VISA / NEPAL

Namaste,

i am planning on a 5 months volunteer trip to Nepal. Do I understand it correctly that I need to be sponsored by an NGO in Nepal in order to be able to volunteer? Or can I volunteer on a tourist visa? Also, what schools or universities offer a full Nepalese language course and what visa do i need for this?

Thank you

Mike

Please Mike, do a little bit of the homework yourself...
Google for 'Nepal tourist visa work' and you'll get a ton of hits, at least all ten of first hits being relevant.

Check out the hits on the immi.gov.np site (immigration / government / nepal) and find the following there:

- Immigration regulation clause 19, 1994

Restriction to work:

(1) A foreigner having obtained a visa as a tourist or his family member pursuant to these Rules shall not be allowed to work, with or without receiving remuneration, in any industry, business, enterprise or organisation during his stay in Nepal .

So... No, you are NOT allowed to do volunteer work on a tourist visa.

For the schools and universities it's about the same: Google will give you your answers.

zeitgeistcowboy wrote:

Namaste,

i am planning on a 5 months volunteer trip to Nepal. Do I understand it correctly that I need to be sponsored by an NGO in Nepal in order to be able to volunteer? Or can I volunteer on a tourist visa? Also, what schools or universities offer a full Nepalese language course and what visa do i need for this?

Thank you

Mike

Yoou will find that it is safe to do voluntary work on a Nepali tourist Visa.  I have even appeared on Nepali TV saying that I was doing so and no-one came after me.

Nepal respects the volunteers that come to their country to help and aslong as you do not break any of their other laws they seem willing to let this one slide.

However, I expect if you were arrested for something else in Nepal then they would also act on the fact you were working illigally.

Yes, and you can also drive a car or motorbike without a driving license. Most times without a problem, but when you get caught, the penalties are quite severe, as are the penalties for working in Nepal without a working permit and/or correct visa.

There actually are foreigners incarcerated in Nepal for working without a work permit and for overstaying their visa (as well as for driving and being involved in an accident without being able to show a correct driving license).