Cuenca real estate woes, LOL! Answers/help Por Favor!

Hello all experienced Cuenca residents! Please help me understand....

Before we arrived in Ecuador, I wrote many real estate agents in Cuenca. I told them we wanted a short term lease, possibly month to month, up to 6 months. We are only on a 6 month visa. We wanted to stay here and then decide if we want to apply for residency visa. The real estate agents told us over the email, that YES, there are short term rentals available.

Now we are here for 3 days. The real estate agent has taken us to see many nice places and been so helpful. But now all of a sudden the owners do NOT want a short term lease, but will only accept a YEAR lease. So we are told we have to apply for a resident visa!!! We are not ready to make that decision in 3 days! Come on now!!

Then we decline the house. So the next day, the real estate agent calls us and tells us "Good news! The owner WILL now accept a 6 month lease, but you have to pay $100 extra, and pay 2 months deposit, plus first months rent".

I dont know if this is normal here. First the owner said he had some one coming TODAY that was going to sign a 3 year lease...so he was not interested in us. Now he is. Seems like we are getting lied to. But we do not know SPANISH very well...so its hard to tell.

So please tell me...is it normal for ecuadorians to lie about other people being interested in the house to get you scared into a worse deal?? And is it normal to have to pay a 2 month deposit? Also, should we ask that the first month rent be prorated since we are moving in late in the month? Is that normal business here? Or do you just pay the full month even though you will not be living there the full month??

Also...does anyone here know of a nice rental that is temporary?? I do not want to make such a fast decision!! Help! And thanks for the help! PS..we are in the Cofradia Del Monje in room 1 if anyone has something and wants to call us!

Thanks~ Grant and Christa Stone

Hi There,
We rented through the internet for a 3 month term before we arrived from Chela at [email protected].
They usually have a large inventory and do 1, 3,6 months etc.
Good luck

Hi Christa and Grant, this is Domenick from Murali Hotel in Guayaquil...

I wouldnt stand for that... Id look for another place.  Just stay in a cheap hotel in the Centro until you find a place... look in the newspapers and talk to people. 

Remember that in Ecuador deposits are RARELY returned.  Try to give only one months rent. 

Dom

Thanks everyone for the support! Thanks Dom for responding too! I love the Murali Hotel...you were sooo helpful! too bad you are not in Cuenca! But my husband said that you are going elsewhere soon??

Well heres an update: We posted an ad in GringoTree about a house. We had many responses and we found a nice house to rent. We will be in there on Monday. It is a safe neighborhood...gated, with a security gaurd. It is a great price, furnished too.

Now we are staying at a nice hostel downtown, Hostel Hogar Cuencana (something like that). It is so nice! I will recommend it to anyone! It is very simple, but clean and the staff is so friendly too!

Okay..thats it! Im so glad we found a place! I can NOT be homeless with my two young children! no way! So that was my biggest worry! Now Im in peace! Thanks everyone

OK glad to hear that!  Thats another good idea, to post on the Gringo Tree list... hope to see you in Guayaquil sometime soon. 

Dom
Murali B&B Guayaquil

I am coming to Quito on 1/29/12 and will be looking to settle for one month in Cuenca.Possible to come for good this year.I was wondering if someone could guide me from Quito to Cuenca.I would possible want to have a driver so I could get a feel for the Country.I guess a hotel in Quito for a few days would be appropriate.Hope to hear from somebody.Best Wishes, Bill Stankard email [email protected]