Midwife wanted

Hi,

I am looking for a professional midwife or a midwife with knowledge of childbirth. I had a C-section 2 years back and wish to have a normal delivery this time. I am due in April. I would very much like to have a tub home delivery. I do not want doctors again:|:|:|

Please let me know if you know of anybody!

Best regards. Oh yeah thanks in advance.

Dear disha I can get you in contact with one or 2 midwife that works in clinics or hospital. As to home delivery, I will not recommend that, in case there is an emergency,they will not have any equipment to deal with it, and would have to be rushed to hospital. Think well what you want to do, and drop me an e mail.

casyen is 100% right!

Thanks a lot for your reply. Okay I would like to get in touch with the midwives and talk to them. See how I feel when I am around them first!

I wondered if you knew whether these midwives could arrange for water birth at the hospital and arrange for doctors not to intervene until there is actually the need for it.

What I have noticed in Mauritius is that doctors and midwives at clinics and hospitals have the mentality that whenever a child is taking birth, the mother has to undergo a C-section. It is like a must. For my first baby, the very first day we went for a doctor visit here in Mauritius after coming from UK, the doctor was like," she might have have to do a c-section because the majority of women do have a c-section here."

C-sections are highly avoidable. Wen babies are wrapped around the umbilical cord they can be unwrapped with professional massage and so many things can be done to avoid the hospital.

If I could have the contact details of the midwives. That would be great!

DISHA

it depends on who your doctor is. My gyneacologists only use c-section unless the baby/ies is/are in distress or if mother and/or baby's life was at risk.

If you don't want to have a c-section you need to make it very clear to your doctor. Here, the doctors have their say on your delivery; unlike UK where midwives assist you unless and until a doctor is needed. However, they will not recommend home delivery. I wanted home deliveries too, but my docs wouldn't have it. I do find the stirrups rather annoying though...

Last but not least, don't stress yourself as this has repercussions on your unborn child and yourself. VAC (Vaginal After C-section) is possible. Find the right person to help you.

Thank you very much alisa. That was so encouraging n hopeful!

Hey Disha

A friend of mine is having a baby in March at Nouvelle Clinique Du Bon Pasteur in Rosehill ~ 464 2640 (I think I have the name right?).  She previously had 2 home births (not in Mauritius though), and since home birth is not an option here (midwives are not allowed to deliver babies in Mauritius apparently), so she is now going to this clinic - they have private rooms with a jacuzzi - I don't think you are able to give birth in the jacuzzi though, but at least is it a lot better than a hospital, I think.
I will also try and get you the name of my friends doctor as she is very happy with her.

It is very unfortunate that people still think that hospitals are the only place to have a baby...they forget that many years ago babies were born at home all the time!  Hospitals are for people who are sick:p

I hope this helps you and I will get back to you with the phone number of my friends doctor:)

All the best
xxxx

Dear purplepixie, nobody is saying that  you cant have a baby at home. You can and you have all the right to do so. I agree with you that many years ago babies were born at home all the time, but the mortality rate for new born babies were also much higher at that time, check the statistics. I am just trying to help out, the decision belong to the parents at the end.

Precaution is better than cure! Dont take risk Disha.

Hi Disha.. Did you manage to have a home birth? We are looking at moving to Mauritius and I've previously had one water birth at a birth centre and one water home birth.  I do not want to birth number three anywhere near a hospital. What did you find out?

Hi Disha, I would also like to know if you managed to have a home birth in Mauritius. I've had two home births (in London) and they were the best experiences of my life. Like you Kiwiaims, I would not want to be anywhere near a hospital for number three! I know that in Mauritius, it is still an alien concept (even though in the 1950s it was normal practice, ironically). I want to avoid the cascade of intervention by medical practitioners as much as possible. Nowadays, a home birth can be very safe indeed! (As safe as a hospital birth for low-risk pregnancies according to uk stats)

So if anyone know of midwives who do home births, or community clinics, do shout!

Did anyone find a midwife in Mauritius?

can i chat with you if you still here dysha ?

this info is old, you have been able to get what you wanted ?

So ?

thanks

may i know who is that gynae ? thnks