Moving from Ireland to India

Hey!

I am a Finnish girl living in Ireland. I am looking to move to India this summer (August/September 2012) and I would like to send some furniture and clothes from Dublin to Udaipur. Does anyone have any experience from moving from Ireland to India? I have heard that there are some strict customers rules and surprise taxes I might end up paying. What is the best moving company around? Any tips are welcome!

Cheers!
Minna

Hi Minna,

I have moved your topic on the India forum.

I would suggest you to contact our partner moving company:  https://www.expat.com/en/movers/asia/india/

Thank you.
Christine

Hi Minna,

Unless you are very keen to shift the bulky furniture, I shall suggest you to sell it out and buy new furniture in India as the one you have may not fit well in new accommodation and you will paying heavy shipment + customs duty. However do get the free offer from the vendor suggested by Christine and take a final call based on economics. Regards-Naval

Hi!

I have been reading a bit about the custom regulations and it seems that it is best to leave my stuff here and buy new in India. Maybe I just need to take a couple of flights and bring extra luggages with me. The quotes I have received are reasonable but customs can add extra "surprises" which I would rather not pay.

Thanks for your replies!

Minna

Best is to take only Single flight and not couple of flights!
You can bring important things along within the flight.
The rest of it can come through DHL . You can leave them packed at Ireland with some one you know and order a DHL pickup service through website itself, once you are in India.
This I have done before when I had to shift my things from Germany to India.

Hey Raj!

Was DHL expensive? I will be leaving Ireland first to spend some time around Europe (summer holidays) and only then fly from Finland to India. This means that I need to send my stuff out first. I will have a place in Udaipur where everything can be sent to. Did you have to pay at customs? Did you send furniture as well? I am not thinking of only bring my clothes and smaller things, no furniture etc at all because it seems to be quite difficult. One option is that I pay the airline for extra luggage.

Cheers!

Minna

hey minna...! this is rahul from chennai..i would suggest you not to bring all those furniture stuffs and all...jus come with some small luggages which you can carry in your hand...udaipur is very nice place indeed..yo'll enjoy alot there...any kind of help if you need then pls msg me back...
Regards
Rahul

I think if you are coming for a short period then there is no need to bring the furniture in, yes obviously you'll need to buy somewhat of it for daily purposes. But if you are coming for a longer stay and want to bring the furniture then I think you can get some good advice from Rajguru. Do you have anyone here (Udaipur) to receive it? as you said you have to send it out first.

Anyways, I think you'll find a solution
cheers
Kapoor :)

Minna,
1)Yes bringing extra baggage in airline is good Idea. You have  to contact your travel agent or the Airlines well in advance before travel. They can provide a nominal fair for extra baggage.
2) another way: Airlines usually have option to send extra baggage for Economical charges through same flight or other schedules and you have to collect baggage from airlines office in airport.
3) If in last minute during check in, they charge more (around 10 to 20 Euro per Kg weight). Also they might reject the luggage and send it in later schedule or through cargo, but charging a high price at the same time.
For me, When I send through DHL I had to declare the things in the package. So it passes through customs automatically. but takes time. I reached me only after 1 month. Since I had only books and other stuff which are not delicate and which I can wait    a bit longer.
but If you send clothes and some immediate stuff.. I suggest Not to go for DHL or any other Cargo service. Just bring it along through flight..