Considering moving to Lae in PNG

I'm an Aussie single father of two, who is considering moving to PNG to take up a position which is based in Lae and am looking for information about Lae that will help me to make my mind up. The job offer could set me up for future employment anywhere in the world, however I've heard both positive and negative comments about the city.

I am also very much into the gym and fitness and would like to continue with this in Lae.

I would also like to know if there is a place where you can go to socialize with other expats.

Annoy information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Adam

Sabcait,
I am entertaining a job offer also on the Exxon Mobil LNG project. Is this project possibly why you are considering going there?

Hey

Thanks for asking the question, no my job has nothing to do with mining, it's retail. Ive been approached to develop the footprint for PNG hardware retail business

You should really look at these two blogs
educatingwendy.com
agoddessinthekitchen.blogspot.com

Both ladies live in Lae (although Wendy has just left).  I am in POM, and don't really have any desire to visit Lae, although work will one day have me over there.

cheers
Aaron
kiwiexpat.wordpress.com

hi,
   did you move forward with going into lae . who was the company you were working for sounds similiar to a project managers job i am looking at taking shortly for a png industrial supply company...stkilda..

Lae is not a very safe place to be in.I do not know of gyms in Lae. There are expat watering holes.

I have been coming and going from PNG both before and after independence and have turned down job offers to go back as I do not consider it to be a safe place to work, even after having done 2 years in Afghanistan.