Korean community in Frankfurt?

Hi guys! I'm new to this forum so let me tell you a little bit about myself or should I say us :)

My name is Stewart, I'm 23 and From the UK. My wife is called Jee Young and she is from South Korea. Our story is long and we've been through some tough times in our lives. Actually we met via the Couch Surfing website when I was teaching in Korea. Life was a bit of a nightmare for so many reasons and we decided to leave together. We are currently in the UK, we have very little money and Jee needs to leave by the end of April. Long story short, we have made the decision to relocate to Frankfurt. If possible I would like to ask the community a few questions with regards to Korean people in the city. Thank you for reading and I really appreciate the help!

1. Will it be easy for my wife to find a job in Frankfurt? She doesn't have a degree however she does have 3D Computer graphic skills. She is fluent Korean and her English is good. She does not speak German.

2. Is there a large and close knit Korean community in Frankfurt?

3. Could anyone be so kind as to give me a list of Korean contacts in Frankfurt. By this I mean Korean businesses, Korean supermarkets, Korean restaurants, Korean guest houses and Korean language schools.

4. Does anyone have info about the Korean church community in Frankfurt. Maybe they could help my wife out too?

That's about it for now I think :) Thanks again for your time and I hope to hear from you soon!

Stew.

Hi Stewart,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for your introduction.

I wish you good luck in your search.

All the best,
Christine

Hi Stewart,

I'm a Korean living in Frankfurt and I think I can give some advices.

First here are my answers for your questions.

1. Will it be easy for my wife to find a job in Frankfurt? She doesn't have a degree however she does have 3D Computer graphic skills. She is fluent Korean and her English is good. She does not speak German.
-> I'm not sure if there is a Korean company that needs 3D Computer graphic skills. but if your wife speaks English fluently, maybe she can find a job in international comapny. In Frankfurt there are so much international companies.

-> Yes. A popular community web site is berlinreport.com.
In this site your wife can get some information for jobs also.

3. Could anyone be so kind as to give me a list of Korean contacts in Frankfurt. By this I mean Korean businesses, Korean supermarkets, Korean restaurants, Korean guest houses and Korean language schools.
-> eu-focus.com/_board8/bbs/board.php?bo_table=inf_living&wr_id=99

4. Does anyone have info about the Korean church community in Frankfurt. Maybe they could help my wife out too?
-> There are around 10 churches here and I can also help your wife.

If you have more questions and need a help, feel free to contact me at [email protected]

I wish you guys have a good luck!.
Chao!

Hi nshelter,

I am a British girl who is interested in Korea - I was friends with lots of Korean girls when I lived in Japan. I'd love to get into the community and learn Korean too. Do you have any tips for this?

(Sorry to hijack your thread!)

Hi kotoko,

Maybe you can get in touch with some Koreans here.
forum.meet-korea.de/forum
berlinreport.com

In these websites, I think you can find language tendem partners or students for English lesson.
Many Koreans are very interested in learning English. (I also ^^)

One more way is to visit a Korean church. Attending a church is one of the most easiest way to get into the community. People tend to help somebody. If you want, I can introduce you.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Thanks.

My answers are in bold letter.

Answer: Your wife being Korean will have little chance of finding a job even if she speaks German fluently. The Germans like to hire Germans. The only type of job that she may be able to get is one of that $400 Euro/month job that most Germans don't want.

Answer: No, most Asians in Germany are the Thai and the Vietnamese. Almost all Chinese restaurants are owned and operate by Thai. As one Thai restaurant owner said to me “The Germans can't tell the difference.”

Answer: “There is an area called “Japan Center” in Dusseldorf. You will find a couple of Korean markets and restaurants.

afu49

First of all, thank you to nshelter, your reply helped me a lot! If you'd like help learning English, I'd be glad to set up a language exchange!

To afu49, I'm sorry but I disagree with you. Most of the Asians in Frankfurt are Korean, then Japanese. Source - frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=3403885

There's also a Korean karaoke place called Beseto. There's always Korean guys and girls there, so it might be another good place to start.

To Kotoko,

I DID NOT say there is no Chinese, Korean, [Moderated] in Germany. I said "most Asians in Germany are the Thai and the Vietnamese." Please stay focus.

afu49 wrote:

To Kotoko,

I DID NOT say there is no Chinese, Korean, [Moderated] in Germany. I said "most Asians in Germany are the Thai and the Vietnamese." Please stay focus.

There was no need for that rude reply. There are plenty of Korean people in Frankfurt so the OP's wife will be fine, I am sure of it.

Hi there,

Just left the fabulous King Spa's, a Korean spa just across the Hudson River from New York City. Took my parents who are here in NYC visiting from Frankfurt and wanted to know if there is a Korean spa in Frankfurt and the vicinity.  Any help on this score would be appreciated.