Fit a cat flap in a glass door.

We want to fit a cat flap in a glass door/window.  Can this be done and does anyone know who could do it?  Thanks.

Hi,

Did you by any chance find anyone who was able to install this for you?

Thanks,
Carlo

Ja, I can do. Where in Malta are you?
                  cheers Rich.

Hi Rich,

I am in St. Julians area

Thanks,
Carlo

matetsidik wrote:

Ja, I can do. Where in Malta are you?
                  cheers Rich.

As your profile shows you still live in Zimbabwe I think travelling expenses to do the job might be excessive!

Ray

Nice one!!

I did think of that haha

Wembley wrote:

We want to fit a cat flap in a glass door/window.  Can this be done and does anyone know who could do it?  Thanks.

If the door is tempered glass or laminated glass (as it should be) then cutting it is going to be virtually impossible. Tempered glass will shatter into millions of tiny pieces. Laminated glass would need to be cut from both sides independently (very difficult) and then the sheet of laminate cut.

Perhaps you'd be much better off to find somebody who can put a cat port in the wall near the door. It certainly be much cheaper than replacing a glass door that has exploded.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

James wrote:
Wembley wrote:

If the door is tempered glass or laminated glass (as it should be) then cutting it is going to be virtually impossible. Tempered glass will shatter into millions of tiny pieces. Laminated glass would need to be cut from both sides independently (very difficult) and then the sheet of laminate cut.

Perhaps you'd be much better off to find somebody who can put a cat port in the wall near the door. It certainly be much cheaper than replacing a glass door that has exploded.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Put a 'Cat Port' through our wall and the cat would need a 'Miner's Lamp' as the walls are three feet thick. It would be a 'Cat Tunnel'!

Ray

The glass is neither tempered nor laminated for all i know. This is an aluminium door (not new either) and it has two seperate glass. Probably 6mm thickness and 60cm x 60cm. would it be cheaper just getting a new piece of glass with a hole done?

carlomelita wrote:

The glass is neither tempered nor laminated for all i know. This is an aluminium door (not new either) and it has two seperate glass. Probably 6mm thickness and 60cm x 60cm. would it be cheaper just getting a new piece of glass with a hole done?

If it is single glazed then it probably would be just as cheap to get a new piece of glass. I bought a piece of safety glass 6' by 1'6" (183cm x 45.7cm) for a shower cubicle for 14€, so your size with the hole cut would probably not be much dearer.

Ray

Amazon  have a cat flap and hole cutter for glass and they deliver to Malta.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Mate-Glass- … B0002AQZL6

An easy DIY.

Terry

Ja, no, living in Qawra now for past three months,
                            cheers Rich.

I gave the door to Aluminium Works, at the bottom they cut 30cm of the glass and fixed it with an separate Alu profile. I inserted a white painted panel of Marine plywood in the bottom part and made the cut out for the flap. Not the nicest solution, but easy to make and cheap.

Hi All,

Firstly I would like to thank you for all the help and suggestions. I went to 'Paul Tonna' Glass which is located in Mriehel Industrial Area and they cut a hole with the exact measurement for EUR 23 and gave me an option to buy it new if it was broken in the process which was around EUR 4 difference which is still quite cheap.

This was the best solution for me and the price was very low. Keep in mind that this was normal 5mm glass.

Thanks!
Carlo