Young Scottish couple new to Muscat

Hi all

My husband and I moved to Muscat in the summer from Edinburgh, Scotland.  I work as a PA over here and Dave is a surveyor.  We are both really enjoying it in Muscat although we have found it difficult to meet other young couples here.  We don't have children and after a long week at work, we tend to catch up on sleep and rest at the weekends.  Please get in touch if you are in the same boat!!

Hi kerrymuscat11

Welcome in Oman + blog we are happy to be with us,we hope you will enjoy with us... i hope you will find what you are looking for, work hard  :)

Have a nice time in here...

Best wishes
AMMAR

welcome to Oman,
pass by a Qurum area and you will find a lot of an expat.

Its good you made it to Muscat, hope you make friends soon - all the best.

Me too am considering moving from Edinburgh to Muscat with my husband who is a QS. Is life a lot better compared to Edinburgh; any chance of social worker jobs there? Is accommodation affordable and what sort of offer would you recommend if someone has to live a comfortable life there?

@kerrymuscat

Please look up Women's Guild of Oman and the American Woman's Group to network and find people with like interests. If you have young kids, there is also Muscat Moms.

@migrate

I would suggest at least 1800 Omani Rials a month to live a comfortable life for a couple. This figure considers that you will be paying car payments and rent.

Rent will vary depending on where you would like to live and the type of housing you would like. I would budget between 300-500 O.R./month for a 2 bedroom in a safe and convenient location. You should really find housing near your place of work since traffic can be a big problem here.

For social work I believe you need to be able to communicate in Arabic with the locals. You can do other types of volunteer work. Look up the same organizations I have listed for KERRYMUSCAT for ideas and guidance.