A nightmare in french

holly crap! why don't people in this country speak English...it's nightmare if you don't speak french here.

Yep, welcome to France !!

Lots of countries mainly speak their native language though

exactly the same feeling here lol

i am here for an internship with Airbus and fortunately english is the official language at work ..but when i am outside its a complete nightmare!

with all respect to french language and culture i think its all fine but I think with world becoming a global village they need to expand their barriers..and i have already seen that with new french generation willing to work and live abroad, they are fluent in english..

i have lived in 3 different countries (Singapore, UAE, Bahrain) without knowing their native language and I never had as much big problems as I am facing here..
never the less france is a great country :)

good luck to angelvampire and mavertu :D

In my experience French first insist on speaking French... but when I actually try to do this, they interrupt me before I finish a sentence, as soon as they get the meaning. I guess they just try to be helpful, but this makes it difficult to practice French.

In other countries people usually let you finish a sentence and then reformulate it correctly as a question - to check whether they correctly understood the meaning. - I used to think that this happens automatically, but now I see that it is more cultural.

I felt the same as you, but we are in France, so we can't fight against it lol!!

All the best

Il va falloir que t'apprennes du français alors !

Hello.

Yes, most people in France speak French, that's a fact. Why? Because lots of them didn't need to learn another language to have a normal life. Just stating a fact here.

I lived in several countries and I tried as much as I could to learn the local language. Even if my speaking was terrible, people tend to be nice to me, appreciating the effort.
Little by little I integrated (more or less) with locals.

The cultural shock might be intense for certain persons. If you don't understand the reaction of the person you try to speak too, it might be he/she doesn't understand yours either. Don't get formalized about it.

I wish you good luck with your experience in France, and take all those little stories with humor. In few weeks you'll laugh about them :)

Vous êtes en France, c'est vous qui devez faire des efforts pour communiquer. J'aime pas spécialement les français, mais j'aime moins les gens qui pensent qu'il n'y a pas que l'anglais dans le monde

@ElviraMN- you should write in English in this English speaking forum so that members can understand. Thank you.

I understand your pain hah. I mean, of course I expected everyone to speak French here. I just thought I would pick it up a little faster.

I understand all to well;; being from Canada. i was under the allusion . There would be more bilingual speakers . But after some time and practice . Your french will come,, Mine is still terrible.
But I can explain what I need ,what i want,
so patience 
If you want it, it will come .
cheers
Kim

Hi there! I suppose the reason is you are in France:))
What about improving your French then... I am interesting in meeting someone to share my French in exchange of their English.
I am an English teacher who has lived in London for 4 years and am desperate to speak English with a native speaker.
As I am French I could help you out so your nightmare could become a dream!!

I live near Calais but work in Lille.
Let me know,
elovdb