Moving to Phuket

Hi everyone

I'm an expat currently living in Hong Kong, and I need to get out of the urban jungle! I'm working for an airline here so I can commute to HK for work from Thailand, so I'm considering a move away from the smog, jackhammers, car horns etc etc to live close to the beach in Thailand or Bali. Right now it's the only way I can salvage my job as well as my sanity! I have a few questions though:

- Is it easy to meet people in Phuket? One of the (very few) things I like about Hong Kong is how quickly you meet people here, so moving here alone was easy. I'm just wondering if Phuket has the same kind of expat social scene too.

- Is house sharing popular? Again, moving there alone would be easier if you have a social house to live in. What are the best places to look for ads?

Anything else i should know?

Thanks for any help!!

Hello Frankie and welcome to Expat.com!

Do not hesitate to browse through the forum, it may be helpful.

You may also take a look at the articles in our participative guide, it may be interesting.;)
Here is the link > https://www.expat.com/en/guide/asia/thailand/.

Harmonie.:)

Hey there Frankie,

I amdoing the same as you! Hong Kong sucks!!!
Beaches and jungle nice air that's what you need.
If you have made any progress with a removal company please let me know as we are looking for one also.

Luke

Hi Frankie,

I think you are making the right choice to move to Phuket. I came here in March last year and fell in love with the place and am now lucky enough to call it home.

In answer to your question yes there is a vibrant expat scene here in Phuket. There are many societies and clubs to join or  more informally just by chatting to the people next to you in the bar - most are very friendly.

In terms of house shares thats a little more tricky. such things do exist in Phuket but are relativley rare and not very well advertised. I think the reason for this is that accommodation is genrally so cheap most people just dont bother. [Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

And let me be one of the first to say Welcome to Thailand.

I am in the same boat as Frankie and Luke only i have a family. We are considering commuting to Phuket or possibly KK. Good luck in the search boys!

I am also thinking of relocating to Phuket from the west country in England, as I have tentatively been offered a job in Khatu. I am exploring the costs of furnished accommodation for my wife and I, but many advertise no pets, and we will be bringing our two Burmese house cats. Have others run into this problem?

Also, wages seem pretty low, what kind of monthly income do you need to live reasonably and sensibly in Phuket? (I'm not a big spender, so have a fairly basic lifestyle)

Advice and tips welcome.

The Anony Mouse

Hi Mouse!

In answer to your question i would think around 30 - 50K (baht) per month is about sufficient. An English teacher here would start on about 30k and they seem to live ok.

Expect to spend about 15k plus on a 2 bed house, depending on the area, i think Kathu is quite cheap as it is inland and not very attractive, pets can be a problem but that is normally for dogs rather than cats as muslims wont allow dogs and other owners worry about furniture damage and noise from barking.

If you need help finding accommodation or need some more specific advice then message me and i'll do my best to help

p.s im also English expat

Thanks Pete - much appreciated.

I think landlords worry about cats too, again because of expected furniture damage and so far most of the places I have seen advertised clearly state no pets!

Not sure if I am being offered the job or not yet as there has been no news for over a week now, so am hanging on and hoping!!

I'll be certain to get in touch if things progress.

The Anony Mouse

[Moderated]

I think in Thailand finding friend is not so hard but I'm not sure about house sharing. Maybe you should as agencies or maybe expat people here who r living in Phuket. I see it's ok in BKK and Pattaya but I never lived in Phuket so have no idea:)

Hi Antony Mouse,

We have rented a two bedroom, large house for 16k a month. my friend has a studio for 10k a month. As someone rightly said English teachers salaries start at 30k.

My girlfriend and I really like Phuket. We live in Chalong but stayed for two weeks in Phuket Town, it was great. Nai Harn beach is fantastic!