WiMax connectivity

Anyone wanting to buy one of the ZYX network modems fro Libya Telecom & Technology should be aware that the modem will not work in many locations in Tripoli as they have been configured with the wrong firmware. Anyone who has a non-working modem will need to take it along to the LTT head office and have the modem re-flashed with the correct firmware.

Also be aware that the service will not work effectively with the ZYX modem unless you are in direct line-of-sight with a transmitter. Anywhere outside the city centre and your signal is likely to be very weak.

In order to receive the best signal, even in a location far from a transmitter, you'll need to connect the modem to 2 x high-gain external antennas via  the connections at the back of the modem. The antennas should be mounted on a pole, at the maximum height possible and aligned to the best transmitter.

External antennas of any decent quality ARE NOT available in Libya.

Is there any problem bringing in external antennas into the country, if not it sounds like a good idea to put one in the shipment, provided I can find one in KL

I'm in South Africa and wouldn't mind to bring a few with to Libya when we move...  We just haven't received our dates yet. :(

Definately bring external antennas with you to Libya. They are pretty small when packed (around 30cm x 30cm x 10cm and approx 2kg).

Remember that you will need TWO antennae for each modem to get the best reception.

The specs you should be looking for are:

Type: Panel type, ZYXel modem compatible
Frequency: 2.5 - 2.7 Ghz
Gain: Around 16 dBi
Cable: 3-5m RG58 w/ SMA male plug each end
Bracket: To enable pole or wall mounting

Thanks Sandman, I will start having a look around here to see what is available. Have to thank you for all the advice that you post on this forum it has been a great help as we prepare to move to Tripoli, although as you have pointed out on previous post's this is proving to be a long slow drawn out process.

Something like this is probably what's needed:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zyxel-Modem-Antenna … _546wt_864

Individual parts:

Antenna:
http://www.rfwel.com/shop/product.php?productid=1656

Enclosure:
http://www.rfwel.com/shop/product.php?productid=1658

Cable:
http://www.rfwel.com/shop/product.php?productid=1713

The rfwel equipment is perfect. Trouble is, they are in Canada.

There is also a supplier of the said equipment in the UK:

WiMAX antennas in the UK

Is there a coverage map for the WiMax system? We will be coming across to look at accommodation options in the next couple of weeks and it would be handy to know what coverage is like at houses we may look at. I have the local IT guru here in KL looking into the external aerials.

Here's the coverage map for LTT WiMax. The transmitter locations are fairly accurate.

Using the modem on it's own (without external antennae), you'll need to be within 800m clear line-of-sight of a transmitter. We live approx 1,900m from the nearest transmitter and the connection was very unstable.

The signal within Tripoli itself is pretty good - but don't expect to be able to download much over 2Mb without it crashing. Outside of town, transmitters are still few and far between, but they seem to be installing new stations fairly regularly.

LTT WiMAX Coverage in Libya

Did you get hooked up with the external antennae, did it make a difference?

Huge difference!

We have two external antennae fitted to a 6m aluminium pole which is bolted to the wall around the roof. There's probably some minor signal loss thru the extended co-ax run (approx 10m) between the antennae and the modem but most of the time we get maximum signal strength on the modem itself. I haven't bothered checking it on a signal strength meter.

Hot off the press luvvies...

LTT dealers in Tripoli have a VERY LIMITED stock of external an antennae for the Zyx WiMax modem.

Prices for one antenna + 15m coaxial cable + connectors is 260 Lyd, some dealers also offer a fitting service which is total of 375 Lyd. Anyone with some basic DIY tools and skills will be capable of installing themselves, or I'll do it for a bottle of Malt ;)

These are not as good quality as the equipment shown in thread #6 above as they are only 14dBi gain, but they'll be a lot better than nothing.

They are currently available at the LTT dealers at:

- Ground floor, Tower #1, Dat El Imad (5 Towers complex)

- Ground floor (near the back entrance), Burg El Fatah

Get yer running shoes on folks...

Sandman6
good info on all the tech side of wimax.
i am going to buy one maybe today. it is plug and play? the LTT dealer in Zarqah-e-imama 2, ground floor offered it for 520LD.
would ext antenna, is performance compromised?

Rgds and drive safe
waqas

520 Lyd for a (single) external antenna?

Someone's raping your ass dude!

Pay no more than 270 Lyd for A PAIR of antennae

Sandman6
I have got LTT WiMax for 520LD, its a dongle. I am in Regatta B85 its a ground floor apt and there i get weak signal. some times it works fine but most of the time, it is very slow. if i take it close to window it picks up singals.
I have heard that there are some local made antenna wire that one can drop outside window and get decent signals? your views on it...
i checked dat-al-imad LTT shop they don't have antennas available.
Rgds
Waqas

waqas wrote:

Sandman6
I have got LTT WiMax for 520LD, its a dongle.

Sorry Waqas, but the USB dongle isn't compatible with the external antennae which I mentioned, they only work with the ZYX modem.

Ouch.......so then I have to live with what ever i get........
Thanks anyways.
waqas

Hi Waqas
I had a similar problem getting a weak signal from my ZTE Wimax dongle, which I resolved by using a 5 Mtr USB cable extension which you can readily buy from most computer shops.

Please note 5 Meters is the maximum length you can get away with.

Regards
LE

When you take out a subscription with LTT - for either the USB dongle modem or the ZYX modem - they state a monthly download of 10Gb per month.

Now...so long as you DON'T change the default password (this is listed on the signup form), then there is no download limit. As soon as you change your password from the default though, the clock starts ticking and the 10Gb monthly download comes into play.

I found this hard to beleive initially, but I checked the download traffic on the wireless router we have and Mrs Sand regularly downloads 2-3Gb per day!

Sandman
This is a priceless tip, thanks.

ExpatLibyan,
I heard that LTT occasionally brings in ext antenna for dongle WiMax. I am checking with them regularly to see when they have it.

There is a new wimax modem in the market (staring with B...), any reports on its performance as compared to Zyxl? or recommendations?

Cheers
Waqas

Plan to come from Canada in Feburary...I would be willing to help out with getting those available in Canada, dont know if I can ship some to you all if need be but I am sure someone can find that out if they really want something. ;)

The link for the prices and packages

http://www.ltt.ly/en/personal/internet/http://www.ltt.ly/en/personal/wimax/index.php?c=55

So it will cost me:

120 LYD for the usb + first month 40 LYD with the subscription and then 40 LYD every month for 10 gigs/month??

Is it so? How do you pay it? monthly? or yearly with the subscription?

Burak,

The Wimax is not for sale for about 2 years. I buy Wimax from black market... around 1000$