Talatona

Happy New Year everyone :D

With all the festivities behind us, I have the "job" of packing up in SA for our move to join my husband.  Obviously with him being there, and I have been over a few times, together with the help of this forum, I have most of the information I require.  However, I still have some questions my hubby cannot answer, as he is very busy at work for the most part.

Talatona is our destination, and I know there are many expats there, but I dont see much info related to the area?

-How can I go about, or where can I find - is it even possible - to find a nanny/housekeeper/maid?  There are many Filipino male workers in Angola, I'm wondering if some of them have partners with them who can work too?  Does anyone have any information on this, or perhaps have a nanny/maid?

-What is the average monthly wage for a maid?  Nanny?

-Of the many clever dudes working in Angola :), there must be some that have wives that are teachers/tutors?  We are looking for a mature lady to tutor our two children aged 8 (girl) and 9.5 (boy) at home.  We have already purchased the curriculum in SA and have everything they need, as they have been previously homeschooled due to sensory issues causing some learning difficulties, and they learn well and progress really well - and with the current schooling situation in Luanda, no way are we even considering that option!  Does anyone have info on where we can find, or how we can find a lovely qualified lady to teach? 

-What would such a tutor cost per month?

-Finally, I am briningin my two miniature breed dogs with, they are like my "children", so I would really like to hear from anyone who has advice on bringing dogs in - and who may have recently been through the process?

People, I thank you for your time and info in advance if you are able to help :-)

Hi,
with regards to your concerns Talatona is area sutialted nearby LIS(Luanda International School) a kind of American Scholl,my kids are in French School in city.
educated maid hard to find,trust easier is to find diamonds,but good luck ~500$/month for 2 kids.
Negative for Philipinos,but check this site,too.
Dogs as far I know they have to stay in quarantine 3 months.

Thank you Dantrinca for your reply  :-)
Oh dear, it doesn't sound like things are going to be very easy over there?  It's so confusing, some say it's great, others say it isn't.  I think it's going to be better for me to come over again to look around a bit more for myself.  My husband is so busy, but I need answers on so many things.  It's frustrating being on this side and not knowing what is going to be best for our family, coming over or staying back here??

I need a maid, and I need a tutor for my children.  There must be some expat wives that are qualfied teachers over there with their husbands, perhaps wanting to keep busy for half of the day during the week?  Without this at the very least, it's no use at all ... :(

Fortunately though, no quarentine for animals.  I checked with an angency here in SA this morning, so that's at least a relief.

Do not worry so much.Things are better than you"ll expect.I know both SA and Angola and it îs safer here.

How are you managing so far? Working your way around Luanda-Sul?

Hi AngoGirl

I don't know if you are in Angola already, I guess so, but listening to all you said, I would have though that it would be easier to stay in SA if your hubby is not working in Angola for to long in the future.

I have been there for 4 years recently and had it very rough around my children, my girl 5 going for 6 and my boy 16 months.

OK to be fair we were stuck in Luanda City for 4 years, not Talatona which is much better in general, the city is a mess.

Honestly to find qualified home teachers would be nearly impossible, normal nanies no problem, unless you would like to do the home schooling.

Unfortunately there isn't much for children of almost all ages to do in Luanda since there arent many developments of that sort. The only option is to make friends and have them play at friends houses over weekends or go away to some of the places on offer for weekend getaways(not tomany either).

Sorry this is not meant negative at all, its just that Angola are only now really starting to develop more and one can clearly see that development with families in mind is not top priority, just development for business and business people in general.

Hi three2012 and LeRoy,

Angola must be one of the most frustrating places to get any info on??  Talatona in particular.  Cant find any estate agents, and when I do they dont come back to me or my husband for that matter, who is there at the moment.  I'm coming over in two weeks time to see if I can get anything sorted myself.

It's funny, I'm moving Country in a month's time (delayed because it all happens on African time, and if the man with the key is gone.... oh well, he's just gone!)  and I don't even know where I'm going and if I will have a teacher for my children, or a nanny etc. 

Clearly people don't share the details of their experiences and their information, save for a few, and to the people who have answered me here with info, I cannot thank you enough for your time and effort.  It is more appreciated than you know.  :-)

AngoGirl, dont worry. I also live in Talatona and just like you I was very concerned about finding a nanny, getting stuff sorted for our house, getting a maid... I ticked all the boxes, over time. All I am missing now is a job but working on that as well. If you speak a bit of portuguese or your husband , I can ask my nanny to recommend someone trustwhorty? I have two ladies working for me and they are very nice ( they are jeova witnesses so very honest and hard working). Maybe they can recommend someone from their community to you.
Are you also looking for a house/ flat? I have a few contacts with estate agents here so if you need I can share those and help with initial contact.
As for a tutor, maybe if you post an ad in english speaking embassies once you are here,you should be ok. American, British and South African Embassies should be good spots!
Once you get your life organized, life here is good. People are kind and  while there isnt a lot to do on the entertainment front, there is plenty to do on the weekends once you find your ground

Anyway any questions you might have  drop me a pm. Happy to share all info I have

Dear Three2012

Oh thank you SO much for your info.  I'm so pleased you answered, you have some great ideas.  :)  I'm sorry for taking so long to answer, I decided to attend a family event at very short notice.  I will be home until Thursday, then flying over to Angola to see my hubby & to try and make some arrangements for my move.

Thank you for the offer to pm you, I would like to do so in the morning, as it is after midnight now :) and I thought I would just pop in to check mails etc.  I'm going off to the Consulate early and when back, I'd love to pm you for more details.

Until then, take care,
Chat soon.

Did you find a teacher/tutor for your kids?
I believe we're moving to the same neighhborhood and looking for the same for our 14 yr old.

In an old country schoolhouse style, we could pool resources, share a teacher & have the kids school with online private schools. I have researched this and found some great ones. Ultimately all the kids could follow their own curriculums. The 'teacher' would simply help guide/troubleshoot and monitor...

I also posted on another blog of yours... would love to hear back what you have found.

Dear Patricia,

Thank you for writing on the forum & answering here :-)  It has been quite a tough time for us to make decisions with regards to our family.  Schooling was the deciding factor for us to stay in South Africa.  I just haven't had time to come and sit here and update my info.  My husband in still working in Luanda, and I remained with 3 children in Durban.  It's not easy and not a great expereince in terms of being apart from husband/dad, but we have no real solutions at this point. 
I was going to homeschool my two younger children, or look for a tutor and I love your idea of village school idea, I had thought of dong the same when there for kids socializing etc. My young ones are aged 8 and 10, and then I have a teenage daughter of 16 going on 17.  It just wasn't worth pulling her out of her private school here to bring her to Angola where schooling options are dodgy to say the least!  I also could not get here into the boarding facility at her school as it was full, so we decided to stay here for now. 
It's frustrating, but the reality of the situation at least for now.  We're always looking at other options to see how we can better the situation, and I beleive that when the time is right, we will find one.
At present my little ones are still homeschooled as planned on a brillliant program available in South Africa, and easy to pick up and leave and continue elsewhere if need be.
I'm happy to share curriculum info if you would need any.

Take care :)

Hi AngoGirl.

We will be moving to Talatona at the end of this month and I am very busy packing and finalizing the last SA stuff, I am also from Durban originally, but currently living in Cape Town.

Please assist with info of your homeschooling program  and curriculum as I will be homeschooling my 15 year old son.

Thanks and kind regards
Maryna Hohls

Angogirl,

Thanks for the intel. We had considered doing the same, with me living in South Africa but I think it would be just too hard. If you choose to come, stay in touch. Marnya (where) and I have connected too and may well be pooling resources. Key now will be finding a teacher. As for the 'school' I was looking at K12's international school - k12.com/ but happy to hear of others too.
Best,
Patricia

Patricia,
Hi. I am just reading older blogs trying to find some answers myself regarding Luanda.
I have actually just returned from Angola for my house hunting trip.
We are ready for the move, but unfortunately there is no Availability for our 13 year old daughter at LIS.

I see you have a child similar in age. Are you homeschooling?

Thanks!  I really feel so lost at this point!

Maryna,
Hi. I am just reading older blogs trying to find some answers myself regarding Luanda.
I have actually just returned from Angola for my house hunting trip.
We are ready for the move, but unfortunately there is no Availability for our 13 year old daughter at LIS.

Are you homeschooling your son?

We will also be living in Talatona.
Thanks!

Hello everyone
I am looking for a nanny to help me with a 8 months baby boy in Talatona luanda
Any help? Is there any agency for this?
Thank you in advance

Was going to reply then saw the date !  Kind Rgds Paul Eco Tur