'd like your opinion on that.

Anybody from Najd Compound here?

its not like that on the DQ...

@born2network

Pls explain,what is NOT like that in DQ ?

I have yet to see any one questioned for using of the restaraunts, etc... and I have never been asked for any ID or anything except at the embassy.

Allowed for all visitors IN SOME COMPOUND like ALwadi compound & Alhmari Compound .I don't have info about najed compound

Its fine for visitors in Sharbatly! Once they are in, then no more problems.

Born2Network wrote:

I have yet to see any one questioned for using of the restaraunts, etc... and I have never been asked for any ID or anything except at the embassy.

The DQ isn't a compound.  The restaurants are public.

I'm not sure what's officially allowed in compounds. Anyways from my side i believe, i can arrange it in my compound!

hmmn so you guys think you can go to Recreation area or attend parties if you want? i mean once your inside the compound.

crybaby1 wrote:

hmmn so you guys think you can go to Recreation area or attend parties if you want? i mean once your inside the compound.

You're missing the point.  You have to have friends living in the compound FIRST, friends who invite you and put your name on a list at the gate.  At the gate, you will be asked for your passport for security reasons.  If you're Saudi, like you are, you most probably won't be allowed in. 

Why? Because compounds aren't for Saudi's looking to escape their culture and the society they have built; compounds are for expats to be able to have some semblance of the life they once knew.

@Alliecat

That is what i've mentioned in my earlier post,my cousins live in compound & im allowed in BUT im not sure as a visitor if i can go attend their Recreation centre W/OUT them.

crybaby1 wrote:

@Alliecat

That is what i've mentioned in my earlier post,my cousins live in compound & im allowed in BUT im not sure as a visitor if i can go attend their Recreation centre W/OUT them.

go try .. if they kicked you out then you are not allowed :D

@Ackeles LOL dont wanna take any chance,i'd rather not go haha

crybaby1 wrote:

@Alliecat

Actually, you never mentioned this (read your earlier posts).
I would say, from my experience, your 'host' has to be with you according to the rules, but I guess it all depends on the diligence of recreation staff.

Alliecat wrote:
crybaby1 wrote:

You're missing the point.  You have to have friends living in the compound FIRST, friends who invite you and put your name on a list at the gate.  At the gate, you will be asked for your passport for security reasons.  If you're Saudi, like you are, you most probably won't be allowed in. 

Why? Because compounds aren't for Saudi's looking to escape their culture and the society they have built; compounds are for expats to be able to have some semblance of the life they once knew.

I have heard that the compunds are off limits to Saudi's but I just moved in to the FAL and there are Saudi's all over the place.  I don't have a problem with that but I was under the impression I would see more Westerners and English speaking people in the compound but so far that hasn't been the case. They don't seem to have a problem getting around the compund and nobody asks them any questions.  I see signs that say women aren't suppose to be wearing the traditional garb inside however I see a lot of them walking around wearing it. Seems they are very lax on the rules at the FAL compund.

Well, the management of your compound is lax IF it's supposed to be a 'Western' compound. 

I know that some compounds are 'mixed,' but the problem with that is that the conservative residents don't exactly believe in 'live and let live' and make life uncomfortable for those who are more liberal.

We live on a 'western' compound in Jeddah, but its no more than 25% western, and each day you see many, many in Islamic dress, on Friday the place is a ghost town.

Alliecat wrote:
crybaby1 wrote:

@Alliecat

Actually, you never mentioned this (read your earlier posts).
I would say, from my experience, your 'host' has to be with you according to the rules, but I guess it all depends on the diligence of recreation staff.

From my earlier post:

I wanted to ask you guys is it oksy for a visitor (who is allowed inside compound ) to visit Recreation area

I guess it expalined my point pretty clearly!

1967tazz wrote:

We live on a 'western' compound in Jeddah, but its no more than 25% western, and each day you see many, many in Islamic dress, on Friday the place is a ghost town.

Wow! May i ask you what are you doing in this 'Ghostly' Islamic country then?

crybaby1 wrote:

I think I read this the same as Alliecat, but maybe I understand a bit better after re reading. If your cousins invite you onto the compound then my understanding is you can use the facilities as you want - but it wasn't that clear to read at first and as I say I think alliecat also read it as can you go there as and when you feel like it and use it. In which case no, not from my experience, i have always had a friend put my name on the gate.

Louise.Welge wrote:
crybaby1 wrote:

I think I read this the same as Alliecat, but maybe I understand a bit better after re reading. If your cousins invite you onto the compound then my understanding is you can use the facilities as you want - but it wasn't that clear to read at first and as I say I think alliecat also read it as can you go there as and when you feel like it and use it. In which case no, not from my experience, i have always had a friend put my name on the gate.

To be fair I have never gone to anyone else's compound to use facilities without being with them so maybe you do have to stay with your host. I know on arab investment they used to call through to the villa to make sure my guests were actually here for me and not just abusing the system

Heyyy Alll how are you guys ? i'm new here and i liked the topic that you are talking about and i want to share my opinion . actually i came from jordan and i found this country is so boring the life style is so boring and i'm looking to have fun in compounds becouse i want to get out from this boring life .

Why don't you ask your cousins if you can visit the compound without them ? They will give you the best answer

Dubliner1967 wrote:

Why don't you ask your cousins if you can visit the compound without them ? They will give you the best answer

This discussion was from 2 years ago.  We never heard from 'crybaby' again.

And she was pretty pissed with 'Ghost town' eh!

crybaby1 wrote:

I wanted to ask you guys is it oksy for a visitor (who is allowed inside compound) to visit Recreation area,now i know every compound has a different kind of Rec area,but usually the one which holds Parties,swimming pools,Billiard,Gym,markets,restaurants etc.
Would they ask you if you're a visitor or resident or once your in a compound you can.I had this doubt that these places in compounds are only for it's resident & if they think your an outsider they'll question you.Although i know you can visit with the resident.I'd like your opinion on that.
Anybody from Najd Compound here?

There should be no restrictions to go to these recreation areas -if you're already inside a compound...except of course, for halls or areas that some people has rented for their private parties. They'd call you a gate crasher then... :D

Well said Ali Cat

TroyWaz wrote:

Heyyy Alll how are you guys ? i'm new here and i liked the topic that you are talking about and i want to share my opinion . actually i came from jordan and i found this country is so boring the life style is so boring and i'm looking to have fun in compounds becouse i want to get out from this boring life .

go back to your country and have fun, we are boring culture as you can see !