Hoping to move to Cotacachi or Cuenco!

Dear Expats in Ecuador!  We are currently living in Chicago but seriously considering moving to Ecuador for at least a year or two if not the rest of our lives.  A couple of minor, miscellaneous questions (if anyone can help)...how is cell phone usage down there? Is it expensive to call the US? How is internet connection?  Looking to move to Cuento or Cotacachi, like the small town feel of Cotacachi.  What do most expats miss the most re: food, beverage, etc?  Can you have specialty items from home shipped to yourself in Ecuador? Should we take our car from home?  As you can see, any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!  Hope you are all enjoying that wonderful climate as it is below zero with windchills here...ugh:(

Hi ndmyterko and welcome to Expat.com!

Do not hesitate to browse through the forum, it may help.;)

You may also take a look at the different articles in our participative guide.
Here is the link > https://www.expat.com/en/guide/south-america/ecuador/.

Harmonie.

Hi,

You mean Cuenca, at least figure out how to write the name of the place you are talking about before writing a post. Ignorance is not bliss!!!

Please don't be the perfect example of this: http://notival.com/ninsianna/wp-content … ld-map.bmp

and learn something

Good Luck

Elver

Calls to the US are fairly inexpensive 25 cents at an internet cafe. I would recommend bringing nettalk or magic jack or vonage which you can connect to your computer and have unlimited conversations with your fiends, friends and family
There is broadband internet YES
You can import stuff to Ecuador using services such as eshopex.com
or transexpress.com where you'll get an address in Miami for online puchases, you'll need this as most US pages will require a US mailing address, plus you'll need the services they provide, using Fedex or UPS will make the cost unbearable which is why these services exist
Ecuador is not the jungle or the picture a typical north american has of the world, Quito and Guayaquil are very cosmopolitan, Cotacachi is 2 hours away from Quito, and Cuenca 3 hours away from Guayaquil, in Ibarra which is a 15 minute drive from Cotacachi you can find a large supermarket, internet cafes, etc, etc
Look it up! I think you need to read more.

What you miss? if you live in Cotacachi...well that depends on you! I don't miss a thing. While in Quito driving I do miss the easy US traffic though, but then when I'm in Cotacachi I don't miss the restaurants or anything, the air, tranquility and the view compensates for everything, plus I can get anything I want in Quito if needed.

Elver wrote:

in Ibarra which is a 15 minute drive from Cotacachi you can find a large supermarket, internet cafes, etc, etc

Hi Elver, does it mean that Cotacachi doesn't have enough shopping options and expats living there have to turn to Ibarra or Quito for major shopping? Other than mercado, where do expats do grocery shopping in Cotacachi? Do they have anything similar to SuperMaxi?

Can you tell me if Dengue is a risk in Cotacachi?  I had it once before, and do not want it again!

Thank you :)