Eating raw fruits and vegetables

When we stay in Mexico, we always soak fruits and vegetables that are not peeled in an iodine solution.  I can't determine from my readings if this is necessary in Costa Rica.  Can someone please tell me?  We're arriving in January.

Thanks.

I suppose it depends where in Costa Rica, but we have never done this and have travelled around to several of the more popular areas. We drink water directly from the tap here, eat salads and other fruits and veg at restaurants, as do most people we see.

I would never do this in Mexico.

Thanks for your response, liisav.

bottled water is prudent in rural areas
when the tap water is brown, you don't want to be drinking it

Bill

Hopefully I have enough sense to avoid brown water.  I think I'll stick with bottled for the whole 4 months.  It's just safer.  What about fruit and vegetables?  Do you soak yours in iodine or just eat?

just rinse in clean water, and observe closely
you know the worm/half-worm joke

Bill

Thanks, Bill.  I will try to avoid anything moving.

We have bought fruit and veggies at the local market and just employ good eyesight and water ...... no iodine.
Cheers .... Terry

Thanks, Terry.  It seems unanimous.  The food is safe.  We've spent the last 4 winters in Mexico, soaking everything.  It just seems strange . . .

We've been all over CR and never seen brown water.  We have always eaten anything and everything, drank whatever we wanted and never had a problem.  We treat food and drink the same way we do here in the States.

There are a number of people who subscribe to another forum (as do I) and water at a local level can be suspect.  There are many small areas / communities that do not have proven water.  Before we bought our property this was high on our priority list.  As in any travels, common sense will keep you safe.

I live in the southern Caribe of CR.
most all CR tap water is SAFE.  Bottled water is the norm though.
Fruits and vegetables?  I pick them and eat them right off the bush/tree/ground!
You might wash them if from the market.  As safe as the US!
PS - wash your hands anyway.