Ex-Pat clubs/meetings

Hi, We are moving to live & work in Gib in the next few weeks. I was wondering if there were any weekly or monthly clubs or informal get togethers in restaurants or bars by other ex-pats, so we could get to meet new friends?

Hiya

I looked at meetup.com/ and didn't see anything for get togethers, however there were a few other types of meetups like language etc.  You might want to look on facebook as I think I saw something on there.  Will see what I come up with in my emails.

You might want to create your own meetup if you don't find anything.  Good luck and keep us all posted on what you find out.

Cheers
coco

Thank you Coco
I've already contacted a couple of people through a relocation company and been emailing a girlfriend of a contact, so quite encouraging so far. We're going to meet up with a couple of them on our recce visit out there. I think if all else fails I will just invite all our new neighbours to a drinks & nibbles party & see what happens - we're sure to make some new friends from that!
Cheers! Fruitygirl

Hi

Sounds like the way to go!  Lucky you relocating soon.  Hope all goes well! Are you transferring out to Gib or did you do it off your own back? I'm hoping to make the move next year and doing as much research as possible! Would love to hear any tips, thank you!

coco

Hi Coco
Thank you! Yes we will be very lucky if it all comes off - just dotting the i's & crossing the t's, and going out for a brief trip to meet some of the team, checking out office space, apartments etc.in the next couple of days. I can't wait - especially given that it's a freezing minus 3 up here in chilly Chester today!!!
It's taken almost a year for the job to come together and to get to this point, and all started with someone my husband met at a conference over 18months ago.
More details when we're actually there, as I don't want to jinx anything!!!! Stay in touch - maybe we will meet out there one day!

Hi

Thank you for your reply.  I'm sure all will go well for you.  I've been researching the idea of relocating since April last year, so frustrating as won't to be there now.  The ideal of Gibraltar is still appealing to me, so believe I've got the location right!  Its freezing in London, and January isn't a good month for a lot of people.  I hope the weather is better in Gib now.  I've been looking at apartments on-line close to Gib they look really beautiful.  Not sure if I'll end up living in Gib or Spain.  The idea is to work in Gib, and have a quick commute.  No more tubes!  Let us know how things are when you get settle, as not wanting to jinx things.

Good luck and all the best

Hi fruity girl
Did you find / organise any meet ups? I visit gib regularly + interested in meeting more people out there

Hi new member
Haven't organised anything yet as I'm still in UK but AM about to sign a lease on a very nice apartment in the next day or so!
I met some lovely people on our last trip out so have now got 3 or 4 favourite places to meet up for drinks at least.
Also, I have a dog so you always meet people with other dogs.....
Will post more when we're out there.
When are you going out or are you there already?

I visit when I can, next out in a few months. If you wanted to meet for a drink when I'm next out could co-ordinate? What good places have you found for a drink?

That sounds like a plan. There's some nice places at Ocean Village which are quite lively, and my husband went to a great place in Irishtown area. I also liked the restaurants & bars at Queenswharf.
I guess we'll get to know Gib better when we move over to live there.
What line of work are you in?

fruitygirl2 wrote:

Hi new member
Haven't organised anything yet as I'm still in UK but AM about to sign a lease on a very nice apartment in the next day or so!
I met some lovely people on our last trip out so have now got 3 or 4 favourite places to meet up for drinks at least.
Also, I have a dog so you always meet people with other dogs.....
Will post more when we're out there.
When are you going out or are you there already?

Hiya

Congratulations on about to sign a lease. How exciting! Is this in Gib?

Been to Ocean Village, it's nice there!

Let us know how it all goes.

Thank you.

Coco

Are you in Gib yet?

Hi Coco and Froggy! Husband starts out in Gib this week, and I am flying out for 5 days on Thursday. Then all the rest of the family come out the next day for a weekend visit as they haven't seen it yet.
Will take me a couple of months to rent our house and pack up then Ill be out for good. Can't wait....

Hiya all

A friend told me about Costa Women. There is loads going on!  Also there is Sotogrande Women too.

Keep us posted.

Also whilst writing, does anyone know of any good transportation companies for excess luggage? Won't be bringing furniture, but got loads to take in boxes etc.

Thank you.

If you have a dog we may meet you :)

We have a big husky cross GSD. We tend to walk around Queensway, Ragged Staff, Alameda etc, so if you see us, please say hello :)