Expatriation assignments

The company I am working for has offered me a job in Dubai. I am a Spanish woman and before taking a decission I would appreciate if I could have some opinion from some of you about his/her experiences to adapt to the life in Dubai and how the company helped? I will value your opinions very much!

hi josefacs!

I would like to know some more information! Are you coming on expatriate contract? Is it a limited time contract?

Furthermore, Dubai is one of the best place to work and live! It is ranked as the top Middle Eastern city in terms of quality of life. Dubai has been a hub for expats in the recent years. Plenty of people looking to work abroad are seeking out opportunities in Dubai and it looks like they're doing better than before. Dubai is now home to the tallest buildings, large human made islands and the most luxurious accommodations in the world. You can have a very social life with more than 200 nationalities as residents!! You can have a tax-free life with luxury and enjoy the low rates of fuel! In short, if I am given an opportunity to relocate again, I will select Dubai again !! :)
If you need to ask anything specific, please let me know? :)
Good Luck !!

c u
Tabish

Hi Tabish,

It is not decided yet, but certainly it will be on expatriate contract, and for this I would like to know before hand on the problems I may face. I guess that house rentals are high, and the cost of living compared to Spain.

Where do you come from? Did you have any problems adapting to Dubai's culture? I guess you didn't because you'd select Dubai again!

Were you on expatriate contract? If you were, how did your company helped you?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Josefa

Hi Josefa,

The reason I asked you the question about the expatriate contract is because I had a friend from Denmark and he was deputed to Dubai just to take care of few things in the company; however, they dint sign any expat contract with him! Therefore, he dint get the residence visa and he was staying on visit! He was traveling every month to border for his visa renewal and that was really hectic! Secondly, you cannot rent an apartment or buy a car if you don't have your residence status (Although you can rent a car)!

Regarding the cost of living, honestly I don't have an idea about Spain but one thing is for sure!! If you will sign an expatriate contract with them, you will get an allowance for accommodation and I believe it will be enough for a nice luxury apartment+utilities! Although there is no limit of luxury in Dubai, but I'm sure that you can get a nice and comfortable apartment with your accommodation allowance! Also, please note that fact that the rents in Dubai were higher before recession but recently you can find good rates! :)
Other cost of living are not high and can be managed easily! :)
Remember one thing, Dubai has no limit of luxury and entertainment so everything depends on your lifestyle!!

I came here from Saudi Arabia! But I've lived in Canada, Vietnam, Bahrain and Thailand and still I believe that Dubai is one of the best place to live and work! I dint have any problem in adapting to Dubai's culture! :)

Yes, I am on expatriate contract and I am getting allowances as a part of my salary!!

c u

Hi Tabish!

Thank you very much for your advices.

There's also a matter that worries me and it's my female condition in an islamic country. Although I've been told that as foreigners there's not much difference from home when I read that women can't drive or do certain things, it really worries me.

I see that you've been moving a lot! and it seems that you have no problem in adapting to the different cultures.

I'll keep your opinions in mind. Thanks a lot!

Josefa

It is an Islamic Country but it is not as strict as you are thinking!! Women can drive here and it's not necessary to wear a 3abaya (Black dress) unlike Saudi Arabia!

Tabish is completely right here with all his facts! I lived in emirates for 2 years and certainly one of the best times of my life!

if you want to meet people from all over the world, dubai is the place to be!

never the less, you can always go there for a bit before moving to see the lifestyle, which I am sure you will love anyway :)

good luck ..

Thank you very much to both. I will take your oppinion, and I think it would be a good idea to travel to Dubai before taking any decision, although I am not sure I can afford it.

Thank a lot!

Dear Josefa,
I'm sure that you can afford it! :)
Good Luck !!