Shopping in Bangkok

Hey

My family and i are planning to travel to Bangkok very soon and we were wondering what the shopping was like in bangkok. We use to live as expats in the Manila the Philippines (3 years) and shopping was very familiar to us there. What I want to know is: are there places (for those who have been to the Philippines) like Shoemart where you can get genuine JAG, LEE, NEXT or LEVI jeans for approx US$ 20-30 or t-shirts for US$10-20 in bangkok and if so what are the stores/malls called?

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me!

Hi,

I just came accross to your forum, I never been to Philippine but I'm sure you can't find brand name stuff for that price unless it's copy and I'm not sure where to find it.

Unless if you want to shopping for nice clothes and reasonable price for you can visit Platninum mall or Patoo Nam you will fall in love ;P

Anna

Jeans will cost in the range of $40+ at deparment stores. You can find tshirts at department stores for around $20. Levis are pretty expensive here $50+ i believe.

If you want the real cheap stuff, non branded or small brands. Then check out MBK, Platinum Mall, Chatuchak (Sunday Market/JJ Market). You can find a lot of non branded / fake jeans at MBK, some generic brand jeans at mbk are very nice and price ranges from $10-20 for jeans (You should bargain to prices around that range).

Jeans are actually not that easy to find in department stores. Thai people do not wear jeans, so it is only for foreigners, hence the high price. Same for MBK, although much cheaper, being copies. But still catering to foreigners only.

Farangrakthai wrote:

Jeans are actually not that easy to find in department stores. Thai people do not wear jeans, so it is only for foreigners, hence the high price. Same for MBK, although much cheaper, being copies. But still catering to foreigners only.

I'm a little surprised by this comment. Thais I know fequently wear jeans, and the brand names are available in all the major department stores (such as The Mall and Central). As other posters have mentioned, markets and street stalls have a wide range of non-brand jeans on sale.

ThaiThanic wrote:

Thais I know fequently wear jeans.

Well Thais I know do not.
Girls wear skirts and men wear "normal" trousers.
Where in Bangkok did you see Thai people wearing jeans?

College kids do wear jeans there .... don't they ?

Maybe but I take the skytrain in Bangkok quite often, to go back home from my office, and there is quite a lot college kids in the train. And I do not remember seeing some with jeans. And outside Bangkok, none. But well, I do not look at trousers of college kids, so I can be wrong. I'll check and come back to you :cool:

Khun Farangrakthai, I think you are wrong with THai never wore Jeans, I am local and at my age ( I wont' tell ya) I wear jeans 5 days a week. All my freinds as well esp teenagers

May be those people you saw are the office staff they do not allow wearing jeans to work!

get on street side you'll see more.. Jatujak for example

though we do not have the brand "7 for all mankind" here in Thailand but I am sure we do have "Levi's ZARA, Lee, CC OO, Jaspal,etc. those produce a nice denim/jeans but the price is not $20-30 for the genuine, at least you'll get it at $50 up if it is not on Sales

Look for cheaper clothes, pls go to Platinum Plaza or JJ that price is negotiable.

Sportaddict wrote:

Khun Farangrakthai, I think you are wrong with THai never wore Jeans, I am local and at my age ( I wont' tell ya) I wear jeans 5 days a week. All my freinds as well esp teenagers

May be those people you saw are the office staff they do not allow wearing jeans to work!

get on street side you'll see more.. Jatujak for example

Yes I often see Thai people in jeans and infact many girls seem to love their jeans. I take my wife shopping and wow there is so much choice in Thailand. You have such stores as Central World, Siam Paragon, Central chidlom, Emporium, Jattuchak market, pattunam....the list is endless. Some of the shopping malls in Thailand are fabulous and so much to see.