New commers family to Kl in July 2012

We have two children who will be in primary grade 3 and 4, by the next academic year 2012/2013. We are Egyptian/Canadian nationals.

Children have been in English speaking schools in Egypt (Chauifat).We noted that comparable schools in KL, are very expensive for us. Our education budget is $ 5-7K/child.

We primarly, thought that Sayfol or Mutiara schools in Ampang, would be at reach (financialy). And accordingly we are also thinking to reside near either of these schools, in Ampang.

We are not limited to a specific location to reside, as we will not be seeking jobs (i.e. MM2H). But we are hoping to be located near school and also for my wife to be close to good shopping malls e.g. KLCC, Bukitt Bintang or so..

In conclussion we would appreciate your valuable advice pls. on:
1) schooling (in our budget range of $ 5-7K),
2) Condo residence, with easier access (through private and Public transport) to shopping areas. Our budget would be MR 3-4K/month for 1600 sf and plus.
Thank you in advance!!!

Hi you need to clarify what 5-7 is? Is that 5-7 USD per term or year?

I am more familiar with secondary but 7k USD per TERM should be sufficient. If per year I dont think any primary charges that low (?) as thats 5 to 7 k RM per term. Don't forget all the extras like books, uniforms, transport, school materials (Malaysian parents are used to buying all project materials). That adds up.

Thanks a lot for your response and advice..

I meant $5,000-7,000/child/year?

I hope that would be acceptable for a school near Mont Kiara (e.g. ELC or B????)?

Hi see http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.as … c=business

Bear in mind that was two years ago and rates are up. I suggest you ask schools..... And have a stiff drink or a Valium ready!!!!

Just see the bit two years ago where primary/secondary Ed in English costs 30,000 per year (10k USD) and  increasing 5-6% per year per article. So say 11,000USD now? Sorry better get a drink AND a Valium....

Hi we have chosen one of the cheapest international schools out there, the 3 main ones that we narrowed down to were ELC, Tenby International and Sri Gardens. Our children aged 7 years and 11 years are currently attending Tenby and the fees are RM3000 total per month (so approximately RM1500 per child per month). Although because your children are younger it may not be that expensive but as they move up each year the cost increases. You will not get anything cheaper than that, most of the other schools such as Mont Kiara International or Gardens are triple the price. Good luck

Thanks Kiwi4,

We are very much appreciating your advice and looks like will go for  Tenby. WIll try to start communicating with the school. The next step will be the suitable accomodation in Mont Kiara (close to IS-MK school?). Regards..

Hi just thought I'd let you know that it takes us approx 30 minutes to get to school every day from Mont Kiara which I drive them every day. They do offer a bus service but it is an added cost of RM400 per child per month. You may want to choose to live closer if you don't want to have to travel that distance every day. :)

to KIWI4,

Thanks a lot for your alert for the transport time. we have to consider that. However, we would like to live in a good place and not to sacrifice the living condition...

WOuld you recomond names of good compound in Mont Kiara, for FF 1550-1800 sf (3-4 BR+3 Bath room) in the range of RM 4,000- 5,000/month. All the best...

Hi I can be of assistance in locating a condo of your preference. I can be reached at [email protected].

Hello TS2011,

Kiwi4 had mentioned ELC as one of his three choices schooling for his children. The community of Valencia is a gated and guarded community that is about a 2 minute drive from ELC. It has a golf course and all of the other amenities. It is a low density living area with easy access to the major roads. It consists of houses only and does not have any high rise buildings at all. I have a home up for rent in Valencia which has 4 bedrooms all with their own bathrooms. Each bathroom has its own shower. The house is very close to the pool and clubhouse. I am not a real estate agent. My wife and I own the house.
It has been our experience that expats who first move to KL often go to high rise condo areas. After some time, when they have experience with living in KL, they look for places like Valencia. Of course it really depends on what you like.

Recommend one of you travel ahead and visit the various communities rather than decide based on residence and school from online replies and research.  Many sites are not updated regularly

You might prefer other East or West Malaysian states for a long term program MM2H. The communities matter.

To: MikeSelvia,

Thanks a lot for your advice and eye opening remark...

We will act accoringly and once we are in KL (July) will make sure to visit the place and we contact you if the property still in th emarket... All the best..

Hi yes some of the schools mentioned are good I recently moved here more than a year ago and was running around looking for suitable accommodation as well . I can advise you what places to go to for you have ahold budget and for the schools as well. You can send message to me on email at [email protected] . I can forward some brochures and pictures to you. Since you have 2  young children, you need to be at place that has entertainment for kids and for your wife easy access to shopping for groceries etc .

Hi,
I'm in the same situation.Will be in KL on july. have 2 kids 14 and 16 years old, who will be in french international school. Please, need some advice.
1- which place will be the nearest by walking distance to french international school together easy access to airport road (I'll work at KLIA? I know it's very far but I'd prefer to have kids near school.
2- A dynamic area with groceries, restaurant, club....
Thanks in advance for all of those people who manage their time to help us.It's really great.
cheers

Walking in KL? Surely that's illegal! Lol

It's almost impossible to walk anywhere as country not designed for walking.

As for living areas I personally can't stand mont kiara that looks like a nightmare version of birmingham and has quite a lot of students these days piled into flats. A nice house in a gated community far better. And you get a lot more per rm with a house than a condo and mont kiara is a giant car park in rush hour. But for some reason expats like it (why??)

sorry to hijack this post but i cant et answers elsewhere finally got to kl and saw a one bedroom one basthroom furnished apartment at the berjaa times square 43 floor that i am interested in. it is going for 4000rm per month , is that a good price for that apartment, though one has tobuy washing machine and kitchen is abit tiny . we dont pay any fee for cleaning of surrounding aeas and we dont get cleaner to come we have to do the cleaning inside the apartment and pay our own water  and electricity fees. is that a good price?
here

Diana hope you dont mind me asking, ulipata hiyo flat?
I'm looking to move to Malaysia and really need help with finding accomodation, are you able to give me info?
thanks

Sun , yes i did . When are you moving to kl , Mimi naenda 28 th this month , but i was told we might have been  overcharged , so I'm looking into mount kiara and cyberjaya .

(Moderated: no free ads pls)

Thanks Celine Wong , I'll communicate to you through the email :)

Diana thanks mimi bado still searching for info. ar you going to study ama?
my email [email protected]
lets keep in touch.

Hi all,
Just browsing through the net looking for a temporary place. Found a room in a condo says in Ampang Hilir.

Anyone out there able to share info as to the area and the idea of renting a room?

How safe is this?
Thks

Dear all,
We planning to go for Tenby International school (Sertia Eco Park)for our GR 3 and 5 children. Any advice or comments pls.?

Moreover, we thought that Mont Kiara would be the appropriate place to live for its environment and social activities?! Any advice pls... and what are the best condos in this place for 3BR @ RM 4,ooo? best..

Hi TS2011,

This is an old thread. You could start a new topic with your questions on the Kuala Lumpur forum.

Thank you.

We are now settled on Mutiara Grammar school in Ampang, over other schools in the area, and for different reasons.
Now we are looking for housing, decent condo, with good swimming pool and facilities. Is there any suggestions for:
-best location to commute to school with least time and effort? As we are not knowledgable of access roads and least crowded traffic?!
- a condo with good surrounding? We saw good ones in KLCC area (Tan&Tan Tower), Flamingo Hotel area, and in Ampang Hillier.

Pls. We need your practical experience on the best place to stay closer to Mutiara and market.. Thanks..

TS2011 wrote:

We are now settled on Mutiara Grammar school in Ampang, over other schools in the area, and for different reasons.
Now we are looking for housing, decent condo, with good swimming pool and facilities. Is there any suggestions for:
-best location to commute to school with least time and effort? As we are not knowledgable of access roads and least crowded traffic?!
- a condo with good surrounding? We saw good ones in KLCC area (Tan&Tan Tower), Flamingo Hotel area, and in Ampang Hillier.

Pls. We need your practical experience on the best place to stay closer to Mutiara and market.. Thanks..

Please try to check this one

http://www.iproperty.com.my/condominium … ntral_Loft

It has very nice facilities..

I know because i stay here with My partner

Just the two of us but we rent a 3 bedroom

Our friends are renting 2 bedroom and it's nice as well