UK Car Trailer

Hi

I bought a large trailer in the UK and brought it into Hungary. I now find that trailers in Hungary have to be registered with their own number plate. This is not done in the UK. Can anyone advise me on how I register the trailer here and is it expensive. Thanks.

markru wrote:

Hi

I bought a large trailer in the UK and brought it into Hungary. I now find that trailers in Hungary have to be registered with their own number plate. This is not done in the UK. Can anyone advise me on how I register the trailer here and is it expensive. Thanks.

Hi,

I'm no expert on this at all, just wanted to get the ball rolling:

Depending on the weight of the thing (loaded) there are different requirements to meet: Lights, automatic break, etc.
But if it's something small, we see all kinds of home-made stuff all the time, and somehow they got license plates and papers, so it can't be difficult.
On the other hand a lot of people don't even bother with registration and just weld themselves something that rolls. I guess they don't go cross country with these, just inside the village.

I would think if you are towing it with a UK reg. vehicle you are OK anyway without registering it.

fidobsa wrote:

I would think if you are towing it with a UK reg. vehicle you are OK anyway without registering it.

No, I have a Hungarian registered car as I am a Hungarian resident. The trailer is a twin axle unit with a max load of 500kg.

I would simply ask a local trailer business if they can do the registration and licensing for you. Such businesses license trailers they sell all the time have the local knowledge to navigate the paperwork process.