Tet

Another newbie who is dumb and hasn't booked Tet yet. I've been so busy with settling in, that I haven't done any planning. I understand the city will be cool, but considering work never gives off this much time, I need to take advantage and get out of town.

Can anyone recommend a good last minute spot. Or even a good travel agent? I was thinking I'd even go check out Hanoi or Halng Bay. If its not too crazy, Id really love to leave the country - Cambodia?

Thoughts?

My favorite city is Nha Trang.  I was there last year for Tet.  Had a great time.

Does Cambodia celebrate TET? It depends what you're looking for really. If it's country side then I guess Nha Trang wouldn't be the best option.

You may not be able to be too picky now if you're trying to stick with a budget, get yourself on booking.com or something equivalent and see what you can get!

Let us know how you get on!

Bonesy

Hi Remawe,

I am going to go to Nha Trang on Tet holiday with my family. To be honest, I just want to stay at my small town (located in Central Vietnam) where there including lots of mountains, fresh air, drizzly weather, festivals of ethnic minority, lakes which is great to fish etc. However, there is no travel agents here, that's why it's been retained natural beauty actually. Lol.

I'd like to recommend you an other nice place in Northern Vietnam- Sapa town of Lao Cai province. I haven't been there yet, but a lot of my friends told me that Sapa town is a worth  place to visit with cool weather, good service. In addition, you should go there by driving motor from Hanoi that could help you have  better views the beauty of lanscapes. If not, book a ticket from the agent. Hope you have a great holiday!

Sapa

http://www.antuongchaua.com.vn/userfiles/nha%20tho%20da%20sapa%20trong%20buoi%20sang%20som.jpg

http://images03.jaovat.com/ui/6/53/94/1277456595_67914994_4-DU-LICH-HANOI-SAPA-3-deM-2-NGaY-GIa-KHUYN-MI-CH-Co-549000-VND-Dich-vu-1277456595.jpg

Tuyen

Hello Remawe,
All the Amusement parks are way too crowded (packed with locals) during Tet, so it's best to avoid them at this time.  Since you didn't plan anything, the best place to go is DeTham Street in district One.  This is the backpackers' enclave.  There are a few travel agencies there that cater to open tours to different places throughout the country.  Most of the open tours are for bus fare only, but there are one price coverall open tours also (1 to 4 night hotel, food and bus fare inclusive).  The most popular agency is the Sinh Cafe, the smaller one is Kim Travel.  They are good also if you enjoy going with a smaller group in a van instead of a bus full of mostly western backpackers.  You can Google "Sinh Cafe" to find more information.  If you go with bus fare only, the bus usually takes you to their recommended lodging which is very reasonable in price and service.  But you have the option of going next door or next block to look for your own lodging.  Sinh Cafe also has their branch offices located in most major cities in Vietnam.  If you enjoy quiet beach strips, and not too far of a bus ride, I recommend going to Mui Ne (200 kilometers from Saigon).  This is a tiny neck that sticks out to the pacific ocean with long strips of beaches and hotel resorts on both sides of the road.  If you like ocean view only, Vung tau is on 125 kilometers away, either by local city bus (Eastern Bus Station), or by HydroFoiled Speed boat, that takes only 65 minutes to get there from the river port in the city near by the Riverside Saigon Hotel (Ben Bach Dang).  Vung Tau a beach town with beautiful ocean view.  The water is dirty all around.  The front beach is not for swimming because it's full of boats.  The locals like to swim at the back beach, but I found a few human solid waste blocks floating around 2 feet from my face when swimming there one day, that i treated it like it was a shark :=D.  I guess the fishmen don't have toilet facilities on their boats.  There are cafes and bars and night clubs by the other side of the road by seaside of Vung Tau.  The backpackers' enclave at DeTham and Bui Vien and Pham Ngu Lau streets also have bars and cafes to hang out too.  Enjoy it and good luck on your stay.  Watch out for purse snatchers and pocket pickers.  There are plenty of them out there now especially right before Tet.
Docwood

Hello Remawe,
If you want to see SaPa, the best way and the most economic way is to take a flight to Ha Noi.  Go to their backpackers' enclave located on Ly Quoc Su street where there is a Youth Hotel in Vietnamese it's "Khack San Thanh Nien".  Near by there, you will find similar open tour travel agencies that can book open tours to Ha Long Bay or SaPa with one price inclusive or lodging and food and bus fare.  Mot of them are 3 to 4 night open tours.
Enjoy the trip.  be safe and alert and have fun.
Docwood

Remawe,
How was your Tet holiday? :)

Mui ne is a very nice place to relax , cheap accommodation cheap beer and nice food and weather, 5dollars for the , unfortunately  tet is over now but for your next trip consider mui ne , best of luk