Advice needed: noise, laud music etc.

I will appreciate advice regarding the following matter:

I live in a residence (many apartments rented to students and others temporarily living in Bordeaux.) My neighbors have recently adopted a habit of having parties till late in the night (till after 2am) with extremely loud music. They ignored my requests to lower the volume, pretending that they neither understand my French, nor speak English... even though the nature of the problem is obvious.

Frankly, I am bewildered by this situation - I have previously lived in several countries and never witnessed such direct requests for quiet after midnight to be ignored. (The neighbors are Eastern Europeans, which does not explain it for me, since I grew up in Russia myself.)

What does one do in France in such situations? (Apart from moving to another apartment.)
Is there an official time limit till when one is allowed to have loud music?
Can the residence management be of any help?
Can police be of any help?   

I appreciate any advice.

Yes, call the police.

It's really the only way to get it to stop. They will eventually be given a fine.

Good luck.

Thanks.

First of all, next time you choose to live in an appartment, always ask about the neighbours. If you are surrounded by students, well you can imagine that there will be many party times, sleepless night and non respect for those who aren't like them, so chose carefully next time and i suggest that you put a final notice in their letter boxes telling them it's your last request before taking final action...the police.