Cost of living in Malta

I am ench, I have been offered a job in a pharmaceutical company in Malta. Could you please tell me the approximate monthly expenses for food, utilities, mobile, internet, and house rent? How much is the income tax in Malta? I have read a few info in the net and they say that monthly expenses for food etc.. is 200 euros and 350 euros for house rent. The tax is 35%, which is too high I guess. I have been offered 1800 euros/ month. Do you think this is enough? I mean it could be enough for my monthly expenses but I want to have enough savings so I could sent money for my family monthly..

Hi - are you an EU or non-EU citizen ? I'm assuming non-EU as you have put Manila - I'll PM you a link covering the following

Non-EU citizen moving to Malta Q&A

1. Uniform residence permit for 3rd country nationals ("3rd Country National" = a citizen of a non-EU country)
2. do I need an accountant to apply for residency ?
3. do I need health insurance ?
4. can I work in Malta ?
4.1 How much is income tax ?
4.2 How much are social security contributions ?
5. where do I apply for my residency permit ?
6. where do I apply for my ID card ?
7. buying a property FAQ
8. renting a property FAQ
9. Importing a vehicle FAQ
10. Do I need a visa to enter Malta, and where can I apply for one ?
11. What's the proceedure for exporting/importing a pet ?
12. Can I use my driving licence in Malta ?
13. Long term residency permit
14. High Net Worth Individuals scheme

1800 euros a month is a very decent salary in Malta

Hello Ench,

Welcome to Expat.com! ;)

A new discussion has been created for your post on the Malta forum, "Cost of living in Malta" for better visibility.

Best of luck,
Rouma

thank you Rouma!

i have dual citzenship (us and italy). may i live and work in malta as a teacher of ESL? what is the average cost to rent a 2-bedroom apartment with water view? what are food expense costs per person?

Hi tomn,

welcome to the forum.

As an Italian citizen you can live and work in Malta. To teach ESL you will need the appropriate degree (TEFL or higher) and certificate from the Ministry of Education.

Most English language schools are in the Sliema/St.Julians area and an appartment with seaview will probably cost you upwards of 600 €.

As the salary for an EFL teacher is around 1000€/month you should consider cutting out food or cutting out the seaview unless you have other funds coming in -)))

Cheers
Ricky

thank you ricky!

Hi tomn it would be better to start a new thread rather than hijacking an older one as things are searched through web and this may confuse visits

Julian

if a dual citizen (us and italy) aged 61 comes to malta to live, will he be able to receive health insurance without cost, or must he purchase it?

Hi tomn,

there is no free health insurance for foreigners in Malta.

You either can transfer an entitlement (if you have one) from another EU country or

pay contributions if you work or

pay for private health insurance.

You will need to show health insurance coverage when you apply for residency.

Cheers
Ricky

thank you, ricky!

ricky,

about how much is the range to purchase basic health care insurance in malta per person? per family?

Hi tomn,

if you are over 60 there is no private health insurance available in Malta. Your request will be forwarded to UK health insurances that are a lot more expensive.

Private health insurance is usually on a per person basis as it goes by risk.

It could be several hundred Euros per person for over 60's - maybe more. Pre-existing risks are not covered anyway.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

if you are over 60 there is no private health insurance available in Malta.

thats a new one on me - I've not heard anyone bring it up

Hi George,

that is the information that my private health insurance company gave me when I became a member 2 years ago. They told me that I can stay on when I reach 60 but if I had waited until I'm 60 they would not insure me themselves but pass the request on to a British company for a quote. That would be more expensive.

My insurance is Atlas so I presume that other companies handle the risk in a similar way.

Insurance is about risk so from the viewpoint of the insurance company it does make sense.

Not that I agree as they do ask for doctors records and exclude pre-existing illnesses anyway and we 'oldies' are probably healthier than many younger ones-))

Cheers
Ricky

"They told me that I can stay on when I reach 60 but if I had waited until I'm 60 they would not insure me themselves" - ah, so if you are insured with them before 60, they will continue, its only for new customers over 60 that they then pass you on to a foreign insurer (and presumably act as agent)

"Insurance is about risk so from the viewpoint of the insurance company it does make sense." - not really, you increase the premium for the perceived risk. Its like insuring a car for an 18 year old boy racer - the risk is much higher, there is still a premium that its worth the insurer quoting

Exactly,the premiums climb anyway but they basically don't take new members over the age of 60.

It seems that Atlas does not want to take any risk for over 60's and just pass it on.

I would not have been aware of the fact if I had not asked.

So the rates would be the same as if you were taking private health insurance in the UK or Germany at an age of over 60.

Cheers
Ricky